Speaking of Kentucky.... | The Boneyard

Speaking of Kentucky....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
On one of the threads, in talking about the SEC (which, I think we all universally agree is way down this year in quality teams), it was mentioned that after MSU (absolutely a strong team) and Kentucky (???) that Tennessee is probably in the top 4.

Well, Kentucky has had a resurgence at 8-0 and is led by a freshman, Rhyne Howard 6'2" and #32 HG. They play on Sunday at Louisville. Much like last nights MSU/Marquette game, we will get to see the mettle of both of these schools and if either one is legitimate in their rankings.

Kentucky has played 3 P5 teams (Virginia/UCLA/NCheat) and our own USF Bulls. This is not a bad schedule when compared to many of the "better programs" like Tennessee, who up to this point has played a pitiful schedule.

To me, Kentucky is still emerging and while their 8-0 start is very good and the SEC is weak, I still am not sure they crack the top 4. I still like SC, though Dawn needs to do some serious coaching to get this team play "TEAM" basketball. I also like Missouri (though I do think Sophie Cunningham is a bit too chippie) and Georgia has good coach albeit underperforming so far. And then the aforementioned Tenn, which has lots of talent and poor discipline. I wonder if they come in the top 4 this year in a weak group, would Fulmer add to that contract extension he gave her and add 5 more years??? :cool:

A strong showing by Kentucky against Louisville would clarify my mind they are legitimate be in the top 2/3/4 of the SEC.
Thoughts?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
On one of the threads, in talking about the SEC (which, I think we all universally agree is way down this year in quality teams), it was mentioned that after MSU (absolutely a strong team) and Kentucky (???) that Tennessee is probably in the top 4.

Well, Kentucky has had a resurgence at 8-0 and is led by a freshman, Rhyne Howard 6'2" and #32 HG. They play on Sunday at Louisville. Much like last nights MSU/Marquette game, we will get to see the mettle of both of these schools and if either one is legitimate in their rankings.

Kentucky has played 3 P5 teams (Virginia/UCLA/NCheat) and our own USF Bulls. This is not a bad schedule when compared to many of the "better programs" like Tennessee, who up to this point has played a pitiful schedule.

To me, Kentucky is still emerging and while their 8-0 start is very good and the SEC is weak, I still am not sure they crack the top 4. I still like SC, though Dawn needs to do some serious coaching to get this team play "TEAM" basketball. I also like Missouri (though I do think Sophie Cunningham is a bit too chippie) and Georgia has good coach albeit underperforming so far. And then the aforementioned Tenn, which has lots of talent and poor discipline. I wonder if they come in the top 4 this year in a weak group, would Fulmer add to that contract extension he gave her and add 5 more years??? :cool:

A strong showing by Kentucky against Louisville would clarify my mind they are legitimate be in the top 2/3/4 of the SEC.
Thoughts?
Rhyne Howard is legit. Love watching her play because she plays both ends of the floor. Her former AAU teammate Liz Balogun also doing well at Georgia Tech.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Agree completely with your comments. Not sure if KY is really good or if they're basically holding their own while the rest of the SEC moonwalks backwards, I too am anxious to see how they fair vs their in state rivals.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?

don't forget about the resurgence of Maci Morris..........she's back to scoring in bunches

Reaction Score
I think a team who could benefit from a down sec this year is Auburn. This is their best Offense since coach Flo has been at Auburn I’d say. They have some pretty good players I’d say Unique Thompson is one of the more underrated players in the country. I do think Kentucky is a pretty good team.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Thoughts?
I see you feel Sophie is "too chippie". She is competitive for sure, and at times overzealous. I would love to see Ogunbowale hip check her just once. I would pay to see that! Sophie would sing her this Stones song!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kentucky is a little thin on depth but having Howard has been huge for them this year. Another legit threat with Morris and Murray to score.

Kentucky definitely is improved. Given how the rest of the SEC is right now, would not be surprised to finish near the top

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think a team who could benefit from a down sec this year is Auburn. This is their best Offense since coach Flo has been at Auburn I’d say. They have some pretty good players I’d say Unique Thompson is one of the more underrated players in the country. I do think Kentucky is a pretty good team.

How is Primm working out for yall ?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Kentucky is clearly improved over last year, but just how good they are is still a big question in my mind. All of the quasi-big-name teams they've played so far are significantly flawed.

At the Paradise Jam, they dominated a South Florida team, sans Laksa, that simply couldn't handle the full-court pressure. Laksa is no point guard, but she could have certainly helped in bringing the ball up the floor, and teams that can break a full court press can often find open 3's on the back end of a spread-out floor. USF doesn't really have any 3-point shooters without Laksa.

In the next game against a way-down UCLA, Kentucky needed a buzzer-beater by Howard just to tie the game in regulation and ended up winning by 1 in OT. And in the 3rd game against North Carolina, they trailed by 9 at the half before storming back to win by 10.

Kentucky's game at Louisville tomorrow will be much more revealing than any of their results so far.

No doubt, though, that Rhyne Howard has to be on everyone's early shortlist for NFOY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom