Spurs New Stadium-NFL Ready? | The Boneyard

Spurs New Stadium-NFL Ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ya, I had read that. If, HUGE IF, the NFL put a team in London, I don't love the idea of them sharing a stadium with Spurs. The pitch will be an absolute mess by mid-late October. Between the pre and regular season NFL games, League matches, FA Cup, Cap One Cup, and of course Champions League competitions for Spurs ;) , no way the turf will hold up. It will make thegrass from the US v Mexico friendly at the Alamo Dome look plush.

Reaction Score
Ya, I had read that. If, HUGE IF, the NFL put a team in London, I don't love the idea of them sharing a stadium with Spurs. The pitch will be an absolute mess by mid-late October. Between the pre and regular season NFL games, League matches, FA Cup, Cap One Cup, and of course Champions League competitions for Spurs ;) , no way the turf will hold up. It will make thegrass from the US v Mexico friendly at the Alamo Dome look plush.

I think thats why they are looking at a retractable surface. But it still seems like a crazy idea all around.

Reaction Score
I think thats why they are looking at a retractable surface. But it still seems like a crazy idea all around.
Missed that part. All along I was reading rectractable surface, and my mind was comprehending retractable roof. Never mind.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
There are a few stadiums with pitches that sit outside the stadium and slide/roll in for games, the AZ Cardinals is one. Sapporo Dome was built for Japan/Korea world cup, and is converts between an artificial baseball surface for the Nippon Ham Fighters (NPB) and a football pitch for Consadole* Sapporo (J-league). That uses a hovercraft-like air cushion to float it in.

Perhaps Spurs are thinking of having a Field Turf inside the stadium for NFL, and roll in the real grass for soccer? Or having two separate real grass fields fields?

*I love how J-league teams sound like japanese car model names. Vaguely european/italian sounding, probably to sound prestigious to the Japanese ear, without necessarily meaning anything. If you didn't already know the car names, and I mixed up a list of cars and J-league clubs, you probably wouldn't be able to tell which was which:

Bellmare
Montedio
Sanfrecce
Cresseida
Verdy
Camry
Miata
Vissel
S-Pulse
Consadole
Accord
Vortis
Protoge
Thespa

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are a few stadiums with pitches that sit outside the stadium and slide/roll in for games, the AZ Cardinals is one. Sapporo Dome was built for Japan/Korea world cup, and is converts between an artificial baseball surface for the Nippon Ham Fighters (NPB) and a football pitch for Consadole* Sapporo (J-league). That uses a hovercraft-like air cushion to float it in.

Perhaps Spurs are thinking of having a Field Turf inside the stadium for NFL, and roll in the real grass for soccer? Or having two separate real grass fields fields?

*I love how J-league teams sound like japanese car model names. Vaguely european/italian sounding, probably to sound prestigious to the Japanese ear, without necessarily meaning anything. If you didn't already know the car names, and I mixed up a list of cars and J-league clubs, you probably wouldn't be able to tell which was which:

Bellmare
Montedio
Sanfrecce
Cresseida
Verdy
Camry
Miata
Vissel
S-Pulse
Consadole
Accord

I think the artificial surface would be retractable since it would be used less. Good post though. I was thinking that the artificial piece would be modular or something.

Reaction Score

Agree on the field issue; but, I think you are confusing the Spurs for the Gunners or another quality club as the only hardware the Spurs are usually playing for at the end of the season is an express paper ticket to the Championship League :cool:

Reaction Score
Property values and days of sunshine in London v Glendale, Arizona: highly unlikely a reasonable cost-benefit argument could be made for multiple natural turf fields, but it's mechanically possible for a retractable fake turf field to be stored underground (under car park?) and rolled in to a stadium and over natural turf field. BIG Sterling investment, but mechanically possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom