Sports Media Watch TV Predictions: Possible Impact to UConn’s CBSSN TV Deal? | The Boneyard

Sports Media Watch TV Predictions: Possible Impact to UConn’s CBSSN TV Deal?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

So SMW predicts the Big Ten will sign deals with FOX and CBS. Which means in theory, there could be Big Ten games on CBSSN in the future.

UConn’s existing CBSSN deal runs through 2023. I wonder if we can get one year added because we didn’t play in 2020 during COVID? We have to renegotiate this deal in the next year or so (conversations likely already happening) so I’ll be very curious to see what happens. As noted in the tweet, existing CBSSN deals include CUSA, MAC, Army, Navy (one game per year) and MWC (small package) for football. If Big Ten is added to that, it seems like they’ll have to move off at least a few teams/leagues in order to make room.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

So SMW predicts the Big Ten will sign deals with FOX and CBS. Which means in theory, there could be Big Ten games on CBSSN in the future.

UConn’s existing CBSSN deal runs through 2023. I wonder if we can get one year added because we didn’t play in 2020 during COVID? We have to renegotiate this deal in the next year or so (conversations likely already happening) so I’ll be very curious to see what happens. As noted in the tweet, existing CBSSN deals include CUSA, MAC, Army, Navy (one game per year) and MWC (small package) for football. If Big Ten is added to that, it seems like they’ll have to move off at least a few teams/leagues in order to make room.

Booking good home games is all that matters. For now, we are selling who we play.

Reaction Score
CUSA is a hot mess. If they get BIG, will they want to corner the market on Ohio and mich? I’d like to think our brand will carry over those.

Reaction Score
Read the article. Big 10 signing with CBS should have no impact on CBSSN. Why? FOX is taking more Big 10 content and they have FOX, FS1, and FS2 (although they don't show Big 10 football on FS2 right now). CBS looks to be getting one Saturday afternoon game per week to replace their current SEC game and NBC and Warner Media are also pursuing Big 10 content. BTW, the Big 10 also shows 2 to 4 games on the BTN each week. There is no extra Big 10 content for CBSSN. If anything, it looks like more time slots will become available on broadcast networks if NBC, CBS, and FOX want more content.

The real question in my mind is where does the Big 12 content go and at what price as both ESPN and FOX declined early negotiations with the conference back in May BEFORE Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving for the SEC.

Reaction Score
I think this next set of negotiations will be very interesting. You have the B1G up for renewal and the Big 12 right behind them (2025.) I imagine the loser of the B1G will end up bidding for the Big 12. Will FOX/ESPN pony up as much as they did for the SEC top game to shut out CBS again? If so, does that mean the CBS gets the Big 12? Does the B1G want a three provider relationship? NBC is a real wildcard here as they lost the NHL and they did bid for the AAC two deals ago. Very interesting to see what happens.

Reaction Score
They will dump CUSA for starters. They pay us like 400k for a decent slate of games. They are practically getting us for free.
Yeah even with a full slate of big ten games most 1 or 2 of those will go to cbs proper. they will want a friday game or 2, honestly worst case uconn could just accept 200k a year for it,.

Reaction Score
Read the article. Big 10 signing with CBS should have no impact on CBSSN. Why? FOX is taking more Big 10 content and they have FOX, FS1, and FS2 (although they don't show Big 10 football on FS2 right now). CBS looks to be getting one Saturday afternoon game per week to replace their current SEC game and NBC and Warner Media are also pursuing Big 10 content. BTW, the Big 10 also shows 2 to 4 games on the BTN each week. There is no extra Big 10 content for CBSSN. If anything, it looks like more time slots will become available on broadcast networks if NBC, CBS, and FOX want more content.

The real question in my mind is where does the Big 12 content go and at what price as both ESPN and FOX declined early negotiations with the conference back in May BEFORE Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving for the SEC.

Reaction Score
Big Ten Conference will not be playing on CBSSN.
Plus, the article is not from the Sports Media Watch site.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom