Sparks’ Alana Beard Named 2018 Defensive Player Of The Year | The Boneyard

Sparks’ Alana Beard Named 2018 Defensive Player Of The Year

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anyone wondering why the Sparks continue to employ Beard, here's the reason:

NEW YORK,
Aug. 30, 2018 – Los Angeles Sparks guard/forward Alana Beard has been named the 2018 WNBA Defensive Player of the Year, the WNBA announced today. Beard earned the honor for the second consecutive season, becoming the fifth player in league history to win the award in back-to-back seasons.

Beard received 16 votes from a national panel of 39 sportswriters and broadcasters. Three-time WNBA Defensive Player of the Year Sylvia Fowles of the Minnesota Lynx finished second with nine votes. Tiffany Hayes of the Atlanta Dream finished third with four votes, while Jessica Breland of Atlanta and two-time Defensive Player of the Year Brittney Griner of the Phoenix Mercury finished tied for fourth with two votes apiece.

images

"I don't know if it's because I'm hard on myself, or because of the way the season played out," Beard said. "But I was shocked when I received the honor. At the same time, I'm really grateful for it. Because it's amazing for this to be happening, back-to-back, so late in my career."

"I hang my hat on the things I know I can do. I know I can out-work anyone," Beard said. "I put my head down and keep pushing no matter what. Nothing will stop me from doing my job. "As a defender, we're dealing with an increased skill level from offensive players.

And with rule changes like defensive three seconds. But I have to give credit to [coach] Brian Agler and my teammates, because we implement a system. And if we stick with it, we're a pretty darn good defensive group."

Beard received nine of a possible 11 All-Defensive First Team votes from a panel of the league’s head coaches. She earned her fifth WNBA All-Defensive First Team selection and ninth All-Defensive nod overall (including four Second Team honors).

Beard (48 points) is joined on the WNBA All-Defensive First Team by Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner (41), Connecticut Sun guard Jasmine Thomas (41), Seattle Storm forward Natasha Howard (37) and Atlanta Dream forward Jessica Breland (34).

The WNBA All-Defensive Second Team consists of Minnesota Lynx center Sylvia Fowles (32 points), Dream guard Tiffany Hayes (32), Lynx forward Rebekkah Brunson (23), Sparks forward Nneka Ogwumike (22) and Washington Mystics rookie guard Ariel Atkins (19).

[Story]

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Stewie vs Maya.jpg

No doubt, Alana Beard is a great defensive player and deserves recognition. I'm perplexed, however, that Stewie isn't on the 1st or 2nd team All-Defense...? Yes, I get that Stewie is ALL-World on offense. But how can she not be in the top 10 defensive players in the league? Consider:

1. Rebounds - Stewie was 3rd in the league with 283 total rebounds. Got to assume many were defensive, right? Beard was not in the top 30.
2. Steals - Stewie had 46, 5th highest in the WNBA. Beard had 44.
3. Blocked shots - Stewie had 48, 7th in the league. Beard was not in the top 30.

I get that stats only tell part of the story and Alana plays extremely tough defense. So does Stewie. In fact, she was WNBA All-Defense 2nd team in 2016. I'm betting she didn't regress on defense. I guess when you win WNBA Most Valuable Player and score the most points (727) in the league, you can't also be one of the defensive stars...:rolleyes:

Go Stewie..!!

P.S. - The other player in the above picture led the league in steals (56) and was twice WNBA All-Defense 2nd team (2014 & 2017). She is not in the top 10 either...
P.S.S. - Stewie played in 33 games, Alana only in 29. Per game steals is higher for Beard. Total steals is higher for Stewie.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom