SportVU & it's impact | The Boneyard

SportVU & it's impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
May be a game changer for stats & tendencies of players. It's only as good as the person evaluating it & the team executing, but it seems rich with info.

Reaction Score
Very interesting article. Thanks for posting. As the article says, the gulf will deepen between the haves and the have nots.

GemParty

Reaction Score
I found it very interesting, plus we are now creating a state of the art facility. I wonder if we embrace this technology?

Reaction Score
Let the robots tell our stupid coaches what to do because they can't figure it out on their own!

/sarcasm (kinda)

GemParty

Reaction Score
Lefty2one said:
Let the robots tell our stupid coaches what to do because they can't figure it out on their own! /sarcasm (kinda)
Why would the best coaches in the NBA use it? Don't fall behind & be the last team to know about it.

caw

Reaction Score
Do they still use that free throw shooting machine? That seems to have helped some.

GemParty

Reaction Score
caw said:
Do they still use that free throw shooting machine? That seems to have helped some.
Glen Miller was telling me the Noah machine measured trajectory of shots. Players can then adjust shooting form for ideal release points, & arcs on all kinds of shots.

Reaction Score
coach miller must be some sort of shooting coach wizard. Looking at Samuels, Facey, and Brimah; all have good shot form.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
coach miller must be some sort of shooting coach wizard. Looking at Samuels, Facey, and Brimah; all have good shot form.

And Samuel was pretty bad at free throws early in the year; I'm stunned at how good his form is now.

Reaction Score
Why would the best coaches in the NBA use it? Don't fall behind & be the last team to know about it.

I was mostly joking. Obviously the more data and information you have the better but sports, especially basketball and football, will never be "solved by math and data" like some people believe. And the integrity of the data they're gathering is certainly questionable.

Stan Van Gundy had a pretty good take on it...

“I don’t trust most of it,” Van Gundy said, beginning an exquisite rant on the topic. “I read some of the stuff that people write on ESPN.com, you know, I’ll read stats on pick and roll defense and stuff that came off Synergy or somewhere else — I don’t know who the hell is recording that information!”

“I read a thing in the playoffs last year that said that New York isolated like 17 percent of the time,” he continued. “I’m watching their games, they isolate half of the time, at least. So I don’t know who’s recording that. If there’s a pick and roll, and they throw it back to Carmelo and he holds the ball and isolates for eight seconds, that’s a pick and roll play, not an isolation? And a lot of pick and roll stuff … you know, I read a thing today from ESPN the Magazine on Paul George being the best pick and roll defender in the league on the ball handler. Look, a lot of pick and rolls … there’s pick and rolls designed to score, and there’s pick and rolls you run to get into something else. If you’re recording it and you’re treating those two things the same, then you don’t know what you’re doing.”

Reaction Score
I wonder if our practice facility or arenas will be equipped with this? Is Ollie into stats like many of his NBA brethren? http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/2...ta-for-those-who-can-afford-it.html?referrer=

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Kevin-Duffy-UConn-survives-Madness-four-minutes-5336637.php

Win the four minutes, Ollie tells his team.

"He breaks stats down by minutes, every four minutes," UConn junior guard Ryan Boatright said Wednesday. "He breaks it down by possession. He was in the NBA for a lonnnnng time, and that's how they do it, so he's brought that here."

"He breaks down everything, man," Boatright added, with emphasis. "Everything."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01