OT - Spirit Airlines? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Spirit Airlines?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of the kids who took an unofficial said it was kind of like Disney World..now my kid wants to take a look although they have shown limited interest in her
My son looked at High Point and we visited there. It's a beautiful campus - a big deal was made of the fountains that were designed by the same guy that designed the fountains at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. They also spent more time describing the menu of the on-campus steak house than the academics. My son was totally turned off by the guides' talk of endless parties. My impression was that High Point was the school where rich parents sent their kids that couldnt' get into North Carolina or Duke.

Reaction Score
My son looked at High Point and we visited there. It's a beautiful campus - a big deal was made of the fountains that were designed by the same guy that designed the fountains at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. They also spent more time describing the menu of the on-campus steak house than the academics. My son was totally turned off by the guides' talk of endless parties. My impression was that High Point was the school where rich parents sent their kids that couldnt' get into North Carolina or Duke.

I've heard that same description from others.........................well, we fit half of that description................................the can't get into Carolina or Duke part..............:rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The fees arent that bad as long as you make your purchases while your purchasing your ticket. Prices are lower at that time , if you wait til afterwards you will be paying and arm and leg at the airport for luggage ect. I always pay for my bags during my ticket purchase , you get put into a different line to where your carry on or luggage is no longer checked because they see you have paid already. Zone 1 i believe those are exempt from luggage check
the flight was a huge success... no better or worse than SouthWest, I'll use them again as needed! Everyone, thanks for you comments and suggestions!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
the flight was a huge success... no better or worse than SouthWest, I'll use them again as needed! Everyone, thanks for you comments and suggestions!
When you get used to Spirit, it’s not that bad. It does seem to have the best flight times

Reaction Score
You must be aware of ALL charges. Nothing is without a fee, including a carry on, other than a "normal" size purse. If you have no luggage and can just board without extra charges, they are fine.
One other point. There are smaller, even less expensive airlines, but with ALL the "low cost carriers," suggest you look at how many flights per day go to your destination. Have spoken to numerous friends who got delayed or had flights cancelled (i.e. snow, maintenance, etc.) to find they were stranded with no alternative flights available. One way to keep costs down is less airplanes so any change in service is often at the plight of the passenger.

Reaction Score
Jim's point is important t. For example, Frontier does not fly from all cities to all cities every day, so a cancelled flight can mean a wait of 2 or 3 days.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Hey if you want it back, I think I found some of it.
hahahaha no thanks... I like that a can jog a little at 50yrs old after not being able to for the last 15 smh

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
How are the seats though?
they were good enough for a 3hr flight, no worse than Southwest from what I remember #notplushofcourse

I wish I would have taken them to and from... but I needed just a sample. No peanuts or crackers tho, along with no wi-fi but I have music on my phone anyways

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy that you had a decent and successful experience. Nothing worse than the negative unexpected.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How are the seats though?
They are somewhat thin, so if a toddler is sitting behind you you'll feel every little kick. Also, the seats don't recline at all. The trays that you lower from the seat in front of you is really tiny but my husband was able to put his laptop on it OK.

You do get charged for a bottle of water. That was the one thing that really surprised me. If you travel on Spirit, take an empty bottle from home and fill it up in the airport before flying out. But, yeah, I agree with DC - a short flight is OK on Spirit but I would not use them for longer flights.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
are they any good, worth the cheap prices? Hartford to Tampa is that too long to be on their planes?

Do you have a pilots license? There’s a good chance you’re going to have to either fly the plane or parachute from it.

Reaction Score
Hartford to Tampa? Absolutely no problem. We have flown Orlando to Minneapolis and Orlando to New Orleans without a problem and more recently, Orlando to Syracuse on Frontier. Both flights were fine.

Reaction Score
I just got back from a trip to visit EricSanDiego in LA, and I flew Spirit. Let me tell you, the flight was fine. I paid an extra $10 bucks for an emergency row seat which gave me 3 more feet of leg room. It was great. Round trip from Newark to LA was less than $300 and I booked a rental car for 8 days which brought the total cost to under $500. You can't beat it. The seats are narrower than other airlines, a meager 24 inches, but I'm 6'2" and I was fine. It has a very Southwest vibe to it, but the snacks/drinks are cheap and appealing. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I just got back from a trip to visit EricSanDiego in LA, and I flew Spirit. Let me tell you, the flight was fine. I paid an extra $10 bucks for an emergency row seat which gave me 3 more feet of leg room. It was great. Round trip from Newark to LA was less than $300 and I booked a rental car for 8 days which brought the total cost to under $500. You can't beat it. The seats are narrower than other airlines, a meager 24 inches, but I'm 6'2" and I was fine. It has a very Southwest vibe to it, but the snacks/drinks are cheap and appealing. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
that's how I feel... I wish I would've taken Spirit "round trip" but was a lil scared so I'll just go down using them. I only had carry-on so Im not sure about the luggage cost etc.

Reaction Score
We used Spirit a few times years ago between Atlantic City to Tampa. It was little extra hassle, but it was adequate service, easy in/out of airport and very inexpensive. Our situation has changed so AC is no longer convenient...but at the time it was a bargain. Things may have changed...possibly even for the better. We would consider using Spirit again.

As an aside we had a few years where we used Allegiant Airines to FL occasionally.

"Major" carriers from "major" airports or even from smaller airports are not all that great these days. Double hops and related issues are common. Specific route and access to airports from/to your departure and destination influence choices. Smaller city airports and airlines often work well.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
that's how I feel... I wish I would've taken Spirit "round trip" but was a lil scared so I'll just go down using them. I only had carry-on so Im not sure about the luggage cost etc.
"Go down using them" is some kind of weird Freudian slip sort of thing! When one speaks of planes, going 'down" is not appealing. :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom