Sounds like Tulsa is coming to the American/Metro 12,and you have to wonder why | The Boneyard

Sounds like Tulsa is coming to the American/Metro 12,and you have to wonder why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...17/big-east-faces-decisions-on-tulsa-new-name

Jeremy Fowler
College Football Insider
Old Big East faces decisions on Tulsa, new name
March 25, 2013 9:45 pm ET

With an ESPN media rights deal and a breakup with the Catholic 7 basketball schools both finalized, the (old) Big East can properly address two issues: Finding a new name, and finding a new school.

A decision could come soon on Tulsa, which garners strong support within the membership to become the league's 12th school, according to a source.

“The decision is on [commissioner] Mike [Aresco]'s desk,” the source said.

If the Big East extends an invite to Tulsa, the school would present the invitation to its board of directors for approval. C-USA schools make roughly $1 million per year in television revenue, so a move to the Big East – which signed a seven-year deal with ESPN worth a projected $20 million annually to be spread among members – seems logical.

For the life of me, I am trying to get a handle on why the rush to add Tulsa. Maybe I am math challenged, but if Navy doesn't come in until 2015, why the need for a 12th member right now?

From Herbst's position, a part of me (much like Herbst allowing the conference to take UConn's preexisting sny deal and its revenue and give it to the new conference), is wondering why is she allowing Tulsa to be added now?

Why not wait a couple of years and see if a more attractive east coast, bigger named school becomes available? How will ODU's upgrade go, Georgia State, FIU? I'm not saying add them now, but at the same time, why add Tulsa now? Tulsa is a distant fourth choice school in Oklahoma, playing in a 30k seat stadium, in a city of only 400,000 people, in a state of only 3.8m. To boot it has a tiny undergrad enrollment under 5k. If you're the fourth choice in a state that small, where's the value?

It can't be regional partners for Houston and SMU. Heck, with Tulane, USF, SMU, Houston, UCF, and USF, that grouping of schools are already a lot closer than Uconn is to any school not named Temple. And it can't be for this championship game idea. Dividing the pie by 12 schools, 11 in 2014 (instead of 10), 12 in 2014 (instead of 11 where Navy since it is keeping its home games should receive no or reduced fb revenue until 2017), can't possibly be made up by a conference championship game that quite frankly will only interest the fans of the participating schools.

So again, the question needs to be asked: is adding Tulsa in UConn's interest? Of course it isn't. So either Herbst is taking a sit on her hands approach to this, or she is being purposefully aloof. I really hope that it is purposefully aloof with the endgame that the makeup of the conference (like the wbb rights) will never impact UConn because UConn is a very temporary member of the new conference.

BUt it is becoming increasingly clear that unlike Texas in the Big 12, UNC (and later FSU) in the ACC, OSU and Michigan in the Big Ten, UConn is not asserting itself. To be outraged at the passivity or heartened, that's the big question.

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...17/big-east-faces-decisions-on-tulsa-new-name

Jeremy Fowler
College Football Insider
Old Big East faces decisions on Tulsa, new name
March 25, 2013 9:45 pm ET

With an ESPN media rights deal and a breakup with the Catholic 7 basketball schools both finalized, the (old) Big East can properly address two issues: Finding a new name, and finding a new school.

A decision could come soon on Tulsa, which garners strong support within the membership to become the league's 12th school, according to a source.

“The decision is on [commissioner] Mike [Aresco]'s desk,” the source said.

If the Big East extends an invite to Tulsa, the school would present the invitation to its board of directors for approval. C-USA schools make roughly $1 million per year in television revenue, so a move to the Big East – which signed a seven-year deal with ESPN worth a projected $20 million annually to be spread among members – seems logical.

For the life of me, I am trying to get a handle on why the rush to add Tulsa. Maybe I am math challenged, but if Navy doesn't come in until 2015, why the need for a 12th member right now?

From Herbst's position, a part of me (much like Herbst allowing the conference to take UConn's preexisting sny deal and its revenue and give it to the new conference), is wondering why is she allowing Tulsa to be added now?

Why not wait a couple of years and see if a more attractive east coast, bigger named school becomes available? How will ODU's upgrade go, Georgia State, FIU? I'm not saying add them now, but at the same time, why add Tulsa now? Tulsa is a distant fourth choice school in Oklahoma, playing in a 30k seat stadium, in a city of only 400,000 people, in a state of only 3.8m. To boot it has a tiny undergrad enrollment under 5k. If you're the fourth choice in a state that small, where's the value?

It can't be regional partners for Houston and SMU. Heck, with Tulane, USF, SMU, Houston, UCF, and USF, that grouping of schools are already a lot closer than Uconn is to any school not named Temple. And it can't be for this championship game idea. Dividing the pie by 12 schools, 11 in 2014 (instead of 10), 12 in 2014 (instead of 11 where Navy since it is keeping its home games should receive no or reduced fb revenue until 2017), can't possibly be made up by a conference championship game that quite frankly will only interest the fans of the participating schools.

So again, the question needs to be asked: is adding Tulsa in UConn's interest? Of course it isn't. So either Herbst is taking a sit on her hands approach to this, or she is being purposefully aloof. I really hope that it is purposefully aloof with the endgame that the makeup of the conference (like the wbb rights) will never impact UConn because UConn is a very temporary member of the new conference.

BUt it is becoming increasingly clear that unlike Texas in the Big 12, UNC (and later FSU) in the ACC, OSU and Michigan in the Big Ten, UConn is not asserting itself. To be outraged at the passivity or heartened, that's the big question.

I am fairly certain it was reported that, to get the tv contract we did, we promised ESPN a conference championship game. So we have to get to 12 teams by whatever time period was specified in the contract.

Reaction Score
If that is true, I might jump on Fishy's aresco hater's bandwagon.

I am fairly certain it was reported that, to get the ty tv contract we did, we promised ESPN a conference championship game. So we have to get to 12 teams by whatever time period was specified in the contract.

Reaction Score
I am fairly certain it was reported that, to get the ty tv contract we did, we promised ESPN a conference championship game. So we have to get to 12 teams by whatever time period was specified in the contract.

The smarter play would be to wait and see if the Big 12 gets what it wants in the new rule to allow conference championship games without 12 members.

That way we don't have to divy up the small pie any more than we have to.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The confusing piece is it's on Aresco's desk. Is he the commissioner or the King? If the schools want to invite Tulsa (not that I understand why) what the hell do they need his permission for?

Reaction Score
The confusing piece is it's on Aresco's desk. Is he the commissioner or the King? If the schools want to invite Tulsa (not that I understand why) what the hell do they need his permission for?

The presidents may make the decision, but it's the commissioner who has to go out and defend it.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This is all an elaborate plan for the CUSA to get distance from UAB. Our new conference mates will next start beating the drums for Southern Miss.

Reaction Score
It does make sense for conference mates not named UConn. Tulsa is used to playing SMU, Houston, Tulane, East Carolina, UCF, Memphis, even USF and Cinci.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I am going to be cautiously optimistic until both April 20th (Maryland Lawsuit date) and after the first week of July passes. But first I have to hear from Herbst own mouth what our strategic plan for sports is and how we are in a great situation with who we are with. If no motion is set in place after those two dates then I will call for Manuel and Herbst to step down. I want to believe that we are in motion to go somewhere. I want to believe that we are not just going to fall into the ACC with others whom do not want us. I want to believe that they see that our great university has developed much of its reputation from the coattail of our sports teams. If we lose those match ups and draws we are going to lose fan support because we all know how fair weathered our fringe fan base can be. They have to give me proof that they are in control because they already ruffled feathers the first time around.

Reaction Score
I get the point the OP is trying to make. I do believe in HYPERBOLE in posting on the Boneyard. But ... how did you get that it's the 4th Best Program in the Great State of Oklahoma? Counting whom?

And ... finally ... UConn is the TOP Program in our State of X million. One of TWO TOP Programs in New England ... a region of X Million. Why does this Cartel need 4 from North Carolina? (it has 4 in California - much bigger state; 5 from Texas) It seems that there is a disproportionate skew that Congress ought to fight against. Every X amount of population should have a Team. Damnit!!

Reaction Score
Tulsa is a distant fourth choice school in Oklahoma,

I can only think of OU and OkState....who is the third Choice --Texas? I can't think of any FBS schools in OK except for OU, OKState and Tulsa!!

Reaction Score
Mike Aresco, January 28, 2012, 58 days before University of Tulsa was added

Aresco said the conference might look to add another school to bring football membership to 12 after Navy joins. But there is no urgency, he said, and expansion will not reach west of Texas, as the conference has abandoned its western strategy.

"You don't need numbers for numbers sake," Aresco said. "We think that ultimately it's the value that schools bring and whether they also fit culturally into the conference's makeup."

"They all have something in common," Aresco said. "They all play football and basketball, except for Navy. They're all great universities, they all are big research universities. The presidents have a real collegiality. We've noticed that everybody seems to get along extremely well. So we're pretty optimistic."

----------------

I would throw up herbst's quote about "innovative and exciting ideas" but don't want to endure any more of Chief00's repressed memories.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would have preferred UMass. This league is an attendance disaster for UConn. The distant teams are not good enough to draw crowds, and there are no close teams to offset that.

Reaction Score
I would have preferred UMass. This league is an attendance disaster for UConn. The distant teams are not good enough to draw crowds, and there are no close teams to offset that.
I'd rather see them play Tulsa.

Good teams are attendance draws. USC would bring a crowd despite being far away. UMass would probably bring more just because it would bring UMass fans. I'd prefer not.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
maybe we are signing up for far flung teams so that when we join the Big12 our administratoin can say our travel would have been just as bad anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom