Speed and the return game | The Boneyard

Speed and the return game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was thinking of the success we've had over the years with the return game. It featured some very good (if not highly recruited) athletes and I think it points to recruiting deficiencies in some areas. These kids were all burners and highly successful returning kicks and punts:

Brunch, Butler, Taylor, Williams, Todman, Frey, Lang, Howard, probably missing some

A lot of those kids were recruited before we were even fully in the Big East. We have nothing like this now in the return game. Newsome does a nice job from scrimmage, but he does not have top end speed for the return game and, frankly, given the touches he needs to get from scrimmage might be best not returning kicks.

Very frustrating.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between what those guys (you mentioned) were able to do and what we see from the current roster in the return game....BUT, in my opinion, it has very little to do with speed. Don't get me wrong, speed is a great luxury to have and I certainly agree those guys you mention had it. However, the return game comes down to preparation, scheme, and effort. Kick returns for TDs are a rare occurrence. They happen because you study film, identify a weakness, scheme, account for the opponents best cover guys, and believe your kick returner can make a guy or two miss and outrun the kicker. Honestly, I'd just like to see some interest from the staff to game plan in the return game (punts and kickoffs). It's 1/3 of the game and they continue to just give the opponent a win in that aspect. Kickoff returns are not about getting touchdowns, it's about gaining an advantage in field position. Top-end speed is a luxury in the return game, not a necessity.....IF you have coaches and players who take pride in it. The staff certainly doesn't.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between what those guys (you mentioned) were able to do and what we see from the current roster in the return game....BUT, in my opinion, it has very little to do with speed. Don't get me wrong, speed is a great luxury to have and I certainly agree those guys you mention had it. However, the return game comes down to preparation, scheme, and effort. Kick returns for TDs are a rare occurrence. They happen because you study film, identify a weakness, scheme, account for the opponents best cover guys, and believe your kick returner can make a guy or two miss and outrun the kicker. Honestly, I'd just like to see some interest from the staff to game plan in the return game (punts and kickoffs). It's 1/3 of the game and they continue to just give the opponent a win in that aspect. Kickoff returns are not about getting touchdowns, it's about gaining an advantage in field position. Top-end speed is a luxury in the return game, not a necessity.....IF you have coaches and players who take pride in it. The staff certainly doesn't.
Could not agree more. I just was leafing through my college play book (never looked at it back in my day) and I read this about the kicking game: "returns have exceptional scoring potential and establish field position. Kicking is one area of football where it is always possible to out-perform opponents by out-working them and out-perfecting them. " and "aggressiveness and determination can win you a spot in our kicking game". Coaches should set expectations high. It's up to the players to step up. There was no "let's not try because you are not very good" in the play book.

Reaction Score
Was thinking of the success we've had over the years with the return game. It featured some very good (if not highly recruited) athletes and I think it points to recruiting deficiencies in some areas. These kids were all burners and highly successful returning kicks and punts:

Brunch, Butler, Taylor, Williams, Todman, Frey, Lang, Howard, probably missing some

A lot of those kids were recruited before we were even fully in the Big East. We have nothing like this now in the return game. Newsome does a nice job from scrimmage, but he does not have top end speed for the return game and, frankly, given the touches he needs to get from scrimmage might be best not returning kicks.
Very frustrating.

Frey and Williams worth the price of admission back there! ;) It's simply sad that HCBD has actually been able to deflate such a thrilling portion of the game. Even more sad that his ridiculous style has and will be doing the same with attendance to our games.
The only thing he is coordinating is the digging of his professional grave as a head coach and that of our football program at the same time... Head bang

Reaction Score
Hard to argue with any of the points made, here. The KR game has shown a flash or 2 with Arkeel. The PR, or lack thereof, is near criminal. I've never seen a team not even try and return punts.

I'll be very interested to see skanes in 17 and beyond handling returns. I do believe we have some speed - and let's be honest Nick was not the fastest guy. But he could find a seam and hit it. What concerns me more, is that the guys up front are not creating the seams needed. Maybe this is a sign of the lack of talent on the roster. It's either talent or coaching - and I hate this staff for making me question the skill level of teenagers,

Reaction Score

Very frustrating.

All the guys you named were recruited to play in the Big East. Our first year at the Rent, before recruiting LIttle LT out of Florida, we had a walk on punt returner who fair caught everything (although he was much better at it than Lemelle ever was) and nothing to note on kickoff returns.

Reaction Score
All the guys you named were recruited to play in the Big East. Our first year at the Rent, before recruiting LIttle LT out of Florida, we had a walk on punt returner who fair caught everything (although he was much better at it than Lemelle ever was) and nothing to note on kickoff returns.

Yes, they were all recruited to play in the Big East, but only two of them, Todman and Lang, had BCS offers. Branch, Butler, and Taylor only had UConn offers. Williams had offers from UConn, Army, and Towson. Frey had offers from UConn and Akron. Howard had offers from UConn and Western Michigan.

In other words, UConn should still be able to recruit speed players like these even in the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom