Sports Illustrated AAC Preview | The Boneyard

Sports Illustrated AAC Preview

Reaction Score
AAC preview: Rankings, scout's takes and more

CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: JALEN ADAMS, UCONN
Clearly the AAC’s best NBA prospect, Adams could take another big leap this season sliding into more of an off-ball attacking role. In Hurley, he has an aggressive coach who should encourage his relentless pressure on the rim.

DARK HORSE TEAM TO WIN THE CONFERENCE: UCONN
Hurley’s Rhode Island teams have won big, and there’s a deep, talented and experienced roster already waiting for him in Storrs. UConn hasn’t performed to its rosters capabilities over the last few seasons under Kevin Ollie. Should Hurley be able to flip the script, Adams and Co. could very feasibly claim this conference championship.

PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH
What you need to know about each team in the AAC, plus a brief scouting report from an anonymous opposing coach.

1. CINCINNATI
2. UCF
3. HOUSTON
4. TEMPLE
5. UCONN

After two straight losing seasons, the Huskies relieved head coach Kevin Ollie of his coaching duties in favor of Dan Hurley. Returning all but two players from a year ago, UConn is perhaps the most experienced team in the AAC. If redshirt sophomore Alterique Gilbert can resume point guard responsibilities, senior Jalen Adams will slide back into his more natural scoring role (18.1 ppg in 2017–18), perhaps leading to a player of the year campaign.​
Scout's Take: UConn is so damn talented. They continue to bring in guy after guy that’s just killing it. Adams is such a tough matchup. He kills us every year. He’s just so good, so talented. I don’t know how their offense is going to run now, but under Ollie, he was so good at creating for himself and his teammates out of high ball screens. With [Alterique] Gilbert back this year, with Coach Hurley, that’s a tough, hard-nosed team. They don’t back down from s---. They’re ready to brawl. I’m interested to see if that can be infused into this team. Their guards rebound well, and if he gets their bigs to come to play, that’s going to be really tough.
6. WICHITA STATE
7. MEMPHIS
8. SMU
9. TULSA
10. TULANE
11. EAST CAROLINA
12. SOUTH FLORIDA

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I would bet against us winning the conference, but we can definitely win the conference if we get big time production from Jalen, Alterique and Sid for a full season. The conference is just that wide open.

Reaction Score
The national media perception of UConn is already changing. This stuff from Sports Illustrated is awesome.

On a side note I think this shows that Jalen Adams is in the conversation to be an All American this year with his selection as Conference Player of the Year.

Reaction Score
The national media perception of UConn is already changing. This stuff from Sports Illustrated is awesome.

On a side note I think this shows that Jalen Adams is in the conversation to be an All American this year with his selection as Conference Player of the Year.
Has the American had an all-american?

Reaction Score

I'd say in the past few months, I feel like the media's general treatment of the program has been really, really, really good, actually. And it might take some getting used to for some UConn fans.

Calhoun can be a curmudgeon personality at times, and I think that combined with us being real, genuine upstarts on our rise - I think there's a lot of old guard that just never took to him/us and is a big part of the reason why the media wasn't a supporter. I think in their minds - you've got this kinda stodgy guy recruiting up a storm to go to a school an hour outside Hartford that's known for farming. It was kind of beyond them. Even when it was good coverage, there always seemed to be a begruging acceptance of our success at best. Most of the time, it felt like they couldn't wait to hit us with a shovel. And I think Calhoun was fine with that, the fans liked being the outraged outsider, etc. and it just settled into that.

The Hurley family is kind of a royal family in HS/College basketball - there's a lot of street cred there. I feel like the whole perception around our program has changed- the ironic part being we've never been this rock bottom before.

But I feel like on the whole, Hurley is one of 'their guys' and I think that only helps coverage and perception heading forward. I'm fine not having a perpetual chip on my shoulder about the media.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd say in the past few months, I feel like the media's general treatment of the program has been really, really, really good, actually. And it might take some getting used to for some UConn fans.

Calhoun can be a curmudgeon personality at times, and I think that combined with us being real, genuine upstarts on our rise - I think there's a lot of old guard that just never took to him/us and is a big part of the reason why the media wasn't a supporter. I think in their minds - you've got this kinda stodgy guy recruiting up a storm to go to a school an hour outside Hartford that's known for farming. It was kind of beyond them. Even when it was good coverage, there always seemed to be a begruging acceptance of our success at best. Most of the time, it felt like they couldn't wait to hit us with a shovel. And I think Calhoun was fine with that, the fans liked being the outraged outsider, etc. and it just settled into that.

The Hurley family is kind of a royal family in HS/College basketball - there's a lot of street cred there. I feel like the whole perception around our program has changed- the ironic part being we've never been this rock bottom before.

But I feel like on the whole, Hurley is one of 'their guys' and I think that only helps coverage and perception heading forward. I'm fine not having a perpetual chip on my shoulder about the media.
Mmm agree witht the larger point, but I can think of 4 reasons other than the Hurley family why we are considered a top program.

Hurley is a good coach but his shameless and incessant touting of our history and tradition, of how he was awed when he came into Werth etc, has been very good handling of the media, intended or not.

Reaction Score

I think that’s definitely a big part of it; I also think there’s a new generation of CBB journalist who only knew UConn as a power program and look back on 90’s/00’s basketball with fondness. UConn was obviously a big part of that era.

Reaction Score
I think that’s definitely a big part of it; I also think there’s a new generation of CBB journalist who only knew UConn as a power program and look back on 90’s/00’s basketball with fondness. UConn was obviously a big part of that era.

Oh for sure - we're a part of the new-old guard.

Maybe I should have been more specific, but I meant a lot of the older guard college hoops personalities... it just seems like a radically different script. Other than ESPN, a lot of the 'oh the national media hates us stuff' - I'm not sure that's going to be a script we can objectively read from right now. If anything, everything has been unusually positive - if not more than it's ever been, tbh. The media's been a help, actually - which makes me feel dirty to say.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
AAC preview: Rankings, scout's takes and more

CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: JALEN ADAMS, UCONN
Clearly the AAC’s best NBA prospect, Adams could take another big leap this season sliding into more of an off-ball attacking role. In Hurley, he has an aggressive coach who should encourage his relentless pressure on the rim.

DARK HORSE TEAM TO WIN THE CONFERENCE: UCONN
Hurley’s Rhode Island teams have won big, and there’s a deep, talented and experienced roster already waiting for him in Storrs. UConn hasn’t performed to its rosters capabilities over the last few seasons under Kevin Ollie. Should Hurley be able to flip the script, Adams and Co. could very feasibly claim this conference championship.

PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH
What you need to know about each team in the AAC, plus a brief scouting report from an anonymous opposing coach.

1. CINCINNATI
2. UCF
3. HOUSTON
4. TEMPLE
5. UCONN

After two straight losing seasons, the Huskies relieved head coach Kevin Ollie of his coaching duties in favor of Dan Hurley. Returning all but two players from a year ago, UConn is perhaps the most experienced team in the AAC. If redshirt sophomore Alterique Gilbert can resume point guard responsibilities, senior Jalen Adams will slide back into his more natural scoring role (18.1 ppg in 2017–18), perhaps leading to a player of the year campaign.​
Scout's Take: UConn is so damn talented. They continue to bring in guy after guy that’s just killing it. Adams is such a tough matchup. He kills us every year. He’s just so good, so talented. I don’t know how their offense is going to run now, but under Ollie, he was so good at creating for himself and his teammates out of high ball screens. With [Alterique] Gilbert back this year, with Coach Hurley, that’s a tough, hard-nosed team. They don’t back down from s---. They’re ready to brawl. I’m interested to see if that can be infused into this team. Their guards rebound well, and if he gets their bigs to come to play, that’s going to be really tough.
6. WICHITA STATE
7. MEMPHIS
8. SMU
9. TULSA
10. TULANE
11. EAST CAROLINA
12. SOUTH FLORIDA

This overall is a pretty good take imo.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Let's be real, the media eats it up when you accessible and kiss their butt. JC often shat all over the media, some guys in particular. It hurt us big time in how we perceived, because those thin skinned bastards took it out on both him and the program in print.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hurley is a good coach but his shameless and incessant touting of our history and tradition, of how he was awed when he came into Werth etc, has been very good handling of the media, intended or not.

Hurley knows exactly what he's doing. Perception is a huge part of recruiting, especially when stuck in this conference.

Reaction Score
Oh for sure - we're a part of the new-old guard.

Maybe I should have been more specific, but I meant a lot of the older guard college hoops personalities... it just seems like a radically different script. Other than ESPN, a lot of the 'oh the national media hates us stuff' - I'm not sure that's going to be a script we can objectively read from right now. If anything, everything has been unusually positive - if not more than it's ever been, tbh. The media's been a help, actually - which makes me feel dirty to say.

Yup! Like @CL82 said, Hurley is one of “their guys”

The son of a legendary high school BB coach from North Jersey is the sports press equivalent to being the son of a legandary FB coach from Macon or someplace.

We have a northern Good Ol’ Boy.

Reaction Score
I'm going to temper my expectations for the season. It's just nice not having to deal with the ups and downs of the past few seasons, waiting for things to work out.

Anything that took place after the 2014 season was just a bad dream.

I'm finally woke.

Reaction Score
Mmm agree witht the larger point, but I can think of 4 reasons other than the Hurley family why we are considered a top program.

You make it sound like he's putting on a show for the media. I think he's sincere about it, not acting. I really like this guy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You make it sound like he's putting on a show for the media. I think he's sincere about it, not acting. I really like this guy.
Hmmn not a show, but I think he is very aware of the impact of what he says, like all good coaches should be.

I like him to, so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom