Sources: Kevin Ollie starts contract talks with UConn but hasn't ruled out NBA | The Boneyard

Sources: Kevin Ollie starts contract talks with UConn but hasn't ruled out NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My favorite line.......

For the near future, it's possible he won't be a more wanted pro commodity than now.

Only in two years at the helm now mentioned among elite and every NBA team wish list, but this window will close as fast as it opened? !

Reaction Score
My favorite line..

Only in two years at the helm now mentioned among elite and every NBA team wish list, but this window will close as fast as it opened? !
It is a tautology. He's comparing the near future to now?! Yet that is still hedged with "it's possible".
Bad writing, editor needed yesterday, now or in near future.

Reaction Score
Smart Ollie! He is knowlegeable, experienced and masterful at contract negotiations, that's unquestionable. Warde will be in a 'war' which only Ollie knows the outcome. Great leverage and position for Ollie to be in.

It may not be about the money, but its about the best UConn contract that he can get. Ain't nothing wrong with that. Get the 'power' along with the security, Coach.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Pay him what they can now and hope for P5 invite (and money) to give him more later. Do the same for Diaco if he has a good first year (read: bowl game).

Reaction Score
"For the near future, it's possible he won't be a more wanted pro commodity than now."

And it's possible he might!

Reaction Score
I don't believe Boat would be back if Ollie did not guarantee that he would return.

Reaction Score
My favorite line..

What he said is not wrong.

He just won a title in his first year eligible, who knows what happens in the next few years as were stuck in the AAC.

Just like how DD left as his stock was highest.

Reaction Score
What he said is not wrong.

He just won a title in his first year eligible, who knows what happens in the next few years as were stuck in the AAC.

Just like how DD left as his stock was highest.

Huh? How much money would DD had made in the 2014-2015 season if he stayed at UConn?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
that's anybody's guess, but here's a good read that Parrish @ CBS just put out about how its not always safe to assume that a junior who is a borderline 1st round/2nd round talent is always going to boost his stock during his senior year

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-most-real-nba-prospects-the-way-some-suggest

On the other hand, Shabazz Napier.

DD was basically playing the best ball of his career at UConn at the very end. If he had done that his entire senior year, you can't tell me that he wouldn't have risen well high in the first round.

Reaction Score
Huh? How much money would DD had made in the 2014-2015 season if he stayed at UConn?
A lot less maybe, or maybe a lot more.

I do not get your point? DD was not considered anywhere near a first round picking going into March and now he probably will be. That means his stock is the highest its been.

He easily could have gone back to what he was during February and been a boardline draft pick in 2015.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
that's anybody's guess, but here's a good read that Parrish @ CBS just put out about how its not always safe to assume that a junior who is a borderline 1st round/2nd round talent is always going to boost his stock during his senior year

No better example than of this than KEA.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My favorite line..

My favorite part was mentioning Crenshaw, as if Ollie is going to live in his boyhood home.
Note to anyone with a clue: While South Central Los Angeles has gotten somewhat better over the last 23 years (read: drive-bys are no longer featured on the national nightly news), One does not choose to live in Crenshaw unless one has no other options.

A quick, back of the envelop calc. (based on NBA veteran minimum salaries) shows that Ollie has made about $12 Mil gross. Reduce that by 10% for professional fees (agent/lawyer/accountant) and then reduce it again by 30% of the gross (for taxes. this is conservative because any one with an effective rate that close to the nominal rate should fire their accountant) and Ollie still netted about $7 Mil over the last 14 years. Assuming Ollie has his financial house in order, does that sound like a man with no other options? If he were to take the Lakers' job, highly doubt he moves across the street from Smoky and Craig (Before you all find a hair across your a55, please note this is a movie reference).

Reaction Score
On the other hand, Shabazz Napier.

DD was basically playing the best ball of his career at UConn at the very end. If he had done that his entire senior year, you can't tell me that he wouldn't have risen well high in the first round.

yea Parrish didn't say its always the case, as he pointed out with Payne. If DD played like 90-95%% of the Iowa St and UF games on a consistent basis his senior year would it probably help his status, maybe, but after watching him be a starter the past 2 years I have no reason to believe he would actually do that.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think UConn may be thinking double, but who knows if ESPN's sources are accurate.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...nn-huskies-kevin-ollie-talks-double-coach-pay
$2.5 million is more than some NBA coaches. If that included an inflationary escalator (oops. Sorry)... Stair case, then it would probably keep Ollie in Connecticut for the next quarter century if he so chose. I would be surprised if there were points in the deal where it could be re-opened to adjust for market value and performance, just like his current deal.

Reaction Score
lol, Flea from RHCP on Leba*ard's radio show pushing for KO as the next coach of the Lakers

Reaction Score
Mark Jackson didn't have any coaching experience and is making $2,000,000. So up Ollie's AAV to $2mil and call it a day.

Hoiberg just got a bump to $2.6M, and like KO he's coveted by NBA teams because of his NBA background and coaching acumen. Jax's salary shouldn't really come into play when discussing what KO might get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom