Sr Team Training Camp Roster [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sr Team Training Camp Roster [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DaddyChoc- - - at 1:25am I wasn't thinking straight! Brunson for Nneka

msf22b- - -I am not a C. Parker fan! I realize how talented she is but I always get the feeling when I watch her play every movement is for the TV camera "watch me I'm the greatest!" Skylar THE DIVA is the same! Can't stand either one!
I would rather have Dupree and Brunson on the USA team than Parker! Also Geno will not leave Sue Bird off for Sims he's too loyal to her. This is her last rodeo anyway!

Reaction Score
The youth movement needs to start this year, not at the Olympics in 2016, Griner, Stewie, and EDD , if healthy need to make their debut this year. Then you can transition other youngsters in during the Olympic year, but those 3 are along with Maya are going to be mainstays for a few Olympic teams.

Reaction Score
The youth movement needs to start this year, not at the Olympics in 2016, Griner, Stewie, and EDD , if healthy need to make their debut this year. Then you can transition other youngsters in during the Olympic year, but those 3 are along with Maya are going to be mainstays for a few Olympic teams.
............joined shortly by KML.

Reaction Score
bootonbomber- - -I agree with you about Brunson being left off the list! To me she is the best PF in WBB!
When Maya Moore refers to you as Spartacus...that's pretty high praise...

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I have learned one thing on the Boneyard, if you make a mistake or even if you don't make a mistake you will probably be corrected. :)

49 TO GO ;)
Fixed it for you!

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
While Sue Bird has been great for a long time, it's time to pass the baton. Sims would fit well.
Also, I know this is a UConn site but as someone said above, Nneka is not to be underestimated in terms of skill set, drive and team play. On most WNBA teams she would be the absolute star and she lets Candace take the credit while her toughness and contribution are the backbone of her team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would pick Stewert over both, but would have no problems if either were picked over her. And, I would hardly call them undersized. Chiney is 6'3 and Nneka is 6'2, and their athleticism/leaping ability will negate any advantage any other post have in terms of rebounding.

And while Parker may have had the better stats, anyone who watched the Sparks this year can tell Nneka was just as good, if not the best player on LA. She rarely had plays designed for her. Stats never tell the whole story. Chiney put up 15 and 8 on great percentage while being the focus of the opposing team. Chiney is also only 2 years older than Stewert, IMO she is a part of team USA future as well. Griner isn't much of a rebounder, and neither is EDD, or even Stewert. And Stewert is more of a 3/4 hybrid. You need good rebounders in the international game as well.

Nobody on the LA team is better than Parker, not even Nneka. Parker is a much better ball handler and passer.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Nobody on the LA team is better than Parker, not even Nneka. Parker is a much better ball handler and passer.

Forgive me, but that's not saying much given the Sparks lack of success. Talent or no, they do not play as a cohesive unit.

I would take Parker over Nneka simply because she has a better offensive game.
But I would take Nneka over Parker because I have seen her play great team ball (at Stanford) and she has a great defensive game. I don't think that LA is the place for her if they don't make some changes.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
DaddyChoc- - - at 1:25am I wasn't thinking straight! Brunson for Nneka

msf22b- - -I am not a C. Parker fan! !

I absolutely am not either.
She shows little leadership in tough times.
Seems real soft.
but I still don't think she can be left out.

I really don't agree about Diggins
I clearly recall some unbelievable ice water in her veins moments as she
so smoothly, almost in slo-mo, went around screens at the end of games
and beat us black and blue…and nobody could do a thing about it.

Folks may not like her demeanor, but she's a BB player…
Lot of leadership and maximizes the skills she processes.

Case in point:
Few expected her to come back after the semi-disasterous first season at Tulsa
and do so well.
Not as physically gifted as Sims, not by a long shot
but you want the ball in her hands.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Forgive me, but that's not saying much given the Sparks lack of success. Talent or no, they do not play as a cohesive unit.

I would take Parker over Nneka simply because she has a better offensive game.
But I would take Nneka over Parker because I have seen her play great team ball (at Stanford) and she has a great defensive game. I don't think that LA is the place for her if they don't make some changes.

The team ball comment is very inaccurate. One way to identify team ball is to look in the statistical category of assists. Candace is in the top 5 in the league is assists. All players that lead her are point guards, including DT who plays the pg position for Phoenix. In watching most of the LA games this season, Nneka has shot the ball through double and triple teams far too often, instead of looking for the open player. While Nneka played on a team in college that had a ball movement system, Nneka's job was to look to score. She was never the passer that players before her were, like Appel and others that played that position. Stanford's system was modified to suit the strengths of Nneka and Chiney during their time there. There are many parts of Nneka's game where she is outstanding, but her asset as a team player is her energy.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I absolutely am not either.
She shows little leadership in tough times.
Seems real soft.
but I still don't think she can be left out.

I really don't agree about Diggins
I clearly recall some unbelievable ice water in her veins moments as she
so smoothly, almost in slo-mo, went around screens at the end of games
and beat us black and blue…and nobody could do a thing about it.

Folks may not like her demeanor, but she's a BB player…
Lot of leadership and maximizes the skills she processes.

Case in point:
Few expected her to come back after the semi-disasterous first season at Tulsa
and do so well.
Not as physically gifted as Sims, not by a long shot
but you want the ball in her hands.

The leadership in tough games is an over used analogy. In the pros, many of these players are natural born leaders and they wouldn't have gotten where they are today if they weren't. No individual with leadership qualities can lead a team of players that do not want to be led. The key is to find players that mesh and have good chemistry together. Both Candace and Nneka seemed jointed in their analysis on what was going on with the team. Both pointed to needing a team identity and a style of play that the entire team bought into. This signifies an issue with coaching. As an example, look to Phoenix. Their coach stated she is their leader and she expects it to be her job to be very active on the sidelines providing the leadership. As for softness, soft players are not 2 time MVPs.

Choosing between Diggins and Sims will be interesting. It's hard to pick against either.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Folks seem to be overlooking the need for some youth at point guard. Don't think Sims is an answer. Diggins a possibility but not a sure bet. Her ex-teammate McBride is a better fit to make the team (not as a point, of course.) I think Robinson is preferable to Sims/Diggins, but regardless lots of folks are overlooking the obvious need to reload at guard.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The team ball comment is very inaccurate. One way to identify team ball is to look in the statistical category of assists. Candace is in the top 5 in the league is assists. All players that lead her are point guards, including DT who plays the pg position for Phoenix. In watching most of the LA games this season, Nneka has shot the ball through double and triple teams far too often, instead of looking for the open player. While Nneka played on a team in college that had a ball movement system, Nneka's job was to look to score. She was never the passer that players before her were, like Appel and others that played that position. Stanford's system was modified to suit the strengths of Nneka and Chiney during their time there. There are many parts of Nneka's game where she is outstanding, but her asset as a team player is her energy.

Seriously....with all that talent on the floor for LA, and the lack of success especially in the post season, you're going to say that "team ball" comment is very inaccurate? Actually what I said was, "Talent or no, they do not play as a cohesive unit."

And they don't. I stand by what I said, by what I have observed. With all the talent they have on the team, they do not appear to be on the same page when they play and if they were, they would have had a better record than 16 - 18. As for your comparison between Parker and Nneka, they are both listed as forwards, yet Parker is often touted as a ball handler so there is no surprise that she has more assists than Nneka. And for scoring, they are about close to being statistically even in all three categories despite Parker having played about 75 more minutes than Nneka.

Reaction Score
Both Candace and Nneka seemed jointed in their analysis on what was going on with the team. Both pointed to needing a team identity and a style of play that the entire team bought into. .
Buying into a style of play is pretty much the sine qua non of team play...if the team isn't buying into it, then cohesivity isn't possible...I think you and RadyLady are on the same page...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In the last 10 games of the season Sims was the leading scorer in the league and shot better than Maya from the floor and from three point range. She is going to get some serious consideration.

Reaction Score
In the last 10 games of the season Sims was the leading scorer in the league and shot better than Maya from the floor and from three point range. She is going to get some serious consideration.

I think Diggins beats her out. Going into games vs Tulsa - say last 10- the defense is going to key on the leading scorer, the leader in assists, and the team leader in Usage Factor. That was Diggins.

Reaction Score
radylady- - -And they don't. I stand by what I said, by what I have observed. With all the talent they have on the team, they do not appear to be on the same page when they play and if they were, they would have had a better record than 16 - 18. As for your comparison between Parker and Nneka, they are both listed as forwards, yet Parker is often touted as a ball handler so there is no surprise that she has more assists than Nneka. And for scoring, they are about close to being statistically even in all three categories despite Parker having played about 75 more minutes than Nneka.

I have said many times here that there aren't enough basketballs to go around for all the huge egos on the LA Sparks! The only player I can stand watching is Nneka I feel every time she does something on the court she's looking for the TV cameras, "Aren't I the greatest! Watch me dunk!" There are so many other players that I would chose before Parker! Such as Dupree & Brunson to name 2! I wouldn't want Parker SITTING in my arena let alone playing! For example Maya Moore is the Anti-Parker! You couldn't get a more selfless player than Maya!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I would love Nneka to make the team - I think for the 11th or 12th player she hold amazing value. This team doesn't need scoring from that 12th player. However I think what Nneka brings in terms of energy - especially defense is among the best in the league. It's just that if she makes it- it meant you made an extremely tough call of cutting a player overall probably superior to her.

As for LA Sparks I think the GM or whoever made the personnel decisions is to blame for this. They picked up athletes as a top priority instead of balancing their team with shooters. They have just one 3pt shooter on their team. Parker can get in the lane. Nneka can score in the lane. How hard is it to figure out that to maximize these terrific players you should get more than just one 3pt shooter? Whenever LA goes against another great team - if Tolliver isn't at the top her game, you just have to squeeze the paint.

Reaction Score
Geno would not leave off Bird, Augustus, Whalen, Catchings, if they want to play and are healthy, he is very loyal to those who have busted their butts for him in the past! This will be the last rodeo for these 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom