OT: Sopranos Prequel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sopranos Prequel

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Most of the iconic TV and film drama characters of all-time are "bad" guys. Tony Soprano is the greatest TV character of all-time. Walter White, Omar, Stringer Bell, Avon Barksdale, Logan Roy, the Corleones, Hannibal Lecter, Travis Bickle...

You took the troll bait.

Reaction Score
Because it’s just impossible to create new intellectual property these days

Reaction Score
Im actually pretty fired up about this movie. I like how David Chase had a part in this as well and It’s not some random person making the movie with no connection to the show or characters. They don’t really make mob movies anymore, and mob movies are hard to live up to the likes of The Godfather’s or Goodfellas, but I think this movie has a chance to be OK.

Reaction Score
I was really worried this could end up like El Camino. They knocked it out of the park casting Alessandro Nivola as Chrissy's father/ Tony's mentor.
I'm hopeful and optimistic that he will pull off an iconic performance. The supporting cast is strong as well IMO. My only concern is casting Gandolfini's son as young Tony. His voice in the beginning of the trailer took me out of the moment worse than Deniro's corpse kicking the shopkeeper in The Irishmen. Let's hope this isn't Sofia Coppola all over again.

Reaction Score
Whhaaaa Tony's still alive! Can't wait for this!
Well it's a prequel so he's in High School during the movie. Regardless, his son Michael makes for an incredibly believable younger Tony, at least based on the trailer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No. I’m just saying you don’t have to root for anyone. You can just follow the story
If the viewer isn't rooting for the protagonist they did something wrong.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, right.

Okay you're right - I never got into the show and can't name any characters except for Tony. I watched a few episodes but - blah. Felt the same about Breaking Bad - blah. And I have 2 little kids so we're really into Camp Cretaceous right now.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
If the viewer isn't rooting for the protagonist they did something wrong.
Did you 'root' for Holden Caulfield or MacBeth or Don Draper? There are tons of works that should not have you rooting for the protagonist. Stick to fairy tales I guess.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did you 'root' for Holden Caulfield or MacBeth or Don Draper? There are tons of works that should not have you rooting for the protagonist. Stick to fairy tales I guess.
If you are trying to say that viewers weren't rooting for Tony, you're nuts. I was rooting for Tony.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Not sure about "rooting". I didn't root for Tony, when he cheated on his wife, killed his nephew for example. I watched the show, enjoyed the characters.
You're spot on. I watched for the gangster action, scumbaggery, and the occasional college girls working at the Bada Bing club. I didn't "root" for anyone, but did enjoy the complexities and nuances of the characters. I don't think the characters were ever designed for you to "root" for them. They're law breakers with the FBI on their tails.

Reaction Score
As far as TV shows go the Don Draper/Mad Men example is great. He was the protagonist in that show and you were definitely NOT rooting for him. More like wanting to see what would happen to him through all of it.

Reaction Score
think about the casting by the Sopranos. It was amazing. So much talent just popped on screen and developed. I don't think David Chase screws up on this component.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
If you are trying to say that viewers weren't rooting for Tony, you're nuts. I was rooting for Tony.
I'm objecting to the fact that the viewers must root for the protagonist or the creators did something wrong. I think the creators went out of their way to remind us what a monster Tony was and question why we identify with him as viewers.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Here's my hot take no one asked for. Janice is just Tony without the power. Selfish, manipulative, vindictive and destroying everything around her. All the same qualities as Tony except she is universally hated by the fans, unlike Tony.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Here's my hot take no one asked for. Janice is just Tony without the power. Selfish, manipulative, vindictive and destroying everything around her. All the same qualities as Tony except she is universally hated by the fans, unlike Tony.

Agree to an extent. Tony had charisma out the ass which made him likable.

Janice was just insufferable 24/7.

Reaction Score

They were both their mother to a certain extent.

Tony had an outlet for his manipulation, violence and power trips because he was able to step into his father’s role with the mob.

Janice didn’t have the same opportunity to relieve that pressure

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score

They were both their mother to a certain extent.

Tony had an outlet for his manipulation, violence and power trips because he was able to step into his father’s role with the mob.

Janice didn’t have the same opportunity to relieve that pressure
I agree with both of you, his charisma is the key difference between the characters and he derives that from his power and position that couldn't be given to Janice. Maybe Janice is Tony without the patriarchy if that isn't too woke.

Anyway, what a great show.

Reaction Score
I agree with both of you, his charisma is the key difference between the characters and he derives that from his power and position that couldn't be given to Janice. Maybe Janice is Tony without the patriarchy if that isn't too woke.

Anyway, what a great show.

Ha, I didn’t even consider the gendered aspect of my argument.

It was more an indictment of Livia and how she’s the real root villain of the entire show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom