Sports & Politics: Inseparable? | The Boneyard

Sports & Politics: Inseparable?

Reaction Score
Virtually the 1st Commandment of the BY is thou shall not mix sports and politics. It is a widely accepted rule, apparently predicated on the notion that sports should be unsullied by tawdry politics. Also, there are plenty of sites on which to vent one's political opinions. However, in the real world, sports and politics are drawing ever nearer. A principal argument against the recent NFL protests, for example, is that they are injecting politics into a game meant to divert and entertain.

In this morning's Washington Post sports' pages, Sally Jenkins writes that the NCAA is “robbing athletes of their rights.” She opines that “the bribery and fraud scandal engulfing college athletics could not exist w/out the fundamental corruption of an NCAA that is flush with elicit cash but denies players the basic right to a dollar.” We've heard this before couched in various guises, but the argument persists. Only a few days ago, Muffet McGraw asserted that the corruption in men's basketball has infiltrated women's college sports as well. Will she share the details?

UConn fans do not need to be reminded of the old feud between Geno and Pat in which the latter accused Auriemma of cheating in the recruitment of Maya Moore. The Bristol in TN was the wrong Bristol, according to Pat, as the one in CT is the headquarters of ESPN. Perhaps Ms. Moore would like to work for the sports network one of these days? That schism has never been repaired—even in death.

So, if the BY will not go to Muhammad, it appears that Muhammad will be coming to college sports. I'm not suggesting that we cancel our guiding rule; heaven forfend! Who wants to read about politics on these page? But has it become inescapable to acknowledge that what's going on may not affect our own beloved Huskies? And where will that conversation take place?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My only comment is that criticism of the NCAA is misplaced. The NCAA is a feckless institution that is exactly what college presidents, AD’s, coaches and fans want it to be. It’s not the NCAA that exploits athletes. It’s the schools themselves.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Virtually the 1st Commandment of the BY is thou shall not mix sports and politics. It is a widely accepted rule, apparently predicated on the notion that sports should be unsullied by tawdry politics. Also, there are plenty of sites on which to vent one's political opinions. However, in the real world, sports and politics are drawing ever nearer. A principal argument against the recent NFL protests, for example, is that they are injecting politics into a game meant to divert and entertain.

In this morning's Washington Post sports' pages, Sally Jenkins writes that the NCAA is “robbing athletes of their rights.” She opines that “the bribery and fraud scandal engulfing college athletics could not exist w/out the fundamental corruption of an NCAA that is flush with elicit cash but denies players the basic right to a dollar.” We've heard this before couched in various guises, but the argument persists. Only a few days ago, Muffet McGraw asserted that the corruption in men's basketball has infiltrated women's college sports as well. Will she share the details?

UConn fans do not need to be reminded of the old feud between Geno and Pat in which the latter accused Auriemma of cheating in the recruitment of Maya Moore. The Bristol in TN was the wrong Bristol, according to Pat, as the one in CT is the headquarters of ESPN. Perhaps Ms. Moore would like to work for the sports network one of these days? That schism has never been repaired—even in death.

So, if the BY will not go to Muhammad, it appears that Muhammad will be coming to college sports. I'm not suggesting that we cancel our guiding rule; heaven forfend! Who wants to read about politics on these page? But has it become inescapable to acknowledge that what's going on may not affect our own beloved Huskies? And where will that conversation take place?
Sports as well as every other 'entertainment industry' has always been interlaced with politics so this is nothing new. I believe the prohibition for boneyard discussions of politics is not a denial of the interconnection between the two or a fantasy position that they do not intersect, but rather a recognition that the primary purpose of this forum is to discuss women's basketball and the players and coaches exploits on and of the court - that can lead to plenty of heated debate without needing to delve into politics, religion, or any other hot button issue.

Most of us are very pleased to comply and to have moderators who enforce those strictures.

(and I realize you are not advocating for a change, just commenting on the current environment for college sports as well as pro sports.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure I see the connection between politics (as forbidden by BY rules) and the NCAA. Both professions might have equally low esteem but the former (politicians) are the ones I voted for; well maybe not me, but someone voted for them. I think we have had thread before debating if college athlete should be paid.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom