South Carolina ver Arkansas | The Boneyard

South Carolina ver Arkansas

Reaction Score
Having moved to South Carolina, interesting watching South Carolina play Arkansas on SEC Channel. Few points I'm sure Geno is aware of:

-Have watched 2/3 of the game and not seen Boston run the court once. Usually a slow trot. Gets gassed after 5 minutes. ONO likely to run her out of game. Clearly overweight but still had a double, double at halftime. Huge-outweighed her Arkansas defender by 50-60+ pounds and moves well on pick and rolls. Does not move on defense but if near the ball will block it.
-Much of SC's offense revolves around getting the ball inside to Boston or when she gets doubled, kicking out to open shooter. If we don't have to double Boston, did not see great SC ball movement.
-Midway through second half, Arkansas got cold but was getting open shots every time down the floor.

SC a good team, but having watched them a few times this year, not as dominate as in the past. Feel good about future match ups.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 63739
Aliyah Boston posts a double double in the first half, imposes her will over the hapless Razorbacks.
The Gamecocks scored 62 points in the 2nd half. UConn will have their hands full on Feb 8.
Box score

Arkansas scored 82 points. Does anyone really think SC will score 104 against UConn?

Reaction Score
Boston is a generational player. She is getting better each game this season, which is scary. ONO will need help from AE. I see both player a lot of minutes at the same time, while Boston is in the game.

Reaction Score
She might turn into a generational player in the future, but I don't see that now. She looks impressive against undersized and over matched centers. But I would like to see her in a game with someone her size where she has to exhibit post moves instead of just over powering the defense. Arkansas is not really a good test for post players. Most top rated posts with size would over power them. She might even be the best post in college right now, but that does not make her generational.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Having moved to South Carolina, interesting watching South Carolina play Arkansas on SEC Channel. Few points I'm sure Geno is aware of:

-Have watched 2/3 of the game and not seen Boston run the court once. Usually a slow trot. Gets gassed after 5 minutes. ONO likely to run her out of game. Clearly overweight but still had a double, double at halftime. Huge-outweighed her Arkansas defender by 50-60+ pounds and moves well on pick and rolls. Does not move on defense but if near the ball will block it.
-Much of SC's offense revolves around getting the ball inside to Boston or when she gets doubled, kicking out to open shooter. If we don't have to double Boston, did not see great SC ball movement.
-Midway through second half, Arkansas got cold but was getting open shots every time down the floor.

SC a good team, but having watched them a few times this year, not as dominate as in the past. Feel good about future match ups.

Interesting take to say the least....especially since Boston put up 26/16/6 blocks, and is only the third player in SEC history to put up 25/15/5 in a conference game, with the others being Candace Parker and Sylvia Fowles.

Reaction Score
Interesting take to say the least....especially since Boston put up 26/16/6 blocks, and is only the third player in SEC history to put up 25/15/5 in a conference game, with the others being Candace Parker and Sylvia Fowles.

Great company to have! I remember watching them battle like it was yesterday, legendary!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
She might turn into a generational player in the future, but I don't see that now. She looks impressive against undersized and over matched centers. But I would like to see her in a game with someone her size where she has to exhibit post moves instead of just over powering the defense. Arkansas is not really a good test for post players. Most top rated posts with size would over power them. She might even be the best post in college right now, but that does not make her generational.

Boston dominated against Kentucky's duo of 6-4 Olivia Owens and 6-2 Dre'Una Edwards the other day.

Last season she had the following games:
Against Baylor: 20 points, 13 rebounds, 2 blocks and dominated against Baylor's Queen Egbo
Against Mississippi State: 21 points, 12 rebounds and dominated going up against 6-5 Jessika Carter

Last season she also had very good games against good teams like A&M (Johnson and Jones), Maryland (top 4 team last year) and Georgia (has big 6-4 Staiti). Played well vs. UCONN too going up against 6-5 ONO.

Boston seals extremely well inside, is great at getting deep position that puts her in a spot to score. She has magnets for hands and catches everything that comes in the paint, can finish over either shoulder and muscle her way to baskets. She has done this against big posts and can also step away and consistently hit from midrange, as well as hit 3s (not as consistently but still good for a center). She's often had some big standout games against better opponents too, with the NC State game being the main outlier. Her post moves aren't as flashy as someone like Griner or Tina Charles, who are both great at utilizing hook shots and scoring off the dribble, but she definitely has good and effective post moves.

Is she "generational?" I'm not sure, and I'm not sure how that term truly applies considering in a 12 year stretch we had Parker, Moore, DT, Stewart and Griner, all of whom could be considered generational. I don't think she's the same caliber of talent as the players mentioned, but she's unique with her size/length/skill and has potential to be a more offensive Sylvia Fowles type of player with her size and skill set. I think Big Syl is more athletic from a jumping and quickness standpoint where Boston has a far more developed offensive game at a similar point in her career. Boston's game will translate extremely well at the next level and I think she'll continue to be more dominant as the season unfolds as SC's offense gels.

Reaction Score
Boston dominated against Kentucky's duo of 6-4 Olivia Owens and 6-2 Dre'Una Edwards the other day.

Against Baylor: 20 points, 13 rebounds, 2 blocks and dominated against Baylor's Queen Egbo
Against Mississippi State: 21 points, 12 rebounds and dominated going up against 6-5 Jessika Carter

Last season she also had very good games against good teams like A&M (Johnson and Jones), Maryland (top 4 team last year) and Georgia (has big 6-4 Staiti). Played well vs. UCONN too going up against 6-5 ONO.

Boston seals extremely well inside, is great at getting deep position that puts her in a spot to score. She has magnets for hands and catches everything that comes in the paint, can finish over either shoulder and muscle her way to baskets. She has done this against big posts and can also step away and consistently hit from midrange, as well as hit 3s (not as consistently but still good for a center). She's often had some big standout games against better opponents too, with the NC State game being the main outlier. Her post moves aren't as flashy as someone like Griner or Tina Charles, who are both great at utilizing hook shots and scoring off the dribble, but she definitely has good and effective post moves.

Is she "generational?" I'm not sure, and I'm not sure how that term truly applies considering in a 12 year stretch we had Parker, Moore, DT, Stewart and Griner, all of whom could be considered generational. I don't think she's the same caliber of talent as the players mentioned, but she's unique with her size/length/skill and has potential to be a more offensive Sylvia Fowles type of player with her size and skill set. I think Big Syl is more athletic from a jumping and quickness standpoint where Boston has a far more developed offensive game at a similar point in her career. Boston's game will translate extremely well at the next level and I think she'll continue to be more dominant as the season unfolds as SC's offense gels.

She also struggled mightily against Cunane, who arguably was the best post in the nation a season ago. Just because you’re “big” doesn’t necessarily mean you are extremely skilled. Not taking anything away from any of those players, but Egbo isn’t exactly someone that will give most top teams trouble. In fact, she has been essentially useless against most of Baylor’s opponents this season because she hasn’t been able to defend without fouling.

I think the “generational” term gets thrown around a little too much, but she’s a great talent for sure. I don’t think there are many elite bigs in college basketball anymore, so it’s really hard to say how she’d perform if she were battling players with her size and skill consistently.

Reaction Score
She also struggled mightily against Cunane, who arguably was the best post in the nation a season ago. Just because you’re “big” doesn’t necessarily mean you are extremely skilled. Not taking anything away from any of those players, but Egbo isn’t exactly someone that will give most top teams trouble. In fact, she has been essentially useless against most of Baylor’s opponents this season because she hasn’t been able to defend without fouling.

I think the “generational” term gets thrown around a little too much, but she’s a great talent for sure. I don’t think there are many elite bigs in college basketball anymore, so it’s really hard to say how she’d perform if she were battling players with her size and skill consistently.

I’d like to point out that Cunane struggled just as much as Aliyah in that matchup. It was basically a wash IMO. As good as Aliyah has been this year she hasn’t scratched the surface on how good she will become by her senior year. I wouldn’t label her generational yet until she claims some titles but so far she has been very good regardless of competition.

Reaction Score
. . .

I think the “generational” term gets thrown around WAY too much

To me, it cannot be even considered until a player's senior season - if then. Are Aja or Stewie even "generational" at this point? They are the same "generation" but maybe we won't know until their careers end whether one or the other is truly "generational."

Reaction Score
I think I can safely say Boston is good. That is why UConn wanted her.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think the “generational” term gets thrown around WAY too much

To me, it cannot be even considered until a player's senior season - if then. Are Aja or Stewie even "generational" at this point? They are the same "generation" but maybe we won't know until their careers end whether one or the other is truly "generational."
Stewart has proven to be an all time great by any measure where A'ja hasn't.

Stewart:
2 WNBA titles in 4 seasons
2 WNBA Finals MVPS in 4 seasons
1 MVP and 1 runner up for MVP
2x 1st Team All WNBA, 1x 2nd Team All WNBA
4 NCAA titles
3x POY
3x First Team All American
4x Final Four MVP

Wilson:
0 titles in 3 seasons
1 MVP
1x 1st Team All WNBA
1 NCAA Title
2 Final Fours
1 POY season
3x First Team All American
1 Final Four MVP

Eye test gives a big edge to Stewart too IMO.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Stewart is among the very best of all time and the premier talent in women's basketball right now. Wilson is a solid notch below unless she starts winning a bevy of titles. I've always felt A'ja Wilson has a similar skill set and trajectory to Tina Charles. Both are excellent and skilled players who are going to be regulars on All-WNBA teams, but neither is in the running for best of all time or is likely to win several titles as the go to player on their team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Arkansas scored 82 points. Does anyone really think SC will score 104 against UConn?
1611071105127.png

Box score

At their last meeting, UConn held the Gamecocks to 70 points.

Reaction Score
Did we watch the same game? LOL
Game was within 8 points about 8 minutes into second half. This was when Arkansas missed about 7 open shots in a row. Seemed like each time Arkansas missed, SC then got it down low to Boston who had someone 5 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter guarding her. Was a relative blow out after that. Boston seemed out of breath every time down the court but seemed like no one was guarding her.

Reaction Score

Good assessment. While I cried when Boston did not come to UConn, I can see where there may not have been a match. Even with proven "generational players," like Stewie, Diana, etc., Geno always trying to see how great they can possibly be. While Boston is physically one of the most unique women's players ever, her lack of conditioning would have driven Geno crazy.

Reaction Score
I do think we need to wait before annointing Boston as a generational player. Players often hit their peak early, while some hit it late. Bostons best asset, her size, she had as a freshman. I don't think her an Fowles are a good comparison. They have different body types. Boston, to her credit, is attempting to expand her game. When she reaches the next level she knows she will not be able to overpower the opposition like she has often done in college. She needs to develop more offensive skills. Another factor that often comes into play, especially for women is body type, it they undergo a change in college like KML did. It should not affect her as much because she is a post and not a guard, but in is still capable of slowing her down. But as a post it could turn out to be an advantage.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Good assessment. While I cried when Boston did not come to UConn, I can see where there may not have been a match. Even with proven "generational players," like Stewie, Diana, etc., Geno always trying to see how great they can possibly be. While Boston is physically one of the most unique women's players ever, her lack of conditioning would have driven Geno crazy.
I think you're on your own in calling her overweight/not well conditioned. Keep in mind Geno had Stef Dolson for 4 years who was never trim or fast up the court and she excelled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom