Sonic Highways | The Boneyard

Sonic Highways

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone else watching this HBO doc? Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters documentary tracing the music of eight cities that most influenced him/them, and then bringing it back to their music being produced for their new album from each city.

I know very little about punk, so a lot of this background stuff is pretty educational for me; but it is pretty cool to watch the whole process and all the other music and performers they focus on.

On Demand through December 22 I think.

I am not a huge Foo Fighters fan. I don't own any of their music and don't think I could name a song, but I could recognize them and I do like Grohl and his sensibilities. I think this is very well done and would be enjoyed by any American music fan.

Reaction Score
It is nice that they took in each city and used it to produce songs that sound exactly how Foo Fighter songs always have sounded.

It is a pretty interesting show though a bit ADHD.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It is nice that they took in each city and used it to produce songs that sound exactly how Foo Fighter songs always have sounded.

It is a pretty interesting show though a bit ADHD.
Yeah, I want to like their music more--it just never sticks for me. I think their songs are somewhat ADHD, too, always with a few different parts leading to the inevitable breakdown into the screaming part.

The show makes some unusual choices, but I like that it appears genuine for Grohl. He doesn't often choose the known or predictable music, which means more of it is new to me.

Reaction Score
I watched the first two and didn't care for it and I do like the Foo Fighters. I don't like the manner in which it's filmed and have found it hard to really get excited about watching it. I may give it one more ep before I cut bait.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
New Orleans is tomorrow. I'm guessing it will be one of the better episodes.

Reaction Score
Show is decent (good, not great). I'm a big Foo fan too, so was really looking forward to it, but have not loved all episodes. New Orleans was solid. Loved learning about the history of Preservation Hall and the roots of the music coming from african drumming circles that still show up today. I liked Chicago episode a lot too. Was a little disappointed in the LA episode. So many directions and people they could have focused on, but spent most of the time in the dessert.

Best part about it is learning the history of the music, and some of the great interviews from people who influenced bands that I love. The Meters, Buddy Guy, Neville Brothers, The Runaways, to name a few. The album is just okay overall, IMO.

Reaction Score
If Dave Grohl wasn't in Nirvana...the Foo Fighters would be Nickleback.

...and it sucks because I like Grohl and I want to like the Foo Fighters

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If Dave Grohl wasn't in Nirvana...the Foo Fighters would be Nickleback.

...and it sucks because I like Grohl and I want to like the Foo Fighters

I like Grohl a lot. Don't like Foo Fighters pretty much at all. Its crazy, Grohl is like the only artist I can think of that many people like, but dont like his music, haha.

For example, Jack White, I don't like his music, and I don't like him. :)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like Grohl a lot. Don't like Foo Fighters pretty much at all. Its crazy, Grohl is like the only artist I can think of that many people like, but dont like his music, haha.

For example, Jack White, I don't like his music, and I don't like him. :)
Funny, I like Jack White's music; I don't know much about him though.

For me, Jim James is that guy. Don't like his music and don't like him. And I don't really know why.

Reaction Score
The show is OK. Will watch the last 2 episodes. Really like the FF. Their live shows are outstanding.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I could see them do a second season /album, but it would be a stretch, and probably suffer from diminishing returns. Anyway, some candidate cities: Detroit (Motown, Stooges, Techno, Eminem, White Stripes), Boston (Pixies, Aerosmith, BossTones, Dropkick Murphys, Boston) Muscle Shoals, Alabama (soul), Memphis (blues) San Francisco (Summer of Love/hippy dippy jam bands , Green Day, Metallica, DJ shadow), maybe Atlanta (mostly R&B, hip hop?), Minnesota (Replacements, Husker Du, Prince), Philly (Gamble & Huff era soul, the Roots) .

If they pushed for a third season it would have to go international.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom