Sox pursuing Dempster | The Boneyard

Sox pursuing Dempster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to ESPN the Sox are going after Dempster hard. Maybe Theo will take Beckett , DiceK and Sweeney.

Reaction Score
This is something that does not make a lot of sense. Demster has pitched very well this year but he is 35 and has a lot of innings behind him. Right now the Sox have a six-man rotation so they must be offering one of their current starters. I hope it is not Dubront, Morales, Buchholtz or Lester. I doubt the Cubs would be interested in Cook so that leaves Beckett. He would have to OK that deal but I think I would do that and throw in Dice K and Sweeney. You might have something there Danzz.

The problem with this deal is that it is not for the future which is where I would be concentrating on now.

Reaction Score
Demster could very well turn into a Lackey by next season. Theo would only take Dice K if the Sox ate a bunch of his contract. I would imagine that the Cubs will be looking to add young players. I would love to see the Sox move Beckett but not for the most popular reasons because all the Beckett stuff was blown out proportion IMO.
Beckett has to reinvent himself because his fastball in only about 92 so he has to become a different type of pitcher. He has shown signs that he can do that but the jury is still out but he still may be attractive to Theo. The Sox could throw in Nava or some of the AAA players they have been showcasing.
Morales has shown that he can be an effective starter and I like the way Cook has looked. I wouldn't sell the farm for Demster. I'd rather have Bucholtz or Lester than Demster.

Reaction Score
Demster gets hurt every season and he's about due.

I don't even follow baseball and I know that.

Reaction Score
I sure as hell do not know who Demster is, but Dempster plays for the Cubs.

Cubs fans think they'll get someone like Matt Barnes, Xander Bogaerts, or Ryan Lavarnway for Dempster. That is pure ludicrous. Dempster will be the cheapest "good" pitcher out there, precisely because of his age.

Reaction Score
According to ESPN the Sox are going after Dempster hard. Maybe Theo will take Beckett , DiceK and Sweeney.

Yeah, I am sure he wants a bunch of bad contracts and older players on a team he is trying to rebuild. Especially for a guy that 10 other teams are looking at and is in the middle of a 33 inning scoreless streak.

Maybe the Yanks will trade ARod, Kuroda and Nix for King Felix.

Reaction Score

He has pitched 200 innings or more the last 4 seasons.

Reaction Score
I sure as hell do not know who Demster is, but Dempster plays for the Cubs.

Cubs fans think they'll get someone like Matt Barnes, Xander Bogaerts, or Ryan Lavarnway for Dempster. That is pure ludicrous. Dempster will be the cheapest "good" pitcher out there, precisely because of his age.
And if they don't get a good young player, the Cubs aren't trading him. Its that simple. Only in bizzaro world are the Cubs interested is swapping one overpaid head case for a different overpaid head case.

Reaction Score

For sure you don't follow baseball. Not only has Ryan Dempster pitched over 200 innings for the last four years but he has averaged better that 13 wins each year for the lowly Cubs. In the three years prior to that, he was the closer averaging almost 30 saves per year. On top of that, this year he hasn't given up a run since May and is 5-0 for June and July. He is paid a lot ($14 million in 2012) but he is earning his keep. By the way both Beckett and Lackey are paid more. Also, the latest rumors have him going to either the Dodgers or Braves.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I am sure he wants a bunch of bad contracts and older players on a team he is trying to rebuild. Especially for a guy that 10 other teams are looking at and is in the middle of a 33 inning scoreless streak.

Maybe the Yanks will trade ARod, Kuroda and Nix for King Felix.

I guess you do not understand sarcasm, that sucks.

Reaction Score
And if they don't get a good young player, the Cubs aren't trading him. Its that simple. Only in bizzaro world are the Cubs interested is swapping one overpaid head case for a different overpaid head case.

They can get a good player, but I think them getting a top 5 player in any farm system would be stupid. Dempster is the kind of guy who could net the Cubs 2-3 prospects in the 7-20 range. If we were talking about Garza...

Reaction Score
The sox better go nowhere near this guy. If Beckett and Lester step up and pitch like they're expected to pitch, they won't need anyone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The sox better go nowhere near this guy. If Beckett and Lester step up and pitch like they're expected to pitch, they won't need anyone.

I don't get Lester. He should be better. Does anyone else think his mechanics are off? It's like he's aiming. I'm am no expert on this stuff at all but he looks too deliberate. Probably misses John Farrell.

Reaction Score
I don't get Lester. He should be better. Does anyone else think his mechanics are off? It's like he's aiming. I'm am no expert on this stuff at all but he looks too deliberate. Probably misses John Farrell.
I think it could be any or all of the following:

He misses John Farrell
He misses Jason Varitek
When he got the fat contract, he let himself get out of shape.

If it's his mechanics, shame on the pitching coaches for not noticing.

Reaction Score
How long are you going to give them? If you count last September, we are almost at a full year. With Beckett, I think it is conditioning. You should not be losing your fast ball at 32. With Lester, I don't know but it surprises me that we are not hearing that they are trying something different. I know that the pitching coach missed some time, but why aren't we hearing from him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom