Sox Offer 3 Years, $38 Million For Victorino | The Boneyard

Sox Offer 3 Years, $38 Million For Victorino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree it's a lot of money but Shane is a lot cheaper than Carl Crawford and has similar statistics.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Damn, I loved Victorino.

Now I hate Victorino

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I knew offers would be going up with the new national TV revenue, but $13 mill x 3 years for Victorino seems like Argentinian inflation.

Reaction Score
I agree it's a lot of money but Shane is a lot cheaper than Carl Crawford and has similar statistics.

Victorino is nowhere near the player Crawford was while with the Rays not even close.

I think this move spells the end for Ellsbury who will be moved for a starter. Dickey for Jacoby, who hangs up first?

Reaction Score
I think this move spells the end for Ellsbury who will be moved for a starter. Dickey for Jacoby, who hangs up first?

Isn't Ellsbury a FA after this year? No way the Mets would pay him after all that money to Wright.

Reaction Score
Isn't Ellsbury a FA after this year? No way the Mets would pay him after all that money to Wright.

It may not be Dickey but IMHO Jacoby is gone. Gomes, Victorino and Napoli are all high rep team first guys....Ellsbury not so much.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN
twitter_bird.png
Rival officials believe that the Red Sox are laying the groundwork for a trade of Jacoby Ellsbury, for the pitching they need.

Reaction Score

Marc Topkin the Tampa beat writer thinks Keppinger is going to the Yanks to play third for A-Rod.

Reaction Score
Wow! $77 Million for Victorino and Napoli? Have they learned nothing from their past deals?
A lot of money yes but only 3 years. If the Sox learned anything they learned not to get locked in to long term contracts.

Reaction Score
It may not be Dickey but IMHO Jacoby is gone. Gomes, Victorino and Napoli are all high rep team first guys....Ellsbury not so much.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN

twitter_bird.png
Rival officials believe that the Red Sox are laying the groundwork for a trade of Jacoby Ellsbury, for the pitching they need.
He only has a year left on his contract. Who would give up a quality pitcher to get Ellsbury for 1 year?

Reaction Score
No clue what the Sox are doing with these Napoli and Victorino moves. Lots of money and still the same holes they had at the end of last season. And, you're banking that both of them rebound from off years.

The more time that passes, the more it looks like Duquette was a bigger piece of the teams that won championships in Boston. The Theo and current regimes have not been smart at all.

Reaction Score
Ellsbury's agent is Boras. Plus Ellsbury is still supposedly bitter about complaints by teammates, media, fans and mgmt that he did not tough it out the year he hurt his ribs and did not play.

Real good player if healthy but 90% chance he is gone after this season...and will want like 10/$200 million to re-sign...get something real good for him if you can.

Reaction Score
I don't know if they can get it done, but they may be trying to package up Ellsbury, Salty and Lester for King Felix.

Reaction Score
No clue what the Sox are doing with these Napoli and Victorino moves. Lots of money and still the same holes they had at the end of last season. And, you're banking that both of them rebound from off years.

The more time that passes, the more it looks like Duquette was a bigger piece of the teams that won championships in Boston. The Theo and current regimes have not been smart at all.
The Sox are filling holes and not getting tied up for more than 3 years. They are trying to buy time without breaking the bank and would rather pay a premium for above average players than get locked in long term (Crawford, Gonzalez). They need a CF because Ellsbury will be gone next year for sure and possibly this year if they can make a deal. Victorino fills that spot and there isn't a anybody else available for CF unless they got involved with Hamilton and they are not doing that.
So far I'm ok with Napoli and Victorino. Napoli gives them much needed right handed power and Victorino fills a need.They have to get a #3 starter behind Bucholtz and Lester.
The Sox have some arms in the minors who could be ML starters (Uconn's Matt Barnes for one). They also have some very good position players but none appear ready yet. The Sox are simply filling in with what was available.

Reaction Score
I don't know if they can get it done, but they may be trying to package up Ellsbury, Salty and Lester for King Felix.
The problem with that deal is the Sox would still need another starter and Ellsbury will be a FA next season so his value is limited. It ends up pretty much being Lester for King Felix.If I'm the Sox I'd take that deal in a heartbeat but I'd guess that Seattle would want a top prospect thrown in.

Reaction Score
The problem with that deal is the Sox would still need another starter and Ellsbury will be a FA next season so his value is limited. It ends up pretty much being Lester for King Felix.If I'm the Sox I'd take that deal in a heartbeat but I'd guess that Seattle would want a top prospect thrown in.
If I'm not mistaken, both Lester and Ellsbury are from the Northwest and Seattle might be able to sign both long term. Salty would give them some pop and they certainly need that. With King Felix in the rotation, you would now have the King, Buchholtz, Lackey, Dubront and Morales. Rubby De La Rosa may be ready to help. I would like to see them get Masterson back from the Indians too. He has an easy pitching motion and I think Farrell could work wonders with him.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, both Lester and Ellsbury are from the Northwest and Seattle might be able to sign both long term. Salty would give them some pop and they certainly need that. With King Felix in the rotation, you would now have the King, Buchholtz, Lackey, Dubront and Morales. Rubby De La Rosa may be ready to help. I would like to see them get Masterson back from the Indians too. He has an easy pitching motion and I think Farrell could work wonders with him.

Classic Sox fan mentality. Oh, let's just go out and get one of the premier right handed starters in the game. They'll take what we feel like giving them.

Lester is a 2/3 starter, Ellsbury is made out of rice paper and you just tossed Saltalamacchia to the curb by signing Napoli. I can't imagine why Seattle wouldn't jump at that one.

Reaction Score
Classic Sox fan mentality. Oh, let's just go out and get one of the premier right handed starters in the game. They'll take what we feel like giving them.

Lester is a 2/3 starter, Ellsbury is made out of rice paper and you just tossed Saltalamacchia to the curb by signing Napoli. I can't imagine why Seattle wouldn't jump at that one.
Napoli was signed to play first base. Actually it was the signing of Ross that makes Salty available. I'm not saying that Seattle would do it, but we can dream can't we. After last year, there is not much else for us.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox just signed reliver Koji Uehara. that's a huge upgrade for their bullpen!

Reaction Score
The Red Sox just signed reliver Koji Uehara. that's a huge upgrade for their bullpen!
Wow! I never heard of him but he has some incredible statistics over the last three years. I wish he was 27 instead of 37, however.

Reaction Score
Bump.

Good thread to read and see why none of us are GMs...thank God.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

This is a classic post. Good thing Deep is a brilliant judge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom