Sort of bored today and tired of recruiting threads. This is a thread for hoops junkies! | The Boneyard

Sort of bored today and tired of recruiting threads. This is a thread for hoops junkies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a hoops junkie who loves talking Xs & Os, I thought I'd throw this one out there and share some of my thoughts on the topic. What are some areas of weakness that can make a great team good and a good team bad. There's probably no finite list of correct answers in any order of magnitude but here are some of my thoughts. I'm interested in your's as well.

Bad Point Guard Play: Since there have been many posts on UConn's plight to land a 2014 PG and the quality of the returning options we might have at that position, I'll start with the lead guard play. Not having good PG play, which usually means having a solid starting lead guard and at least another guard who can fill in while your number one guys is on the bench or fouled out at the end of the game, is at the top of my list. I recall one of the talented MSU Sparty teams that had a ton of talent at the 2 through 5, but no PG. It killed any chances they had for a deep March run. I'm sure we can all point to this talented team or that one that just couldn't get things done due to poor PG play. You don't need to have one of the best in the country or a do-it-all (handle, pass, drive, 3-ball, defend, etc.) to make a deep March run, but you do need one that knows how to run the offense, sets the temperament of the team (i.e. doesn't panic when things aren't going well or during the most important moments such as winning time). Heck we won it all with Taliek Brown who had some holes in his game, but learned to be a mentally tough leader who took care of the ball and got it to the right teammates at the right time. I wouldn't say he saw the floor at an elite level, but had just enough lead guard ability to make the other very talented players around him get it done. He wasn't an elite defender, but good enough to not let his guy blow by him and blow up the D, which leads me to my next area of exploitation.

Poor Perimeter Defense: Possibly equally crippling to team is having a backcourt that cannot contain their opposing guards. You could throw the 3 into this mix since the perimeter can be exploited at the SF spot as well. I remember a stretch for UConn where we didn't have athletic 3s that struggle to keep the other team's wing(s) from going off. But let's focus on the backcourt duo. I can remember one or more of our talented UConn teams getting exploited due to our guards simply not quick enough to stay in front of the opposing guards. Even the best Team-D scheme can get blown up if the guards can't stop the opposing guards from blowing right by them and forcing the bigs to have to step up and close off shooting and passing lanes. It's one way that you can get your bigs, who might be the strength of you team, in early foul trouble and let the game get out of hand real quickly.

For those who hate long posts, feel free to skip this section: A particular UConn team that comes to mind was the one where we had Marcus Williams at the 1 and had to use two players who were more suited for the wing, and were borderline defenders against that position to begin with, unable to prevent the smaller and quicker 2Gs from blowing right by them. The two that I'm alluding to happen to be players that I really liked in Shad and Denham. Don't get me wrong! They were a very good team and won a load of games, but they had to do a lot to make up for this weakness to win many of their games and many of their losses were due to this being exploited. Note that I don't blame the loss to an inferior GM team on our guards alone, though that was a problem in that game. GM had a couple bigs that outplayed our bigs, one if which I think went perfect or close to it from the field who couldn't seem to miss big shot after big shot. I haven't had the stomach to ever re-watch that game...maybe I watched parts of a recording shortly afterwards...but I remember a lot of our defensive breakdowns were due to our guards unable to check GM's guards leaving our bigs to have to play their's straight up. It seemed when we tried to cheat with help D, they'd exploit it, and playing them straight up didn't seem to work well either during stretches of that game. Some might not remember this, but AJ Price would have been on that team if not for his AVM disorder and a combination of AJ and Marcus Williams would likely have been a better defensive guard-duo than any combination they were able to throw out there that year. Not that I can stave off a debate on the demise of this particular team, I do realize that their backcourt defensive deficiencies wasn't their only issue. The front court played soft toward the end of that season. Boone had a very up-and-down year and got shoved around in the blocks. Hilton who had come on strong was injured in the prior game and tried to give it a go and was completely ineffective. I can't remember if Charley was on that team or not, but they really lacked post toughness. And honorable mention as part of the dysfunction of what was a very talented team was the late game disappearing acts by Rudy Gay. Without looking, I can't remember the specifics as to how the draw to the championship had thinned out, but I along with the rest of Husky fandom saw a wide path to the finals with Mid-Major GM in the E-8 and I think a team we had beaten 2 or 3 times that season awaiting in -4 (Syracuse maybe?). I still don't buy the prevailing reason for their upset loss, was that many of the members of that team were selfish, had the NBA on their minds and took GM for granted. I still see it as a case where a less talented team played the game of their lives with a game plan that exploited UConn's weaknesses, one of which was a slow and defensively challenged backcourt.

Lack of Front Court Size: Another area that is hard to overcome at the high-major level is not having enough size to defend the paint and get some easy points in there. I always say, "You can never have too many bigs!" The only reason why I don't place this at the top is some teams can masque and overcome this weakness with well coached team-D that makes it difficult for the opposing team from getting the ball to their bigs deep in the paint. One team that comes to mind was the one that didn't let LSU get the ball to Shaq in the paint. If they had, he would have done some big time damage. JC was a master in the 90s at this area. It wasn't until the late 90s that we began to get bigs who had prototypical size, starting with Travis Knight, who wasn't exactly a wide body or banger. Jake might have been the first Big with legit 5-man size, and coincidentally was the big-man in the middle for our first NC. After those two, the program began to get bigs with prototypical size Emeka, Boone, Hilton, Hasheem to name a few. Interestingly, the defensive philosophy shifted from lock down perimeter D to funneling the offense into the Bigs to create contested or blocked interior shots. That seems to have chanced lately, in part due to the lack of dominating shot-blockers. I can't remember the exact number, but I'm still amazed that we led the nation in blocked shots for something like 6 or 7 years in a row. I doubt we'll ever see that a kind of run ever again from any program. Getting back to my point, you can have a team with a ton of talent at the 1, 2 and even 3, but if you don't have enough big bodies to defend the paint and make the other team even worry about defending it on their end, well coached teams can take away your perimeter strength. When you make a team worry and game-plan to prevent the bigs from getting the ball in the blocks, they can't commit as many players to close off driving and passing lanes, and prone to giving up a lot of good perimeter looks. I was amazed at how well last years team was able to execute their offense, considering how little they got out of their front-court. Our guards and wings had to work their butts' off to generate their offense. If we had some legit bigs and were eligible for the post season, that team had the pieces for a very deep March run. I hope we get enough out of this year's group of bigs to open things up more for our skilled perimeter players. We won't need All-American play from our bigs, but just a little more than what we got last season to see big things from this team. Bazz, Boat, Omar, Daniels and Niels will be a handful to stop this coming season, especially if teams will also have to worry about our bigs doing any sort of damage if they get the ball in the paint. If Daniels can hold his own at the 4 against most teams and score from anywhere on the floor including the paint, this team is going to be dangerous and fun team to watch.

Lack of Perimeter shooting: This one is obvious. JC was able to overcome this at times in the early 90s by deploying pressure full court D (2-2-1 full court press) and making it a transition game. The philosophy was to try to create more shots, especially easy ones (transition layups & dunks), than the opponent. Try to tire out the other team, especially their bigs. Try to make the other team rush their offense. You rarely see this work now, mainly due to how athletic even the average D1 baller is these days. Many teams are much better at breaking the press now than they were 20 years ago. And even back then, it was hard to win it all with that type of game. UNLV sort of won it that way, though they had some shooters. Arkanas is another team (They called it 40 minutes of Hell, if I remember correctly). Houson's Phi-Slama-Jama was another up-tempo style team, though I think they had some shooters. It would have been fun to see how far UConn could have gone if they had gotten past Dook during the Dream Season. I don't recall who we would have faced after that. I thought UNLV cut down the nets that year and I don't think we would have fared well against them. Getting back to my point here, teams that can't hit Js make it easier to defend them. You can get away with it to a point if you have some athletes that can drive it into the paint and finish in traffic and have bigs that can clean up the misses or catch the dish and throw it down. But eventually teams that don't have a sharp-shooter or two, usually meet their match along the way.

Lack of Athleticism: This one probably belongs above the prior one. Good coaching, especially on the offensive side (example the Princeton offense) can make up for a lack of athleticism. Some coaches work the clock for long stretches to decrease the possessions and make the more athletic teams work hard on D and frustrate them. But in most cases the less athletic teams tend to run out of gas at the end of games and get clipped at the wire. Well coached less athletic teams can get some early round tournament upsets but rarely get past the S-16. Hoops has become a game of athletes. You just don't see Hoosier type teams having much of a chance these days. Although the lumbering, methodical and frustrating hold-the-ball teams like the old Wisconsin Badgers have had some success, their style of play would only get them so far.

That's all I got. Agree? Disagree? Ones I missed.

Reaction Score
Are you aware that there is a poster here that gets annoyed at us posting to mile long posts?

As for me I'll "try" and read your assignment later with my morning coffee and then reply.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I love this post DM, but do you think anyone who hates reading long posts is going to make it to the 500 word bypass in your 2000 word post?

I'll submit a corollary to your PG section. Turnovers. They usually go hand and hand, but you can have a good point guard and still be all around sloppy with the ball. College game usually comes down to 1 or two possessions. Can't give any away with carelessness.

Reaction Score
The first long post from you in quite awhile. I was beginning to think you were sick or someone injected you with a succinct drug. Good to see everything Is ok:)

Reaction Score
To me, you can answer the thing that separates the good from the great, the great from the elite, the mediocre from the good in one word.

Clamps

The nature of the sport is that you end up in close games no matter how good you are, and it will come down to a couple possessions. On offense, you can design the picket fence play all you want, but big shots don't always go in, even when you end up open.

The elite teams can turn their D up that extra notch in winning time and make it really tough for you to score. That's largely why our three title teams won, and the 1995, 1996 and 2006 teams didn't with as much or more talent.

Reaction Score
That has to be a record for longest post of all time. I didn't read it yet but I promise I'll get around to it DM! I gave you a like just for the effort.

Reaction Score
There has to be a place for coaching - and more so competitive fire or refuse to lose. JC somehow instilled this in most (not all) of his teams. JC willed his team/our team to victory when it looked hopeless. Remember the FF win vs Duke. Or the 1999 championship game vs Duke. Or, the game DM mentions, LSU. Or even the UMASS game when we fell behind something like 27 to 7. One could argue and many did say that UCONN had no chance in those games. But somehow JC willed the team and the players to success. Not to hijack the thread, but there's no question in my mind that JC is one of the best college coaches of all time.

Reaction Score
Certainly all DM's points/areas of concern are of major importance; however, I look at the game slightly differently. Taking the offense first as a team I think the first area of concern is early offense. By this I don't mean necessarily fast breaking, scoring off steals; it includes the ability to get the ball upcourt quickly and find shooters early-say in the first 15-20 seconds.

This requires ball handling, passing, spacing, and game sense. It starts with solid defensive rebounding. Don't give the opponents easy baskets. If you are continually playing against a solid set defense of decent opponents; you have a lot to overcome. So score early. When the clock is winding down, it is difficult to find quality shots.

The best UConn teams have had a breakdown player, late in the shot clock having a player who is a real multiple threat-drive, shoot, pass, gives you and important edge. Virtually perfect examples were Gordon in 2004 and Kemba in 2011.

My biggest question coming into this season is defensive rebounding. The only area near as worrying is the health of key players.

Defensively most quality teams have broken away from the all out press. Two highly successful programs which still press continually are Kentucky and Louisville. Calhoun began moving away from the press in the late 90's. It still was an effective weapon in spurts in 99.
UConn devastated SJU in the Big East final using the press in a couple of 5 minute stretches. I believe that as the UConn teams became better offensively Calhoun felt less need to press.
I think that Ollie will employ the press sparingly.
UConn has generally relied on team defense and rebounding even more than uptempo offense. Calhoun was a master at adapting basically a man to man system to his available personnel.

UConn generally has had the ability to get to the FT line. Last year was an exception, and this year's team is probably going to find this
difficult again.

UConn has a very good collection of jump shooters, and clean shots early in the shot clock are generally going to be a pretty good bet; however a lack of offensive balance-few points in the paint-really can hurt a team.

I'm reasonably positive about this team. They played hard and smart most of the time. I think Coach Ollie did a good job of team building. This is particularly important defensively for this team; they must really play superior help defense. With the exception of Calhoun (that may be because of his virtually year long physical problems) none of the key players is a bad defender; however, only Giffey is in the near excellent to excellent class. Size is a limiting factor; speed is a positive. Daniels is speedy, but not quick. None of the bigs has the strength/girth to muscle successfully under the hoop.

It will take us a few more years to see if Ollie really favors particular types of players and works them into a careful system; or if he can adapt a system to the talents and athletic abilities of his players.

C

Chief00

The thing often lost in the GM game disaster was Rudy was 7 for 9 but we either couldn't or didn't get him the ball enough. Not enough ball handlers/distributors or too many guys playing for the NBA draft and taking bad shots.

Reaction Score
The thing often lost in the GM game disaster was Rudy was 7 for 9 but we either couldn't or didn't get him the ball enough. Not enough ball handlers/distributors or too many guys playing for the NBA draft and taking bad shots.

Rudy was 8-16

Biggest problem with GM was that they shot something like 20-30 in the second half and OT. We didn't get a single stop in overtime, other than them missing two free throws at the end.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@DM - nice post professor. Great read for the start of the season.

@Zymurg good to see you back. Since when are you lurker?

C

Chief00

Rudy was 8-16

Biggest problem with GM was that they shot something like 20-30 in the second half and OT. We didn't get a single stop in overtime, other than them missing two free throws at the end.

I stand corrected Rudy was 8-16. My point however holds - Marcus shot 42%, Hilton 37%, Brown 37% Anderson 25%. Adrien only missed 1 shot. They should have gone more to Jeff and Rudy who took about 24 shots combined - if they took over 30 we would have won.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected Rudy was 8-16. My point however holds - Marcus shot 42%, Hilton 37%, Brown 37% Anderson 25%. Adrien only missed 1 shot. They should have gone more to Jeff and Rudy who took about 24 shots combined - if they took over 30 we would have won.
Are you coming up with that conclusion based on looking at the stats or by watching the game again? IMO they were a flawed team that ran into an opponent that played the game of their lives and was able to exploit their weaknesses, poor perimeter defense, lack of interior toughness and a lack of mental toughness with our young future NBA wing. Okay, the last of those three was not really something they exploited, but more recurring problem all season long.

Reaction Score
@DM - nice post professor. Great read for the start of the season.

@Zymurg good to see you back. Since when are you lurker?
Thanks CL82. It's great to see Zy on the board as well, a true fellow hoops junkie. I can't wait to start hearing about the practice reports coming out soon. It seems forever since they last hit the hardwood.

C

Chief00

Are you coming up with that conclusion based on looking at the stats or by watching the game again? IMO they were a flawed team that ran into an opponent that played the game of their lives and was able to exploit their weaknesses, poor perimeter defense, lack of interior toughness and a lack of mental toughness with our young future NBA wing. Okay, the last of those three was not really something they exploited, but more recurring problem all season long.

By looking at stats but I do remember the game. We only had 1 ball handler and they made him work......and Marcus was tired at the end yet started forcing his offense. I agree with all your other points - just that even given all that if we had gone to our match-up advantages we still would have won ugly.

Reaction Score

I agree with your conclusion about why we lost that game (add to it the fact that we only had one legitimate ballhandler), but disagree that they were a "recurring problem all season long".

Most people forget that the 2006 team lost two games over the entire regular season: (1) the BE opener at Marquette, during a decade where JC never had his team ready for BE play after the cupcake schedule in December, and (2) @ Nova, which was a top-5 team all season long.

You could argue that come March they lost focus with the NBA on their minds, playing down to inferior opponents like Syracuse, Albany, UK, Washington, and GM. But through February, these guys had a chance to have the best season in UConn history.

Reaction Score

Rashad Anderson or Denham Brown taking eight shots in 45 minutes isn't a sign of flawed offensive strategy (several of those shots were taken in desperation time too - including obviously two of Denham's). If Anderson doesn't shoot, there's no point in him being out there - that was what he did.

Adrien had an outstanding game, but you don't usually go to your back up freshman power forward in crunch time. If he can get some blue-collar points on putbacks, great, but not like you dump it into him and let him go to work.

Could Rudy have taken more than 16 shots? Sure - I'd agree with that. But he hadn't really been that type of player all year. He averaged 12 FGA per game. He never once took 20. We could get into a fundamental flaw of the team construction with the best player not having an alpha dog mentality with too many older players around him, but that wasn't going to fix itself in a regional final.

My feeling about that game is we scored enough to win. GM scored 40 points in the second half and then scored on every possession in overtime. We were scoring fine down the stretch and OT - we just needed more stops.

But there's certainly room for disagreement. It isn't like there's any one thing that cost us that game - or that year. There was a whole batch of issues in one big mediocre stew.

Reaction Score
I agree with your conclusion about why we lost that game (add to it the fact that we only had one legitimate ballhandler), but disagree that they were "recurring problem all season long".

Most people forget that the 2006 team lost two games over the entire regular season: (1) the BE opener at Marquette, during a decade where JC never had his team ready for BE play after the cupcake schedule in December, and (2) @ Nova, which was a top-5 team all season long.

You could argue that come March they lost focus with the NBA on their minds, playing down to inferior opponents like Syracuse, Albany, UK, Washington, and GM. But through February, these guys had a chance to have the best season in UConn history.

They were showing flaws before the postseason though. We needed two OT to beat a mediocre Notre Dame team (NIT-bound) at home. We lost all of a 17-point lead at 6-23 South Florida before regrouping and winning by 10. We were tied with a minute to go at home against a sub-500 Louisville team in the regular season finale.

We had an A game to beat Nova at home and had a one-week stretch where we blew the doors off Syracuse and Seton Hall, but those were the only times we really looked the part of a national title team after MW came back.

I just know I legitimately feared Albany. Can't say I feared any other 15 or 16 we ever played (although had I known what Elijah Allen would do...).

Reaction Score
I agree with your conclusion about why we lost that game (add to it the fact that we only had one legitimate ballhandler), but disagree that they were a "recurring problem all season long".

I didn't say all three were reoccuring problems, just the problem of Rudy disappearing at the end of games. I remember that Rudy went off big time against Arkansas, one of the early season games. JC himself said early in the season that Rudy was his go to guy, but as a season went on he realize that Rudy wasn't ready and went to a more balanced scoring attack getting more shots to DB and Shad. Near the end of the season Rudy began to figure things out and not force his shot so much, but for whatever reason he would often disappear late in games and was not a player that JC could count on knocking down winning time shots. Granted we had Shad and in the GM game Denham came up huge with a number of big time shots. Even with the flaws that I pointed out, if Rudy continued to contribute the last 10 or so minutes of the second half, that game would have been over by the end of regulation with UConn going to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Get over the GM game already. This has to be the most over analyzed game in UConn history. Look at 2011; that team was 9-9 in the Big East. Between the end of the regular season and the Big East Tournament the coaching staff and the players put it together. Kemba's great play carried them through MSG, but in that cauldron a team was forged. Kemba was prima inter pares, but the NCAA championship was a team triumph.

Ostensibly the 2006 team was much more talented. However, laptopgate and personalities vitiated what should have been a terrific team. I never had the sense that they could overcome adversity. The 99 team had the belief that they would win every close game; the 2011 team gained that belief in the Big East Tournament. Ben Gordon took the 2004 team on his back in the BE Tournament when Okafor had his back problems. He was a classic breakdown player.

I don't believe that 2006 has much to do with physical abilities; it has much more to do with team chemistry, leadership, and coaching.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When people bring up GM my heart grows sad.

Reaction Score
I know it wouldn't have made sense for him economically to come back, but I always thought an extra year at UConn as the undisputed alpha dog would have done wonders for Rudy over the long term.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rudy was/is a great shooter but was a lazy shooter, unlike rip or ray, rudy would never get in motion to get free unless jc gave him an earful. as far as I am concerned, rudy was one of the biggest underachievers. he had all the tools to take a team on his back but lacked heart and desire to lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom