Sources: Better chance of CFP expanding than more realignment | The Boneyard

Sources: Better chance of CFP expanding than more realignment

Reaction Score
Unnamed sources (and Chip Brown) but...

Sources: Better chance of CFP expanding than more realignment:

>>Sources told Horns247.com Monday there’s a better chance of the College Football Playoff expanding to eight teams in the next five years than any more significant Power Five realignment.

“In my opinion, the revenue/cable model has and will continue to change, so conference expansion is not as desirable as in the past,” one Power Five athletic director told Horns247.

“The College Football Playoff expansion conversation seems to be coming up more frequently by influencers.”

Reaction Score
Could it be we've been selling Aresco and his influence in and knowledge of the media short?

What if:
With cord-cutting and diminishing interest in sports among younger viewers, ESPN projected no growth in real revenues in spite of the AAC's improving profile in football; and

Aresco's level annual payout deal for the AAC rights became the "canary in the coal mine" for the P5, NCAA and networks about future revenues for them as well; and

The P5 determined the addition of another round of playoffs would add enough revenue to offset projected reductions or flat payouts like the AAC contract; and

The added revenue from the four additional games (first round) would go to the conferences represented by the eight teams in the first round (1/8 to each team's conference); and

What's "just one more game" for the "student athletes" when it will assure the gravy train continues to run?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Expanding to 8 teams isn't necessary and is going to dilute the playoff and the regular season.

However, money talks, and I'm sure a 1 v 8 game would get more viewers than Bowl Game 59

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
“In my opinion, the revenue/cable model has and will continue to change, so conference expansion is not as desirable as in the past,”

LOL no kidding - past expansion makes no sense either!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Expanding to 8 teams isn't necessary and is going to dilute the playoff and the regular season.

However, money talks, and I'm sure a 1 v 8 game would get more viewers than Bowl Game 59

I wouldn’t mind 8. If they made it 5 P5 winners and 3 at larges that would be better than the stupid arguments we have today.

Plus it opens it up to some variety.

Reaction Score
If I am a coach for any of the elite programs I fight the idea of expanding as much as I can. I do not want to have an injury in an early round game that screws my team.

Reaction Score
If I am a coach for any of the elite programs I fight the idea of expanding as much as I can. I do not want to have an injury in an early round game that screws my team.
No coach is going to fight it. They all want it expanded so its easier to get in, just like the basketball tourney.

Reaction Score
No coach is going to fight it. They all want it expanded so its easier to get in, just like the basketball tourney.

Most may not but I know for certain of two that would. Their names are Saban and Malzhan. I heard both of them make references to injuries as a concern of expanding the playoffs during presentations to the Monday Morning Quarterback Club here in BHM.

Reaction Score
Cmon John

Making the College Playoffs will invoke a contractual clause. Mo’ Money for the HC

Reaction Score

That's what they said about switching to the playoff in the first place. The regular season is already diluted. Has been for years. That narrative was proven wrong then and it will be proven wrong when they expand to 8.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t mind 8. If they made it 5 P5 winners and 3 at larges that would be better than the stupid arguments we have today.

Not at all... more teams in the hunt will add some excitement.

Ultimately, I guess I'm just not that passionate about the playoff with either set up. Call me crazy but I didn't hate the old BCS computer set up putting 1 v 2 and calling it a day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ultimately, I guess I'm just not that passionate about the playoff with either set up. Call me crazy but I didn't hate the old BCS computer set up putting 1 v 2 and calling it a day.

yep the playoff has been a dud. getting rid of people arguing about 4v5 would be nice though.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
yep the playoff has been a dud. getting rid of people arguing about 4v5 would be nice though.

Yeah, do we really need 2 months of debate whether a 2nd SEC team is going to bump out the Big 10 or Pac 12 champ?

Reaction Score

I would hope it is similar the New Years 6 (P5 conf champs and top G5) plus 2 at large. This way, no matter how remote, at least a G5 school can say they have a chance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would hope it is similar the New Years 6 (P5 conf champs and top G5) plus 2 at large. This way, no matter how remote, at least a G5 school can say they have a chance.

They do. Qualify as an at large.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They do. Qualify as an at large.

There would have to be an assigned spot for a G5 team. They would always be a 7 or 8 seed, but it's probably the only way to keep them (us) feeling like truffles vs. the garden variety button.

I think something would have to give in terms of number of games. That's 16 games and a lot of pounding for the two finalists.

Reaction Score

Best case for g5 i think would be top g5 team if they meet certain stipulations (undefeated, certain ranking, etc.)

Reaction Score
This was my biggest concern.
G5 getting bid makes AAC very relevant in national discussion.

Now a UCF or Houston gets a chance.
The platform would still be stacked against them, but now it’s settled on field.

That is huge for recruiting, coaching, and money. Imagine Boise and BYU joining AAC. Would almost guarantee G5 bid.

Glad UConn will have nothing to do with that.

Reaction Score
That's what they said about switching to the playoff in the first place. The regular season is already diluted. Has been for years. That narrative was proven wrong then and it will be proven wrong when they expand to 8.

BINGO. Schools that make a lot of money from sellouts or near sellouts in 80,000+ venues are well aware of the fact that anything that dilutes the importance of their home schedule is a danger to them.

Reaction Score
BINGO. Schools that make a lot of money from sellouts or near sellouts in 80,000+ venues are well aware of the fact that anything that dilutes the importance of their home schedule is a danger to them.

I think you're agreeing with me, so if not, let me be perfectly clear. Anyone who trots out the tired narrative of "X will ruin the regular season" is completely full of it! Fans, school presidents, athletic directors...all of them are full of the stinky stuff!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom