OT: /Sous Vide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get one steak a month, and today is the day.

Skirt steak or flank steak - one is better for grilling, but I can remember which one.

Sooooo ... What's the best steak for grilling? I love ribeye, but not at the price I saw this morning ($21/lb for prime).

Bought two ribeye. (2.45 oz) on sale for $15.00, at S&S. Let'em sit in the fridge for a few days then grill. Tender, delist.
I couldn't find anything but prime ribeye at my local Stop and Shop. Did you get the two for $15, or was it $15 each? I haven't bought steak in so long, I can't remember what each cut costs on average.

Curiouser
Flank is easy peasy to grill and perfectly enjoyable if done right, and if cut properly (diagonally on angle across grain). Sear each side for two minutes and then cook each side three more minutes over medium heat. Put under tin foil with a little vent for ten minutes before slicing.

PS: Put flank in large freezer bag with Italian dressing and put in fridge for at least several hours before grilling.

As for nicer cuts, rib eye and New York strip are my favorites. I really good rib eye is tops imo, but tougher to find (I usually only trust good meat markets for those). New York strip is more consistent and reliable and for that reason more of a go-to for me when grilling.

PSS: Allow all meat to reach room temperature before grilling if possible.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball

Skirt steak or flank steak - one is better for grilling, but I can remember which one.

Sooooo ... What's the best steak for grilling? I love ribeye, but not at the price I saw this morning ($21/lb for prime).
NY Strip if you want a fair amount of fat. Sirloin if you want it lean. Skirt and flank would require some marinading in my view.

Flank is easy peasy to grill and perfectly enjoyable if done right, and if cut properly (diagonally on angle across grain). Sear each side for two minutes and then cook each side three more minutes over medium heat. Put under tin foil with a little vent for ten minutes before slicing.

PS: Put flank in large freezer bag with Italian dressing in put in fridge for at least several hours before grilling.

As for nicer cuts, rib eye and New York strip are my favorites. I really good rib eye is tops imo, but tougher to find (I usually only trust good meat markets for those). New York strip is more consistent and reliable and for that reason more of a go-to for me when grilling.

Costco has cap sometimes and it's very good.

PS: Put flank in large freezer bag with Italian dressing and put in fridge for at least several hours before grilling.

Very important tip right here.

My late husband taught me about steaks, what to buy and what to look for. His family was in the restaurant business when he was growing up. Try to buy the brownish looking steaks, especially ribeye, as they are aged. When store has a sale on steaks, buy on Monday am as that's when they put out the leftover from the weekend and are aged and on sale.

When I freeze a steaks grill it frozen, as even defrosting in the fridge it losses too much juices. Comes out great.

THE best way to cook a steak IMHO is sous vide. Look it up, but you seal in a plastic bag and cook it in water at a very specific temp which correlates to rare, medium rare etc. It cooks to that point and it WILL NOT overcook. You can hold it for several hours if you need to and every steak will be perfect. You finish on a very hot grill inside or out to give it the crustiness and grill marks. I've cooked 8-10 steaks at once and every one was perfect and exactly the same. It's a little weird to talk about but the results are great.

It also works for fish chicken and pork as well as veggies. Low quality cuts are be made to be fantastic with more time as well.

I'm curious. Do you make any decisions in your life without consulting the Boneyard? Listening to all us morons can't be good for you.

THE best way to cook a steak IMHO is sous vide. Look it up, but you seal in a plastic bag and cook it in water at a very specific temp which correlates to rare, medium rare etc. It cooks to that point and it WILL NOT overcook. You can hold it for several hours if you need to and every steak will be perfect. You finish on a very hot grill inside or out to give it the crustiness and grill marks. I've cooked 8-10 steaks at once and every one was perfect and exactly the same. It's a little weird to talk about but the results are great.

It also works for fish chicken and pork as well as veggies. Low quality cuts are be made to be fantastic with more time as well.
Souls vide is great if you have the time. Holding it at the desired temperature is what gives it its flavor -- the longer the better. The color of the meat can look a bit off as well, so you have to get used to that.

For me, I use my Big Green Egg to grill whenever possible. 750 degrees, perfect even crust/sear, medium rare all the way through. Add a few pecan chips for a touch of smoke.

Interesting.

I've seen that A1 commercial recently where they say to cook in oven @ 250 and then sear at end in pan with butter

Other people just say to cook on high and turn frequently. Challenge is, the steak houses can get broilers to 1500 degrees+, max for a grill is 600-700, can't easily replicate

It's usually cheaper and I just think it tastes better. My grandfather was a butcher and that was his favorite cut.
It's just the outside of the Ribeye. That's my favorite part of a Ribeye anyway probably because it's the fattiest. Then you roll it into a wheel so it's steak shaped. Here's a good sous vide vid of it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Back to the OP, skirt or flank? I'd go flank and listen to those who discussed marinading it for a few hours and how to cook it, let it rest and then cut it.

FYI, Mrs. Diesel just did a flank this week that we got from a Food Network recipe. Get the flank, put on a dry rub, wrap it tight in plastic wrap, leave it on counter for 90 minutes and then put it on grill. The salt from the rub helps with the tenderizing. Letting steak "warm up" on counter makes sure the quick sear gets the steak to the correct internal temperature quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.