South Carolina and UConn Press Conferences | The Boneyard

South Carolina and UConn Press Conferences

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Don't know why they have So Carolina and UConn scheduled back to back.

Some won't like what Dawn said about UConn. Others may not like what Geno had to say about Women Head Coaching Job Opportunities.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Some won't like what Dawn said about UConn. Others may not like what Geno had to say about Women Head Coaching Job Opportunities.

I thought a couple of things:
1. Kaela Davis gave really good answers to some sort of awkward questions - what ever opinion (and there are negatives ones out there) you have about her, I think this was just a well spoken and thought out response to a press conference.

2. I thought Dawn was as good as I have ever seen her in a presser. No problem about what she said about Uconn, the AAC does allow a certain level of work during games and practices that is perhaps more forward looking than other programs in tougher conferences. The idea of having to prepare all year with Uconn and their standard of play in mind is not new but very well explained from a coaching perspective. Uconn is raising the standards and coaches with ambition are doing the same to try and match up. I liked the 'working to reduce the margin of error' statement as well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And Geno was great! His last answer was really good as well, but I think he left out the part that Dawn mentioned - that coaching women is now seen as a career move for men and 'cool' so there are more men willing to go that direction. And mentioned by neither - you can make a good living at it now. Maybe not men's coach level, but better than working check-out at Walmart which is where it was at 30 years ago for almost all women's coaches.

Reaction Score
And Geno was great! His last answer was really good as well, but I think he left out the part that Dawn mentioned - that coaching women is now seen as a career move for men and 'cool' so there are more men willing to go that direction. And mentioned by neither - you can make a good living at it now. Maybe not men's coach level, but better than working check-out at Walmart which is where it was at 30 years ago for almost all women's coaches.
I think what both of them left out on the declining number of female coaches is now there are more good paying jobs coaching WCBB than there used to be. Since there are more men coaching overall than women, the pure numbers mean there are more men qualified for those good paying jobs.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
That was confusing by Dawn...in one breath she says that UConn is good because they don't play anyone and have time to prepare. In the other, she says they are good because they play so many top teams that they are ahead of the game.

Reaction Score

I think that if Geno and Dawn were on a panel together they would end up pretty much in agreement. They're both have valid points IMO. No question that (non-coaching) career options for college educated women have grown significantly over the past 25+ years & Dawn is certainly right that the visibility of women's basketball (and Geno's success in it) has made it a more viable career path for male coaches to pursue. Since the number of coaching positions in WBB are more or less finite, the competition for each one has essentially doubled from what it used to be, way back when.

What annoys me is the kind of underlying notion that "something should be done about it", that underlies this type of question. That there is perhaps there is some kind of gender discrimination going on. And (unsaid, but there) that perhaps some kind of "gender equality" rule should be installed for WBB coaching positions. Do you mandate that a coach of each gender be interviewed for every head coaching job? Please don't give the NCAA any ideas. There certainly are a lot of great women coaches. The Final Four is equally divided M/F. Same with the Elite Eight if memory serves. Let's not create an issue that isn't there. Makes for good headlines I guess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom