Son’s First UConn game | The Boneyard

Son’s First UConn game

Reaction Score
Since my post about bringing our two-year-old to his first UConn game turned into a little bit of an advice thread on bringing young kids to a game, figured I’d post a follow up with our experience and some advice.

First and foremost, HE LOVED IT. Got a picture with Red pregame, clapped when we put the ball in the basket, sang “UConn Huskies” to the fight song, danced, made the Jumbotron, watched the team run in the tunnel, got a new UConn basketball to bring home and stayed the whole game — and didn’t really want to leave when it ended. I could see the life-long fan forming before my eyes.

Now some advice for anyone taking a toddler:

+ We had an extra seat for him to use and that was huge. He was much happier sitting in his own seat than on a lap, standing in front of me was also a favorite.

+ The advice to bring noise-reducing headphones from others here was HUGE. We got there 20 minutes before tip and I never realized how loud the pregame hype is until yesterday. All game the headphones were crucial in keeping him happy and into it instead of overwhelmed. The ones we got were 15 bucks at Target, folded up to carry and worked great.

+ We have lower-level seats, the area at the top of our section was great for him to eat, move around a little and get a little break. Went up there from halftime to the U16 and helped break up sitting in one place a lot while still being able to watch.

+ Diaper bags are allowed. Our son is potty trained but this is a HUGE help anyway. Brought some snacks, his travel potty and gave us a place to put things. But keep it light, still kind of a pain to carry around and have at our seats.

+ Do it! If you are debating bringing your kid to a game, go for it. Early in the season, when you don’t have to worry about focusing on the game (I rewatched the whole thing when he went to bed last night).

I said before the game I couldn’t decide if I was more excited about yesterday or going to the Final Four in Houston last spring, but reality is, it wasn’t even close after seeing him enjoy something our family loves as much as we do UConn basketball.

Attachments

• IMG_9308.jpeg
    IMG_9308.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Since my post about bringing our two-year-old to his first UConn game turned into a little bit of an advice thread on bringing young kids to a game, figured I’d post a follow up with our experience and some advice.

First and foremost, HE LOVED IT. Got a picture with Red pregame, clapped when we put the ball in the basket, sang “UConn Huskies” to the fight song, danced, made the Jumbotron, watched the team run in the tunnel, got a new UConn basketball to bring home and stayed the whole game — and didn’t really want to leave when it ended. I could see the life-long fan forming before my eyes.

+ We had an extra seat for him to use and that was huge. He was much happier sitting in his own seat than on a lap, standing in front of me was also a favorite.

+ The advice to bring noise-reducing headphones from others here was HUGE. We got there 20 minutes before tip and I never realized how loud the pregame hype is until yesterday. All game the headphones were crucial in keeping him happy and into it instead of overwhelmed. The ones we got were 15 bucks at Target, folded up to carry and worked great.

+ We have lower-level seats, the area at the top of our section was great for him to eat, move around a little and get a little break. Went up there from halftime to the U16 and helped break up sitting in one place a lot while still being able to watch.

+ Diaper bags are allowed. Our son is potty trained but this is a HUGE help anyway. Brought some snacks, his travel potty and gave us a place to put things. But keep it light, still kind of a pain to carry around and have at our seats.

+ Do it! If you are debating bringing your kid to a game, go for it. Early in the season, when you don’t have to worry about focusing on the game (I rewatched the whole thing when he went to bed last night).

I said before the game I couldn’t decide if I was more excited about yesterday or going to the Final Four in Houston last spring, but reality is, it wasn’t even close after seeing him enjoy something our family loves as much as we do UConn basketball.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score

Glad my advice on the headphones was spot on. Something I learned the hard way…..

Reaction Score
Great post.

Brought back a memory of my own. My sons first made basket on a 10' hoop was in 2004 at Gampel. National Champion Taliek Brown help him up near the rim and the rest is history. He was just shy of his 4th birthday.

Reaction Score
My 35 year old son went to his 1st game at 5 months in the old field house, used to sleep in my arms - never misses one to this day. Said Tate before he said grandma. Met Cliff in '88 when we picked my nephew up from Calhoun's camp, Cliff asked if my son was my nephew's baby, he was 14 at the time.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My father started bringing me to games in 1988 when I was 6 years old and I’ve been hooked ever since. We STILL go to games together. Your son has quite the head start! Very glad you had a good experience and your insight will be valuable to many. In addition to having something that you and your son can experience together and bond around, you are building the generational fan base. I can’t tell you how many people I know go to games with their parents and/or grandparents.

Reaction Score
Much graditude to a deaf friend that hook us up with tickets during championship season. Everyone shook took a a moment to shake my son’s hand.

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/20/00/92322EA1-F537-4D5B-A361-25FCB2C6CB8F/IMG_2695.MOV

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Kids at games are wonderful

Cliff notes anyone?

Reaction Score
Love it

This is my third year bringing my daughter, now 5. Year one I brought her stuff to play with. Year two she got more into it but wanted to leave at halftime. Yesterday she was antsy at halftime but we stuck it out until the u4 in the 2nd half.

But where I’m happy is today she was asking me when I will bring her again.

Start em young!

Reaction Score
Great post.

Brought back a memory of my own. My sons first made basket on a 10' hoop was in 2004 at Gampel. National Champion Taliek Brown help him up near the rim and the rest is history. He was just shy of his 4th birthday.
Josh Boone did the same with my son when he was just about 3. Start them young. Now he's a huge Huskies fan and sports fan in general. It's the best sharing something you love with your kids.
Daniel & Josh Boone2.jpg

Reaction Score
First of many, I hope! Seeing Khalid El-Amin is '99 is the reason I am a UConn fan (and alum). Hopefully your boy has a similar connection.
Similar story for me! Seeing Ray Allen in '95 sealed the deal for my love of the Huskies and helped prioritize picking UConn as my college choice (only applied to two colleges!)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I remember my 1st game in 1961 a few days after Thanksgiving with my father who had 4 season tickets and he invited a business friend who was related to Dom Perno. Perno was sophomore because it was his 1st season on varsity. He played a decent amount of time but I was more interested in the pole vaulters practicing in the old Fieldhouse during the game (I was 6yo!). I went to plenty of games that season and have been until this year- 1st year w/o season tickets.
Ive always taken my kids and never a regret.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom