SPEAK WITH ONE VOICE ONE TIME, state leaders | The Boneyard

SPEAK WITH ONE VOICE ONE TIME, state leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well-publicized state capitol press conference. Led by Malloy. Flanked by Blumie, Murphy, congressional delegation, Herbst, Manuel, Calhoun, Geno and - drum roll - president of CONNECTICUT ENTITIES ESPN AND NBC Sports. But ONLY Malloy and TV guys speak. And short. and sweet.

The Governor: "We understand this is a time of great change in major college athletics. In no uncertain terms we expect the University of Connecticut to be part of that change and to compete for major college championships in all sports. The state and University have made and continue to make significant - I repeat, significant - investments in infrastructure to support our football and basketball programs, among others, which we believe has played a tremendous role in the growth of our university.

"Whatever 'left behind' means, we do not plan nor intend to be in that position when whatever change results from the shifting collegiate landscape. I'd like to make it clear to President Herbst's peers and colleagues that this university and this state have proven in a variety of ways that it has much to offer, that it is more than capable of competing and we will do whatever it takes to make sure that the interests of our flagship university remain protected."

I'd like to turn this over to Mr. Bodenheiemer of ESPN

"Governor, Senators, represenatives. It's my pleasure to be here as a proud resident of the state of Connecticut and represent the large number of our employees who are happy to call Connecticut home. We at ESPN are keenly aware of the massive changes that have occured in major college athletics in the past decade. No one can predict where it might end. But I want to make it clear that ESPN - which is happy to have partnered with the state on several projects, including one major undertaking with which we are currently involved - believe it is in our home state's best interest that its flagship university maintain the place at the table we believe it has rightfully earned in the past decades."

Then Gov turns it over to NBC Sports president Jon Miller.

"We at NBC Sports are relative newcomers to the state of Connecticut, but I'd like to reiterate what my colleague Mr. Bodeheimer said. We too believe it is in the best interest of our home state that its flagship university continue to be a vibrant part of the major college sports landscape, and we urge President Herbst's colleagues throughout the country help facilitate that goal."

That's it, No more talking, dont take questions. Lots of handshakes all around - ESPN & NBC Sports guy, Geno & JC - etc. etc.

SEND A FREAKING UNITED MESSAGE that UConn belongs. People on this board and anyone who watches this press conference can take this any way they want - begging, grandstanding, threatening. But just tell the world WHAT WE ARE, and, by the same token, what we are not. We mean business. Hell, get Robert Vaughn to close it out.

Reaction Score
:eek:

We're good. The question is, B1G or ACC? Can we get Fox to move some employees here too?

Reaction Score
I'm confused sorry I don't live in CT anymore. Did this happen or are you just suggesting that this should happen?

Reaction Score
Should happen. Especially with corporate entities like those in our state.

Reaction Score
Should happen. Especially with corporate entities like those in our state.

The willing participants in any such press conference need to announce something. For instance, review all UConn has going for it including tv market, rankings, titles, facilities etc. and then announce a full steam ahead plan for AAU membership consideration, stadium expansion and hiring of the best possible coaches. I would love to see top quality UConn commercials running during B1G broadcasts.

To take it one step further, I would vaguely infer that our regional rivals are apparently afraid of us and of competition. There is no sound reason from a business or financial standpoint why some of our nearby rivals don't want us in a particular conference. I would encourage other conferences to look at the facts for themselves rather than through the lens of a couple of programs that we have been taking to the woodshed for 23 years. I would say it is a very unique situation in which the best thing for Northeast sports is being stomped out because a few of our rivals can't bear to compete with us on an even field. One might ask, why do they fear us? We do not fear them, but they fear us. Why? The answer lies in our resources, commitment to excellence and track record of athletic and academic excellence and steady growth. It is our hope and goal that an opportunity will present present itself whereby the University of Connecticut can control it's own destiny free of the chains put in place by regional rivals.

Reaction Score
Why would an nbc guy and an espn guy talk at the same news conference?

Reaction Score
Why would an nbc guy and an espn guy talk at the same news conference?

They wouldn't and there is no need for it. The networks would have nothing to do with it. The commitment of the the state and university to become bigger and better is all that needs publicity.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Would be about as fake as the Rowland-Kraft Patriot Stadium signing party.

I would have liked to know that a phone call or two was placed to ESPN saying whatever the TV rights difference between Uconn and anyone else moving to the ACC, I'm sure it pales in comparison to the support the State has provided ESPN over the years.

I know State Legislature and I can count on you to do the right thing. Click.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
A dog and pony show like that described above would set in concrete the opinion I mentioned in the past that UConn is seen in some important conference circles as "high maintenance". The opinion started after the first ACC raid. Something like this would just reinforce it.

Reaction Score
They wouldn't and there is no need for it. The networks would have nothing to do with it. The commitment of the the state and university to become bigger and better is all that needs publicity.

The networks have nothing to do with it????? How naive are you?

Reaction Score
Well-publicized state capitol press conference. Led by Malloy. Flanked by Blumie, Murphy, congressional delegation, Herbst, Manuel, Calhoun, Geno and - drum roll - president of CONNECTICUT ENTITIES ESPN AND NBC Sports. But ONLY Malloy and TV guys speak. And short. and sweet.

The Governor: "We understand this is a time of great change in major college athletics. In no uncertain terms we expect the University of Connecticut to be part of that change and to compete for major college championships in all sports. The state and University have made and continue to make significant - I repeat, significant - investments in infrastructure to support our football and basketball programs, among others, which we believe has played a tremendous role in the growth of our university.

"Whatever 'left behind' means, we do not plan nor intend to be in that position when whatever change results from the shifting collegiate landscape. I'd like to make it clear to President Herbst's peers and colleagues that this university and this state have proven in a variety of ways that it has much to offer, that it is more than capable of competing and we will do whatever it takes to make sure that the interests of our flagship university remain protected."

I'd like to turn this over to Mr. Bodenheiemer of ESPN

"Governor, Senators, represenatives. It's my pleasure to be here as a proud resident of the state of Connecticut and represent the large number of our employees who are happy to call Connecticut home. We at ESPN are keenly aware of the massive changes that have occured in major college athletics in the past decade. No one can predict where it might end. But I want to make it clear that ESPN - which is happy to have partnered with the state on several projects, including one major undertaking with which we are currently involved - believe it is in our home state's best interest that its flagship university maintain the place at the table we believe it has rightfully earned in the past decades."

Then Gov turns it over to NBC Sports president Jon Miller.

"We at NBC Sports are relative newcomers to the state of Connecticut, but I'd like to reiterate what my colleague Mr. Bodeheimer said. We too believe it is in the best interest of our home state that its flagship university continue to be a vibrant part of the major college sports landscape, and we urge President Herbst's colleagues throughout the country help facilitate that goal."

That's it, No more talking, dont take questions. Lots of handshakes all around - ESPN & NBC Sports guy, Geno & JC - etc. etc.

SEND A FREAKING UNITED MESSAGE that UConn belongs. People on this board and anyone who watches this press conference can take this any way they want - begging, grandstanding, threatening. But just tell the world WHAT WE ARE, and, by the same token, what we are not. We mean business. Hell, get Robert Vaughn to close it out.

Absolutely the way to go. This business of simply assuming the position and pretending that Tulane and ECU and maybe even Navy will do is kidding ourselves. UConn deserves at seat at the grown up table. Connecticut's only culpability in this matter is having waited decades to jump to big boy football.

Reaction Score
A dog and pony show like that described above would set in concrete the opinion I mentioned in the past that UConn is seen in some important conference circles as "high maintenance". The opinion started after the first ACC raid. Something like this would just reinforce it.

Pretty much... CT is looked at as rich and arrogant in other State's eyes. This would do nothing nor will it ever happen with that cast of characters.

Reaction Score
Pretty much... CT is looked at as rich and arrogant in other State's eyes. This would do nothing nor will it ever happen with that cast of characters.

well with that attitude we might as well turn the football facility over to the soccer team and drop this whole football thing. If you guys get off taking whacks at my suggestion, fine. But at least I threw something out there on how to deal with this. Others should do the same.

BTW, I think CT is viewed less as arrogant and rich and more "noveau riche" like one of our Syracuse buddies said. UConn needs to play the ESPN/NBC Sports card at some point.

Reaction Score
well with that attitude we might as well turn the football facility over to the soccer team and drop this whole football thing. If you guys get off taking whacks at my suggestion, fine. But at least I threw something out there on how to deal with this. Others should do the same.

BTW, I think CT is viewed less as arrogant and rich and more "noveau riche" like one of our Syracuse buddies said. UConn needs to play the ESPN/NBC Sports card at some point.

Trust me... In my travels I have had the arrogrant, rich, fast talkers thrown out more times than not.

Timing in life is everything and our timing this time around sucked. Learn from it and patch the holes for the next time. We got snubbed for a much richer and profitable atheletic department with a seasoned 15 year leader who had a more rabid collegiate fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom