South Carolina Inks 7 year/$22.8 million Contract with Dawn Staley | The Boneyard

South Carolina Inks 7 year/$22.8 million Contract with Dawn Staley

Reaction Score

“Under the new contract, Staley's base salary will be $1 million per year with outside compensation starting at $1.9 million in the first year and escalation by $100,000 per year thereafter. Her 2021-22 compensation begins at $2.9 million with the final year topping out at $3.5 million. The contract includes additional performance compensation opportunities up to $680,000 per year.”

Reaction Score
Congrats, Coach Staley and to the women's basketball program at the University of South Carolina.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She gets a lot of criticism but at the end of the day, in about a decade Dawn's turned SC into a powerhouse and has put butts in seats. Congrats to her, well deserved.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, that makes Dawn the highest paid coach at USC.
Nah, Frank still makes a little more but it does make her the highest paid coach in the SEC and and extends her contract to 7 years. That at some point during that contract she will make more than $3Mil is impressive.

Reaction Score
Dawn is a good coach..... and has 1.5 natties, if you include the self promotion stunt when she claimed the Gamecocks were the best in the land, better than Oregon even.....

Nobody will ever be a fraction as good as Chris and Geno

Reaction Score
Dawn is a good coach..... and has 1.5 natties, if you include the self promotion stunt when she claimed the Gamecocks were the best in the land, better than Oregon even.....

Her 1.5 in 13 seasons at SC is ahead of Geno's pace. ;)

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

The women's game has changed way too much for anything close to the "Geno-Pat Summit" runs of years past. The college programs are more well funded, attended, televised and the talent is more developed and spread out. There is no "come here, we care about WBB and the others don't" selling point. Those single program dominations are in the rear view mirror.

Reaction Score
The women's game has changed way too much for anything close to the "Geno-Pat Summit" runs of years past. The college programs are more well funded, attended, televised and the talent is more developed and spread out. There is no "come here, we care about WBB and the others don't" selling point. Those single program dominations are in the rear view mirror.

the Stewie 4-peat basically just happened so I'm not sure that's true.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
the Stewie 4-peat basically just happened so I'm not sure that's true.
Wow...that was my whole point. UCONN hasn't won a championship since and the championship has been an "anyone can" event. UCONN is still very much in the picture but so are many others. The fact that an Arizona team from last year can play for the title is proof that the talent is way spread out.

Reaction Score
And somebody different has won it every year. 2017 Gamecocks 2018 Notre Dame 2019 Baylor 2020 ? 2021 Stanford. Pretty much proves his point.

Reaction Score
Wow...that was my whole point. UCONN hasn't won a championship since and the championship has been an "anyone can" event. UCONN is still very much in the picture but so are many others. The fact that an Arizona team from last year can play for the title is proof that the talent is way spread out.

South Carolina finished the covid interrupted season #1, lost by a bucket in Final Four game last year that might well have been a title with a put back, and is preseason #1 this season. SC will likely be #1 or #2 next preseason.

maybe Dawn gets 0 titles out of all that, but it easily could have been 4 in a row I guess.

or if Fudd is the second best player in country maybe there will be another UConn dynasty.

I don't think the sport is past that possibility at all.

Mulkey and Muffett and Tara and Dawn were all very relevant when Geno got 4. Programs were competing hard, but that group was just too good.

dynasties are very much still in play until early entry becomes a real thing. Imo.

Reaction Score
And somebody different has won it every year. 2017 Gamecocks 2018 Notre Dame 2019 Baylor 2020 ? 2021 Stanford. Pretty much proves his point.

just shows there hasn't been a great young core recently. Not that 2016 wasn't really recent. I mean the games were in color so far as I recall.

it could easily happen again.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
South Carolina finished the covid interrupted season #1, lost by a bucket in Final Four game last year that might well have been a title with a put back, and is preseason #1 this season. SC will likely be #1 or #2 next preseason.

maybe Dawn gets 0 titles out of all that, but it easily could have been 4 in a row I guess.

or if Fudd is the second best player in country maybe there will be another UConn dynasty.

I don't think the sport is past that possibility at all.

Mulkey and Muffett and Tara and Dawn were all very relevant when Geno got 4. Programs were competing hard, but that group was just too good.

dynasties are very much still in play until early entry becomes a real thing. Imo.
.....but it wasn't a 4 year run....I didn't say there wouldn't be a top cast of characters. I said there won't be the runs of yesteryear.....the fact that some have been competitive lately backs what I have been saying. They were "becoming" competitive is different from they "are" competitive.

Reaction Score
.....but it wasn't a 4 year run....I didn't say there wouldn't be a top cast of characters. I said there won't be the runs of yesteryear.....the fact that some have been competitive lately backs what I have been saying. They were "becoming" competitive is different from they "are" competitive.
I don't consider 2016 to be yesteryear.

More like yesterday.

I don't see any particular indication that a program could not rattle off several in a row or at least several within a time frame.

6/8? probably not. That's the outlier and again more recent than yesteryear.

3/8 or 4/8. Back to back? Very possible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom