You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OOOMMMGGGG!

68-34 USA over Nigeria...........halfway through 2nd period. :eek:

49 points in 1st period

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Good. Guys are coming out and annihilating bad teams. After the Tunisia game (and Britain and some of exhibitions), that was much needed. You don't want to keep Argentina, brazil, or Spain in it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
103-56 3:25 left ........in the 3rd.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
119-62 after 3 periods. Record is 138. They might get it. Dream Team scored 127 twice. They will get that one.

Reaction Score
Record broken. 145-68 now.

I didn't follow their previous games: was the US team as obsessed with 3-pointers? Anthony alone was 10-12!

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
This is with Nigeria having two NBA players on its roster.

Still, Nigeria is a weak team. And the announcers saying that Coach K would pull the reigns in and not embarrass Nigeria by beating them by 80+. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Nigeria didn't help themselves by launching quick shots and then by playing a zone defense. They let Team USA shoot wide open 3 point shots. It wasn't as if Team USA was consistently launching quick three point shots. They did take time off the shot clock, but Nigeria played poor defense.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Still, Nigeria is a weak team. And the announcers saying that Coach K would pull the reigns in and not embarrass Nigeria by beating them by 80+. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

I hope Coach K continues this strategy this college season....... it would be lovely to beat down on opponents by 70+ points.... just to send a message...:D

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
They're not great by any means, but they're a lot better than most of the teams the Dream Team steamrolled in 1992. Some NBA experience, lots of college ball experience, etc.

MBB, WBB...that was just a great display of BB. Just amazing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They're not great by any means, but they're a lot better than most of the teams the Dream Team steamrolled in 1992. Some NBA experience, lots of college ball experience, etc.

MBB, WBB...that was just a great display of BB. Just amazing.

According to the announcers, they had 3 players from Nigeria. The other 9 are Americans that have been naturalized or had duel citizenships. Bunch of them played college ball in the states.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Great display of bb? Yes. Bit too much stream rolling? Yes. I don't care how well your playing, you don't embarrass a far less talented team, who's playing in their first Olympics by stomping them into the ground by 83 points. Team USA should have more respect & sportsmanship then that. Especially, when the game was already over in the first quarter.

That's what I have always liked about Geno, even when UConn won by 20+.... He always called off the dogs in the end. He's classy.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Great display of bb? Yes. Bit too much stream rolling? Yes. I don't care how well your playing, you don't embarrass a far less talented team, who's playing in their first Olympics by stomping them into the ground by 83 points. Team USA should have more respect & sportsmanship then that.

That's what I have always liked about Geno, even when UConn won by 20+.... He always called off the dogs in the end. He's classy.
Geno has typically had a thin bench. As great as that 2010 team was, he could field five kids who weren't going to do much. Coach K had Kevin Love, Andre Iguadala, Chris Paul, Anthony Davis, and James Harden out there. There's not much else he could do other than have his players stop shooting at all...which no one wanted to see.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
There's not much else he could do other than have his players stop shooting at all...which no one wanted to see.
That's right. That's more embarrassing than getting pounded into the ground.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Carmelo with 37 pts on 10-12 from 3......in 14 minutes!!!!!!

:-O

Reaction Score
Great display of bb? Yes. Bit too much stream rolling? Yes. I don't care how well your playing, you don't embarrass a far less talented team, who's playing in their first Olympics by stomping them into the ground by 83 points. Team USA should have more respect & sportsmanship then that. Especially, when the game was already over in the first quarter.

Give me a break. Carmelo Anthony is not even a starter. Kobe Bryant played the first quarter and little else, no player played more than 23 minutes, Team USA shot a phenomenal 63% from 3. The dogs were called off, but the puppies kept scoring.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Give me a break. Carmelo Anthony is not even a starter. Kobe Bryant played the first quarter and little else, no player played more than 23 minutes, Team USA shot a phenomenal 63% from 3. The dogs were called off, but the puppies kept scoring.

I didn't watch the game other then the first quarter. So I'm just basing my statement on the score, and from that I can tell that the dogs were not called off, and I certainly wouldn't call Carmelo a puppy. :p

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
And let's see if they can play this well against the likes of Spain for Gold. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game other then the first quarter.
So then you really have no clue what happened or how they played.

and from that I can tell that the dogs were not called off,
And you would be wrong. 4th quarter they walked the ball up the court tried to run as much time off the clock as possible. It could have been much worse.

I and I certainly wouldn't call Carmelo a puppy. :p
Good point. :cool:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

The bench players were in. Nigeria played zone, which dared the US to shoot threes (since the team's weakness in is in the interior, with Howard, Bosh, etc. out). The US used the shot clock.

What else could be done? What dogs could be called off? Six of the seven non-starters are still NBA All Stars. As an aside, Nigeria has two current NBA players.

Funny...people were criticizing Team USA because the team did not beat the point spread against Tunisia (and the lead was only 13 points at the half). Now the criticism is that the team ran up the score?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom