Spurtability | The Boneyard

Spurtability

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Clark Kellogg would love this team.

They had three runs against Nova of 10-0 or better. Today, there was a 20-0 run.

And there's been plenty more this season where UConn takes a close game and just puts it out of reach with a knockout run.

Reaction Score
2 things. Hurley is honing in on defense, his calling card. #2 just stay healthy, especially Clingan. Then anything is possible. Not guaranteed, but possible. I can see overconfidence erupting after today‘s game on this board but let’s temper it at this stage if the season.

Reaction Score
2 things. Hurley is honing in on defense, his calling card. #2 just stay healthy, especially Clingan. Then anything is possible. Not guaranteed, but possible. I can see overconfidence erupting after today‘s game on this board but let’s temper it at this stage if the season.
Thankfully Yarders don’t play many minutes so our overconfidence shouldn’t hurt too bad.

Reaction Score
There was actually a 10-0 run to start the game, followed by a 20-0 run to make it 38-7, then a 12-0 run early in the second half. Then we had another 9-0 run (maybe had a chance for a fourth 10-0 run but we passed on an open three and fed Clingan for a layup).

caw

Reaction Score
So I know 10-0 runs are kill shots but what do the nerds call a 20-0 run?

Reaction Score
Going into today, we were tied for fifth in kill shots (10-0 runs) per game according to EvanMiya CBB Analytics, and it looks like we might have had four today. Unless a team ahead of us had multiple kill shots, I believe we currently have the second-most 10-0 runs in the country, trailing only Houston. We don't allow very many, either.
Kill Shots 1-28-24.png

Reaction Score
Thankfully Yarders don’t play many minutes so our overconfidence shouldn’t hurt too bad.
Help managing my emotions toward the team is always helpful.

Reaction Score
We have that killer instinct! That is what separates this team from the others including last year's (conference play). Even when the opponent comes back or makes things closer, we always seems to be a cat toying with a mouse and when tired/bored we kill them not with daggers but with howitzers.

Reaction Score
Clark Kellogg would love this team.

They had three runs against Nova of 10-0 or better. Today, there was a 20-0 run.

And there's been plenty more this season where UConn takes a close game and just puts it out of reach with a knockout run.
There was an analytic last year that showed teams with multiple runs of 11 points or more, and the success that followed We were in the top 3 I think all year, and then the tournament started. It’s seems to be a very legit statistic.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
There was an analytic last year that showed teams with multiple runs of 11 points or more, and the success that followed We were in the top 3 I think all year, and then the tournament started. It’s seems to be a very legit statistic.

Young Sheldon and Brad Pitt agree.

I mentioned a day or two ago, at one time I was a tennis verifier (rating needed to play tournaments or adult leagues).

It drove me crazy(er) to have to debate a player's rating based on opinions: "he has a better serve, overhead, and net game so I am rating him higher than his opponent."

I looked at the final score first (the guy they rated higher, lost in straight sets); then points won; then game points won; then service winners; then service return winners ... yeah ... winners are pretty much always better than losers, but the final score is what really matters.

Bottom line is numbers trump opinion pretty much every time.

When I was being verified myself I was told I could play 3.5. I had just beaten a guy who had been playing 4.0 for years.

At the 4.0 Sectional Championship, my partner and I lost in the finals to players later "verified" as 4.5. (Great story on that match, but I don't want to drift off topic).

The 4.0 Sectional Championship was the last league match or tournament I played. (another great story not relevant to this thread).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So UConn's is on a spurt of spurts going from #17 in spurts to #3 in spurts?
Coincides with Clingan's return. He was the catalyst for many of our runs last year, too. When you force misses from midrange, you tend to have a lot of rebounders in the area helping to defend the penetration, and that can frequently lead to transition the other way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom