Spain/Portugal | The Boneyard

Spain/Portugal

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I am planning a trip to Spain and Portugal in April with my girlfriend for two weeks. We’re going to Barcelona, Madrid, Mallorca, and Lisbon. If you’ve been with a significant other and have suggestions on food/attractions/sites/must sees etc I would appreciate any input as we plan our itinerary. Thanks in advance

Reaction Score
Watching a game at Camp Nou or the Bernabeu is sweet if you're a soccer fan. For nightlife check out Razzmatazz. Better than the clubs downtown by the main beach strip. Also Sitges was a sweet beach little town about an hour outside Barcelona.

Reaction Score
Been to Barcelona and Torremolinos on the gold coast. Travel agent recommended to skip Madrid, less fun.

Loved both Barcelona and Torremolinos, would do both. Lots of things to do in the Andelucia area, Cordoba, Grenada, Sevilla etc. The beaches on the coast in the Mediterranean are beautiful but might be too cold depending on when you go.

Lots to do in Barcelona, great restaurants, museums, the Sagrada church and plenty of hiking, very scenic. Never been to Portugal. Good luck and have fun

Reaction Score
Been to Barcelona and Torremolinos on the gold coast. Travel agent recommended to skip Madrid, less fun.

Loved both Barcelona and Torremolinos, would do both. Lots of things to do in the Andelucia area, Cordoba, Grenada, Sevilla etc. The beaches on the coast in the Mediterranean are beautiful but might be too cold depending on when you go.

Lots to do in Barcelona, great restaurants, museums, the Sagrada church and plenty of hiking, very scenic. Never been to Portugal. Good luck and have fun
Sign up for Sagrada Familia tickets online and you get to skip the lengthy line, or did when I went ten or so years ago.

Reaction Score
We like Fuengirola. Ronda or Caminito Del Rey are interesting. A unique town is Setenil.

Reaction Score
I am planning a trip to Spain and Portugal in April with my girlfriend for two weeks. We’re going to Barcelona, Madrid, Mallorca, and Lisbon. If you’ve been with a significant other and have suggestions on food/attractions/sites/must sees etc I would appreciate any input as we plan our itinerary. Thanks in advance

Been to all of 'em a few times except Mallorca. In two weeks, I might consider skipping it. You're going to be cramped for time. 3 travel days in a 2 week trip is a lot.

I'll poke through my old journals later and get some recs.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I have a home in Portugal and travel there every other year for about a month. There is a ton to see in Lisbon, if you are in to history. Public transportation is great in the city so it is very easy to get around. Depending how long you are in Lisbon you may want to just pick one area, like Belém, Alfama, or Principe Real. It is a very congested and hilly city so some areas are more walkable than others and it will take a little get from section to section.

Go to Pastéis de Belém in the Belém section for the original pastel de nata (custard filled pastry). Mercado da Ribeira (Time Out Market Lisbon) is great for food options. It is like Parkville Market or Eataly with a bunch of high quality food options in a cafeteria setting. Order the house wine at the restaurants, they are cheap and good. In general I would recommend eating more inland away from the river as that is a touristy area and prices will be higher and quality will be lower. Try to learn some simple things to say in Portuguese, like many countries they do speak English, generally, but attempting their language will go a long way. The Portuguese are very friendly and it is an extremely safe country. Just protect your wallet and have your girlfriend be diligent about her purse because there are pickpockets in the cities, especially the tourist areas.

Reaction Score
Spaniards like the pig. They showcase them (cooked ones) in storefront windows, put them on bar tops, hang them from ceilings, in their closets…..they’re everywhere. Sometimes they still have the fur on. Just a warning. They also like to serve their shrimp whole body including the head. Why? Who knows. Was in Madrid one time and went out for dinner at 9 pm, walked into a restaurant and the staff was in there eating. They said come back at 10. If these people start eating at 10 how do they get up for work the next day? I do like the olives there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In Portugal, near the border with Spain is the town of Monsanto. Really unique and interesting place. Not a place for nightlife, if that’s your thing. But it’s utterly unique.

Otherwise, we loved Lisbon. Beautiful city with a fascinating blend of architectural styles. There are fantastic Roman ruins not far. The Roman Ruins of Portugal - David's Been Here

Reaction Score

Bored at work already, so let's see what I've got...

Lisbon:
  • There's a night train to Madrid if that's your thing.
  • Sintra day trip is WELL worth it, even if the day is exhausting.
  • Tram 28 is super touristy, but kind of a bucket list item.
  • Pasteis de Belem (and others) are a must have. Put tons of powdered sugar and cinnamon on it. You might have a heart attack, but it will be worth it.
  • Jeronimos monastery is really cool if you're into churches (or before you get churched out as always happens in Europe). When I visited there was a cardinal visiting and the place was packed. Still really cool though.
  • Obviously visit St. George's castle if you're into history.
  • The Santa Justa elevator is a must-do for me, even if the line is long and there are better ways up the hill. It's just a really beautiful old machine.
  • At the top of the elevator there's the Igreja de Carmo--it's an old destroyed church but it was one of my favorite things on the trip.

Madrid
  • Day trips to Toledo and Segovia if you can pull it off. Segovia has that ridiculously delicious suckling pig. And Toledo is a really well preserved medieval city. It was 100 degrees when I went to both in 2017 (I think) and I still loved it.
  • Prado--I'm not a big art museum guy and still enjoyed this one for half a day with my wife.
  • Royal Palace. People compare it to Versailles a lot which is probably nuts. It's cool, but not great IMO. Other people do seem to love it though.
  • Plaza Mayor and Puerto del Sol are popular with people. I didn't really get it, but it was fun to snap some pics.
  • Buen Retiro park is pretty cool for a stroll.
  • I went on a free walking tour in Madrid that covered all sorts of Spanish Civil War history. I REALLY loved that. If you're into 20th-century history, I'd go for it. I can find the link to the company if you're interested.

Barcelona:
  • Sagrada Familia (duh). Get your tickets ahead of time.
  • Don't skipp La Pedrera and throw in Casa Batllo if you can help it.
  • Parc Guell is famous for a reason. Sign up for a tour online! they're only an hour but very informative.
  • I enjoyed the Picasso Museum as well. It's organized from his childhood to adulthood. Really cool to see how precocious he was as a kid.
  • Palace of Catalan Music my wife LOVED. Personally, I'd skip it if you're only there a few days.
  • I did a "Gaudi" free walking tour here and loved it as well. Sign up if you have time.
  • Gothic Quarter is awesome. Both cathedrals are worth visiting if you are into churched and architecture.
  • If you like soccer at all, head to Camp Nou. the tour was awesome.

Sticking by my "cut Mallorca" tip instead of rushing yourself. But you do you, obviously =) I'm a slower traveller than most.

Drew

Reaction Score
Watching a game at Camp Nou or the Bernabeu is sweet if you're a soccer fan. For nightlife check out Razzmatazz. Better than the clubs downtown by the main beach strip. Also Sitges was a sweet beach little town about an hour outside Barcelona.
We have tix to FCB at Camp Nou. Not a soccer fan at all but super super pumped

Drew

Reaction Score
i’ll see if i can get some recos for you - cousin grew up there and is a chef who returns often. Stay tuned.
Would be amazing- thank you

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
In Portugal, near the border with Spain is the town of Monsanto. Really unique and interesting place. Not a place for nightlife, if that’s your thing. But it’s utterly unique.

Otherwise, we loved Lisbon. Beautiful city with a fascinating blend of architectural styles. There are fantastic Roman ruins not far. The Roman Ruins of Portugal - David's Been Here

There is also an underground abandoned Roman city under Lisbon. You can only access it one or two times a year when the water level drops. If I remember correctly I believe it is sometime in April. Unfortunately I have never been in Lisbon in April, but that is definitely something I want to see.

Drew

Reaction Score
I have a home in Portugal and travel there every other year for about a month. There is a ton to see in Lisbon, if you are in to history. Public transportation is great in the city so it is very easy to get around. Depending how long you are in Lisbon you may want to just pick one area, like Belém, Alfama, or Principe Real. It is a very congested and hilly city so some areas are more walkable than others and it will take a little get from section to section.

Go to Pastéis de Belém in the Belém section for the original pastel de nata (custard filled pastry). Mercado da Ribeira (Time Out Market Lisbon) is great for food options. It is like Parkville Market or Eataly with a bunch of high quality food options in a cafeteria setting. Order the house wine at the restaurants, they are cheap and good. In general I would recommend eating more inland away from the river as that is a touristy area and prices will be higher and quality will be lower. Try to learn some simple things to say in Portuguese, like many countries they do speak English, generally, but attempting their language will go a long way. The Portuguese are very friendly and it is an extremely safe country. Just protect your wallet and have your girlfriend be diligent about her purse because there are pickpockets in the cities, especially the tourist areas.
Very helpful.. we are staying in/near Principe Real so that is good to know. Super helpful advice, have never been to Portugal but have heard amazing things so can’t wait to see for ourselves. Appreciate the food recs- Will definitely go for a pastry and the market style food.

Reaction Score
Your travel agent is nuts. World class museums and food. Royal palace. Medieval and Spanish Civil War history is super interesting. Day trips to Escorial, Toledo and Segovia are within a cpuple hours.

I'm sure you are correct, but there was just not enought time to see it all. Barcelona has more of a night life than Madrid. We wanted the Mediterranean and some fun, and Madrid just didn't fit the travel plan.

We intend to go back and might spend a few days there

Drew

Reaction Score
Spaniards like the pig. They showcase them (cooked ones) in storefront windows, put them on bar tops, hang them from ceilings, in their closets…..they’re everywhere. Sometimes they still have the fur on. Just a warning. They also like to serve their shrimp whole body including the head. Why? Who knows. Was in Madrid one time and went out for dinner at 9 pm, walked into a restaurant and the staff was in there eating. They said come back at 10. If these people start eating at 10 how do they get up for work the next day? I do like the olives there.
Girlfriend is a huge shrimp eater.. this should be a fun conversation later

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score

Lisbon:
  • Pasteis de Belem (and others) are a must have. Put tons of powdered sugar and cinnamon on it. You might have a heart attack, but it will be worth it.
  • Jeronimos monastery is really cool if you're into churches (or before you get churched out as always happens in Europe). When I visited there was a cardinal visiting and the place was packed. Still really cool though.
  • The Santa Justa elevator is a must-do for me, even if the line is long and there are better ways up the hill. It's just a really beautiful old machine.
  • At the top of the elevator there's the Igreja de Carmo--it's an old destroyed church but it was one of my favorite things on the trip.
Excellent list. All well worth seeing if time permits. Castelo São Jorge and Santa Justa are relatively close, but know you will have to walk up pretty steep roads to get to the castle.

Reaction Score
I'm sure you are correct, but there was just note nought time to see it all. We wanted the Mediterranean and some fun, and Madrid just didn't fit the travel plan.

We intend to go back and might spend a few days there

Yeah, I'm not a beach guy in the least so it made more sense for me. I hate beaches. I've probably been to the Mediterranean 10x in my life. My beach experiences go as far as "yep, that's a beach" and move along lol.

Reaction Score
Excellent list. All well worth seeing if time permits. Castelo São Jorge and Santa Justa are relatively close, but know you will have to walk up pretty steep roads to get to the castle.

The exact words in my journal regarding the walk to Sao Jorge was "duck* that"... I figured it wouldn't be worth mentioning that to OP!

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
Very helpful.. we are staying in/near Principe Real so that is good to know. Super helpful advice, have never been to Portugal but have heard amazing things so can’t wait to see for ourselves. Appreciate the food recs- Will definitely go for a pastry and the market style food.

Principe Real and Alfama are my favorite Lisbon districts. Principe Real is very walkable and has tons of bars/nightlife as it is a younger up and coming district. There is a park with centuries old trees forming a canopy which is a nice place to relax with an espresso (bica in Lisbon) and a pastry after walking around.

Drew

Reaction Score

Lisbon:

Madrid
  • Day trips to Toledo and Segovia if you can pull it off. Segovia has that ridiculously delicious suckling pig. And Toledo is a really well preserved medieval city. It was 100 degrees when I went to both in 2017 (I think) and I still loved it.
  • Prado--I'm not a big art museum guy and still enjoyed this one for half a day with my wife.
  • Royal Palace. People compare it to Versailles a lot which is probably nuts. It's cool, but not great IMO. Other people do seem to love it though.
  • Plaza Mayor and Puerto del Sol are popular with people. I didn't really get it, but it was fun to snap some pics.
  • Buen Retiro park is pretty cool for a stroll.
  • I went on a free walking tour in Madrid that covered all sorts of Spanish Civil War history. I REALLY loved that. If you're into 20th-century history, I'd go for it. I can find the link to the company if you're interested.

Barcelona:
  • Sagrada Familia (duh). Get your tickets ahead of time.
  • Don't skipp La Pedrera and throw in Casa Batllo if you can help it.
  • Parc Guell is famous for a reason. Sign up for a tour online! they're only an hour but very informative.
  • I enjoyed the Picasso Museum as well. It's organized from his childhood to adulthood. Really cool to see how precocious he was as a kid.
  • Palace of Catalan Music my wife LOVED. Personally, I'd skip it if you're only there a few days.
  • I did a "Gaudi" free walking tour here and loved it as well. Sign up if you have time.
  • Gothic Quarter is awesome. Both cathedrals are worth visiting if you are into churched and architecture.
  • If you like soccer at all, head to Camp Nou. the tour was awesome.

Sticking by my "cut Mallorca" tip instead of rushing yourself. But you do you, obviously =) I'm a slower traveller than most.
Absolutely incredible. Thank you so so much

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom