Speed of Play | The Boneyard

Speed of Play

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A week or more okay someone here who knows what they are talking about and I got into a polite disagreement about US and European women's ball and the speed of play. We're talking U19 on down. I say the Europeans play faster ball. He said nay nay.

I don't have an answer, however, I refound an illustration of European play - admittedly a hilite reel from the Croatian U19 Championships.

Those kids release and head up court fast. Guess why? Well, it's good basketball, but they also play with a 24 second shot clock. Got 11 less seconds to get things done. I found a really good article about the differences and arguments pro and con adoption of the 24 second clock.

The shot clock, international rules, and decision making | Brian McCormick Basketball

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
US and European women's ball and the speed of play
For your review. Perhaps these rules differences may have an affect on speed of play. For more rules differences see Rule Differences
1560098531610.png

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
For your review. Perhaps these rules differences may have an affect on speed of play. For more rules differences see Rule Differences
View attachment 43775 View attachment 43775
The free throw rule is currently the same as the FIBA rules, two free throws after the 4th foul per each quarter. This has been since the Women Basketball Rules went to quarters during the 2015-16 season. I believe that the NCAA should adopt the FIBA rules on the 3 pt line and the time clock to also include that the reset goes to 14 seconds vs the 30 seconds it currently goes to. This way the US is the same as the rest of the International game and that when the US players go to FIBA events they don't have to adopt to these rules with only a few weeks of practice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The free throw rule is currently the same as the FIBA rules, two free throws after the 4th foul per each quarter. This has been since the Women Basketball Rules went to quarters during the 2015-16 season. I believe that the NCAA should adopt the FIBA rules on the 3 pt line and the time clock to also include that the reset goes to 14 seconds vs the 30 seconds it currently goes to. This way the US is the same as the rest of the International game and that when the US players go to FIBA events they don't have to adopt to these rules with only a few weeks of practice.
How many of the USA players get to play international ball? Too few to not keep the USA rules within country. The USA in both mens and Women's games prior to changing the rules worked well, The USA didn't lose many because of RULES unfamiliarity ! The game BEGAN HERE.

Reaction Score
A week or more okay someone here who knows what they are talking about and I got into a polite disagreement about US and European women's ball and the speed of play. We're talking U19 on down. I say the Europeans play faster ball. He said nay nay.

I don't have an answer, however, I refound an illustration of European play - admittedly a hilite reel from the Croatian U19 Championships.

Those kids release and head up court fast. Guess why? Well, it's good basketball, but they also play with a 24 second shot clock. Got 11 less seconds to get things done. I found a really good article about the differences and arguments pro and con adoption of the 24 second clock.;s

The shot clock, international rules, and decision making | Brian McCormick Basketball

There may be 1000 different reasons to "speed up the game". There is one of course for not doing so, strategist/coaching with totally less talented teams have an opportunity then to win. Every team does not have the opportunity to buy/recruit top talent shouldn't they play on a more leveled field?? If run N gun is your cup of tea--watch the Pros or the Men's game---I stopped watching that brute force run and gun a long time ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom