Sorta OT: Pistorius and PEDs | The Boneyard

Sorta OT: Pistorius and PEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
News sources are reporting discovery of banned steroidals at Pistorius' home. Sources also report his girl friend was shot 4 times through a bathroom door and she was still alive when he took her from the bathroom to the downstairs level of the home. Isthis a case of 'roid rage? With all the evidence of the terrible impact of the human body and mind of the use of these drugs for performance enhancement it bewilders me how many athletes arewilling to take the horrible risks they do in chasing performance enhancement. I believe we are fortunate that it has not appeared to have invaded basketball.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You didn't mention her crushed skull and the bloody cricket bat found at the sceen, too.

Reaction Score
Also, he shot her once in the bedroom and then she hid in the bathroom and he shot her through the door. Kind of blows his "I thought it was a burgler" theory. At least that's what I heard on the news this morning.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I want to believe basketball has avoided PED use, but I'm skeptical. Clearly, football players are using. Baseball has its well-documented and sordid history. It's a virtual certainty that golfers are using. Cyclists, Olympians, etc? Definitely using. Boxing? For sure! Tennis? Not as clear, but Novak does some weird stuff, and rumors about Nadal have swirled for years.

Given all of this, it's astonishing how rumor-free basketball has been. I'd also be astonished if players weren't using. Perhaps not so much on the women's side (though I wouldn't rule it out), but in the NBA? I have to believe it's a possibility. Between the contracts and the endorsement deals, there is simply too much money at stake.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Also, he shot her once in the bedroom and then she hid in the bathroom and he shot her through the door. Kind of blows his "I thought it was a burgler" theory. At least that's what I heard on the news this morning.
Which was already the second reported story the first being that a shot from outside had entered the house.

Reaction Score
I understand the police are searching for the intruder, who left size 11 Nike blade prints.:rolleyes:

U

UCONNfan1

Such a tragic story all the way around. His story was great for the Olympics, but man, what a brutal murder. Who among us hasn't experienced a flash of fury or rage? But to do what he apparently did, the guy is clearly a monster.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't know what kind of testing they do in the NBA, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if guys used PEDs during training in order to recover faster. They play a brutal schedule.

Reaction Score
I want to believe basketball has avoided PED use, but I'm skeptical. Clearly, football players are using. Baseball has its well-documented and sordid history. It's a virtual certainty that golfers are using. Cyclists, Olympians, etc? Definitely using. Boxing? For sure! Tennis? Not as clear, but Novak does some weird stuff, and rumors about Nadal have swirled for years.

Given all of this, it's astonishing how rumor-free basketball has been. I'd also be astonished if players weren't using. Perhaps not so much on the women's side (though I wouldn't rule it out), but in the NBA? I have to believe it's a possibility. Between the contracts and the endorsement deals, there is simply too much money at stake.

FWIW, I want to believe that bball is clean. I was a fairly high level athlete (in bball on the womens side) and I never came across anything to suggest that there was any use of PED. On the other hand, I had heard of talented age group cyclists quitting because they had been told that they had to use drugs to get to the next level. One thing that I think bball has in its favour is that isn't clear what drug would really help. Sure, steroids/HGH if you need to be strong; EPO/blood doping for endurance; and there are drugs to help with nerves for shooting/biathlon where you need a steady hand, but for bball I'd like to think that there's no substitute for getting up 100 shots a day, and no drug to mimic the creativity of Diana or Kobe. But, then again, maybe that's just being naive.

Reaction Score
Isthis a case of 'roid rage? With all the evidence of the terrible impact of the human body and mind of the use of these drugs for performance enhancement it bewilders me how many athletes arewilling to take the horrible risks they do in chasing performance enhancement.

I think that steroids can increase a person's aggression, but I don't think they turn a normal person into a murderer. If Pistorius was moved to shoot/beat his girlfriend to death, he probably had a personality predisposed to such things already.

Not that the steroids would have mellowed him out any...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom