Speaking Of The Other Point Guard | The Boneyard

Speaking Of The Other Point Guard

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's a shame that Mo wasn't in better shape when she played at UConn, because she slowed us down so much. :D

Fastest player I've ever seen.
Yeah. What a plodder. This as opposed to too many who enter the pro ranks and suddenly become charter members of their local equivalent of The Cheesecake Factory.

Reaction Score
If Mo says that she is in the best shape on her life now - why not then at UConn? Incidentally, KML was noted for carrying a few extra lbs. - a problem that limited her defense in Seattle also. Now, I thought Geno's physical demands on his players were the highest? Or are they the highest only in mental terms?

Reaction Score
Sigh...almost wished I hadn't watched that highlight tape. Something about following a kid through and then out of college. Very different from the attachment to (say) a pro athlete who then moves on to another team. These kids are almost like your own children, and then they're out of your life. I felt so sad (but happy for her) when Natalie transferred last month. I didn't even have a chance to say goodbye or give her a graduation gift. :) Seriously, we do get so attached, root so hard, want the very best for these kids....

Reaction Score
If Mo says that she is in the best shape on her life now - why not then at UConn? Incidentally, KML was noted for carrying a few extra lbs. - a problem that limited her defense in Seattle also. Now, I thought Geno's physical demands on his players were the highest? Or are they the highest only in mental terms?
You can add D and Stef to that list of those who slimmed down/got fit in the pros. Of course, the few extra pounds didn't seem to hurt them at UConn, did it?

It's really not unusual. Not all bodies mature at the same time, and, women, after all, are working against nature which is preparing them for pregnancy. Also, in college, they are still kids, away from home for the first time, hitting the pasta bar maybe a bit too enthusiastically with all their other friends. But when they're pros, that's all they are and compete directly against each other. Their livelihood depends upon their fitness. Even at UConn, coaches have to strike a balance: making sure the kids are in playing shape, but not so crazy committed that they snap.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sigh...almost wished I hadn't watched that highlight tape. Something about following a kid through and then out of college. Very different from the attachment to (say) a pro athlete who then moves on to another team. These kids are almost like your own children, and then they're out of your life. I felt so sad (but happy for her) when Natalie transferred last month. I didn't even have a chance to say goodbye or give her a graduation gift. :) Seriously, we do get so attached, root so hard, want the very best for these kids....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You can add D and Stef to that list of those who slimmed down/got fit in the pros. Of course, the few extra pounds didn't seem to hurt them at UConn, did it?

It's really not unusual. Not all bodies mature at the same time, and, women, after all, are working against nature which is preparing them for pregnancy. Also, in college, they are still kids, away from home for the first time, hitting the pasta bar maybe a bit too enthusiastically with all their other friends. But when they're pros, that's all they are and compete directly against each other. Their livelihood depends upon their fitness. Even at UConn, coaches have to strike a balance: making sure the kids are in playing shape, but not so crazy committed that they snap.
Also as players mature they learn more about their bodies: How much they can push, what is more/less difficult, how much sleep they need/when they need to go to bed etc. This along with how/what/when to eat, what is good nutrition, and how their bodies/muscles react to different foods and exercises. Some players don't get it until they're 30. Some earlier. All are different.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I love watching Mo play, and I look foward to watching her play this season.
I am so happy for her, because she was able to return to Tx where she is from (state).

Reaction Score
I so enjoy watching Moriah!
I had wondered as she started her pro career how she would do without the great players around her that she had at UConn. It seems PGs especially need other players to work off of. I was amazed at how well she did in her first year in SA.
Now coming off a very successful stint in Turkey, I look forward to seeing her play again. She is a big reason why I got my WNBA League Pass!

Reaction Score
I so enjoy watching Moriah!
I had wondered as she started her pro career how she would do without the great players around her that she had at UConn. It seems PGs especially need other players to work off of. I was amazed at how well she did in her first year in SA.
Now coming off a very successful stint in Turkey, I look forward to seeing her play again. She is a big reason why I got my WNBA League Pass!
For me, Moriah is the most fun player to watch in all of basketball. A one woman highlight reel. Speaking of which, thanks to Daddy Choc and VAMike for the videos.
I had no doubt that Moriah would continue to be great as a pro. Should be interesting with Kelsey Plum and a healthy Kayla McBride. Hopefully, one or two of the bigs will work out. Anyone who plays as hard and as well as Moriah deserves to win.

Reaction Score
They're out of your life only if you let them go, and with WNBA League Pass, you don't have to. You can see UConn girls in most games. Besides, what else are you going to do in UConn's off season, watch baseball or golf?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This highlite vid from her Euro stint is pretty nifty too:

Check out the left handed baby hook as she crosses the lane at 2 minutes. Some of her stuff is pretty insane and some of her drives to the basket I could make against the D(not) she had to deal with!

Reaction Score
Ack! Mo is not playing in the Saturday game due to "right knee soreness" :(
I guess this is why she did not play in the last overseas game. Here's hoping it is not serious!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the information. Obviously I can't give you a Like, but at least we no longer kill the messenger. Plum is out also, with a sprained ankle, and I believe McBride is still in Turkey. Going to be a long afternoon for Sydney Colson.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just watched a highlight video of Megan Walker. Even though she has not played a minute of WCBB yet, how many of you think she will mature over her 4 years at UConn, into a high first round draft choice in the WNBA??

Also just watched a highlight video of MoJeff. It sure didn't take her long to adjust to the W. She's more aggressive and potent now than at UConn, and will continue to get better. She will also continue to command more $$$ overseas.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This highlite vid from her Euro stint is pretty nifty too:

Check out the left handed baby hook as she crosses the lane at 2 minutes. Some of her stuff is pretty insane and some of her drives to the basket I could make against the D(not) she had to deal with!

.....and they pay her BIG $$$ for doing what comes so easy to her. She's blessed in more ways than one. Good for Mo!!! Baring injury, Mo should be able to play profession basketball for at least 10-12 years, then go into coaching or broadcasting after that. Her future is so bright, it's blinding.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not going to lie, it took me a min to warn up to her wearing #32.
One thing to keep in mind is that more International experience was crucial for Moriah Jefferson's chances for 2018 World Championships which is now less than ~ 16 months away.
Hoping the 2018 USA World Championship Team has these two in the backcourt.
Mo and DT.gif

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just watched a highlight video of Megan Walker. Even though she has not played a minute of WCBB yet, how many of you think she will mature over her 4 years at UConn, into a high first round draft choice in the WNBA??

Also just watched a highlight video of MoJeff. It sure didn't take her long to adjust to the W. She's more aggressive and potent now than at UConn, and will continue to get better. She will also continue to command more $$$ overseas.
She was more aggressive in the W last year because she was by far the best offensive weapon once McBride went down for SA. Hopefully this coming year she will not need to score 20 for SA to have a chance to win.

Reaction Score
And Moriah (and Plum) are out again for SA. 5/19. Hope that knee is something that resolves on its own!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Ack! Mo is not playing in the Saturday game due to "right knee soreness" :(
I guess this is why she did not play in the last overseas game. Here's hoping it is not serious!

The Stars need to let Mo heal COMPLETELY!! Do not rush her, or allow her to play until she is 100%. They are going to need her the duration of the season whenever she comes back. Plus, she needs a little break from her overseas play. The Stars can afford to sit her for 3-4 games. However, it looks like the Stars picked up where they left off last season............................losing. :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom