SOS scheduling impacting HBCU's | The Boneyard

SOS scheduling impacting HBCU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Interesting article about how the SOS requirements are making major programs less willing to schedule HBCU's. I think there will be fewer and fewer games against FCS opponents, which will force any of them that have a prayer of playing FBS to move up, and the rest to slash football budgets and drop to 40 or fewer scholarships.

Reaction Score
Interesting article about how the SOS requirements are making major programs less willing to schedule HBCU's. I think there will be fewer and fewer games against FCS opponents, which will force any of them that have a prayer of playing FBS to move up, and the rest to slash football budgets and drop to 40 or fewer scholarships.

This won't stop the Rutbags from scheduling Norfolk State.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm unconvinced this will happen, but not so sure its a horrible thing, either. I've said for a long time that football is the one sport that D1 schools out to be allowed to play at the D2 or D3 level if they so choose. Playing D1 football doesn't make a whole lot of sense for say, the MAAC schools, but if they had been allowed to play D3, maybe most of them still have teams. Essentially, what the NCAA did was to hold D1 basketball schools hostange if they wanted to play football. That was and remains a bad idea.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For the three people in the world who didn't see this as being an inevitable result of the 4-team playoff, I say "duh".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Isn't this a good thing for UConn in the near term. We are likely viewed as good enough not to ding peoples SOS too severely but not quite good enough to be a serious risk of a loss. The second part will change soon enough.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
What this really means is that Vandy, Rutgers, and Northeastern should be able to schedule anyone they want... :D

Reaction Score
How does this affect UConn though? Does this lead to more bigger name schools trying to get UConn on the schedule because of like CL82 said "good enough to not ding SOS but not quite good enough to be a serious risk of a loss"? Or does this lead to more mutual site games just so that the bigger schools can get the advantage of playing schools like UConn without actually having to travel up north or to a non-power 5 conference stadium? *cough* *cough* SEC *cough* *cough*

Yeah I'd love to see UConn play the Alabama's or Texas's of the college world, obviously I know that it probably won't happen (and that they would probably be very ugly games in terms of Alabama). But hopefully this at least leads to UConn getting some bigger names on the schedule. Like Iowa, Kansas St, Washington or something along those lines. Or maybe I'm just setting my sights too high.

Reaction Score
I've always said that scheduling the elites names is a luxury. Good to do it once in a while if you can, but where you want to go to be successful and frankly to get some attention,is in beating mid-level P5 teams. Wins over Iowa, K-State, Illinois, Minnesota, Mississippi State, those all are legitimate, you can likely get them and if you beat them you are seen as legit. You're rarely getting Michigan, Ohio State, Texas to do any kind of deal. But those mid-level programs are interesting and available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom