OT: Songs with great guitar riffs | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Songs with great guitar riffs

Reaction Score
Guess it depends on what you consider a riff. I suppose a guitar bridge might be a better, more precise definition.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Following @JordyG's latest thread category (being there):

I was there Friday and Saturday. Heard no music (only from a distance), lost my money, lost the friends I came with, found others from my neighborhood (how did I do that!), hitchhiked home on Sunday, missed the first Jet/Giant Yale Bowl.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was there Friday and Saturday. Heard no music (only from a distance), lost my money, lost the friends I came with, found others from my neighborhood (how did I do that!), hitchhiked home on Sunday, missed the first Jet/Giant Yale Bowl.
Ah, but you can say you were there. :cool:

Reaction Score
Boston, another group that was big during my college days. This song from their first album was being played LOUD when my parents were moving me into my dorm at WVU freshman year. Tom Sholz was quite the quitarist.

Has some good keyboard work in it too, if you are into that sort of thing.;)

My favorite Boston song of all time. "More Than A Feeling" had some great guitar work too but this was their best IMO

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Slash tears it up on "Sweet Child o Mine" from Guns and Roses.

When I posted this thread, this "rif" is exactly what I intended...guitar work that immediately identified the song. And BTW, this is the first "rif" that I posted in the thread :)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Ah, but you can say you were there. :cool:
I actually did go down to the music site on Saturday and walked down to the stage. I debated whether to page my lost friends, but it immediately began to pour (again), and I ran back up to the concessions. What people don't tell you, since Woodstock has been so romanticized, is that there was no shade at the music site. The weather that weekend varied between very hot or drenching rain. It often rained when the sun was blazing. Since people had tramped away the grass the dirt was usually a perpetual mud. That smelled. There were no places to bathe, the Porto-San's were frightening and an hallucinatory experience in itself, and few if any brought a change of clothes, nontheless a toothbrush or a change of underwear. "Three Days Of Music, Peace And Love" was actually more like "Three Days Of Stink, Privation, and Starvation, with some great music you could barely see". Watch the movie, listen to the record and reminisce. Either beats the reality.

Reaction Score
My favorite Boston song of all time. "More Than A Feeling" had some great guitar work too but this was their best IMO
Tom Scholz don't get the recognition he deserves as a guitarist. He wasn't even listed in the top 100 guitarist for Rolling Stones and other lists omit him as well.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
According to Deadspin.com, "this riff-tuned-anthem is ubiquitous and seemingly inevitable, an organic part of global sports culture." I was watching some tennis match on tv and, when the crowd started chanting this song I thought, w-t-f ! (oops, I should have backtracked. meyers7 has already posted this song).

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I actually did go down to the music site on Saturday and walked down to the stage. I debated whether to page my lost friends, but it immediately began to pour (again), and I ran back up to the concessions. What people don't tell you, since Woodstock has been so romanticized, is that there was no shade at the music site. The weather that weekend varied between very hot or drenching rain. It often rained when the sun was blazing. Since people had tramped away the grass the dirt was usually a perpetual mud. That smelled. There were no places to bathe, the Porto-San's were frightening and an hallucinatory experience in itself, and few if any brought a change of clothes, nontheless a toothbrush or a change of underwear. "Three Days Of Music, Peace And Love" was actually more like "Three Days Of Stink, Privation, and Starvation, with some great music you could barely see". Watch the movie, listen to the record and reminisce. Either beats the reality.

I was too young, but my sister was there (I have no idea how or whether my parents acceded to that). Her young-man friend had a brand-new Z28, and they went over a (presumably small) cliff in that rain.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And the other floodgate is the guitarist Jimi called "better than me". Terry loved the wah-wah pedal. I'm with the other poster who thinks Chicago should have hung it up when Terry died.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I was too young, but my sister was there (I have no idea how or whether my parents acceded to that). Her young-man friend had a brand-new Z28, and they went over a (presumably small) cliff in that rain.
Heck of a shame. But how the hell did he get that far? When we went traffic gridlocked Interstate 17. We had to bail out of our car 2 miles from the stage. I lost my friends by electing to go back to the car 15 mins after the driver went back. Didn't see hide nor hair of any of the three of them until I got back to Brooklyn.

This is of course the 50 year anniversary of the event in Bethel. What was better for me was returning to NYC. Two days later (August 30th) I attended a concert on the old NY World's Fair grounds across from Shea Stadium. The headliners were Led Zeppelin who premiered their new 2nd album. Plant intro'd themselves, said they had just finished the album and said "Hope you like the songs". During "Moby Dick" a drunk Bonham fell off the stool and couldn't get up. Plant said, "Is there a doctor in the house". The first song they played was "Whole Lotta Love", but they also played this.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom