Sometimes we look like we know what we're doing... | The Boneyard

Sometimes we look like we know what we're doing...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
...then suddenly it goes away. (Rough quote of a Geno statement a couple weeks ago).

Villanova was like that, especially with the zone defense. Did you notice when the bench was emptied in the last couple minutes that the switching in the zone looked like a choreographed dance on a couple of the plays?

Paige looked good at the onset, then became invisible for a long interval. Guess Geno jump-started her during halftime, with nice results.

Another near point-a-minute game for Mir. If she's able to harness that athleticism, watch out! (Currently 1st on the team in FG%, Blocks & Steals per minute, 2nd in scoring, 3rd in rebounds). Yes, I know it's a small sample size, but I'm still impressed.

Download the per-40 stats sheet updated thru Villanova from here.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think if we as a team moved better or at least more consistently without the ball. Paige would not have any of these "down times". As a result, Paige sometimes has to create 1-1 or worse (1-3) which she is very capable of doing but you can tell it is not her preference or try to thread a pass into a very narrow area. I wish I understood why this happens so often with Geno going ballistic on the sidelines to move and screen and cut which would lead to a boatload of Paige gift wrapped opportunities. :confused::confused:

Reaction Score
Bueckers is a terrific player, freshman or not but the excuses and the blaming of her every play that doesn’t result in a “highlight reel” is a bit much. She misses shots, she has turnovers, she throws bad passes amongst the tremendous amount of good plays she makes. You want to know the couple of plays that has impressed me the most? A couple of times she either took or switched on Siegriest (sp?) and she battled hard to avoid being posted. Most of those times were after the game was decided which impressed me to no end. She is a tough kid and has terrific skills, I am not knocking her; BUT she is human and makes mistakes without the help of her teammates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
...then suddenly it goes away. (Rough quote of a Geno statement a couple weeks ago).

Villanova was like that, especially with the zone defense. Did you notice when the bench was emptied in the last couple minutes that the switching in the zone looked like a choreographed dance on a couple of the plays?

Paige looked good at the onset, then became invisible for a long interval. Guess Geno jump-started her during halftime, with nice results.

Another near point-a-minute game for Mir. If she's able to harness that athleticism, watch out! (Currently 1st on the team in FG%, Blocks & Steals per minute, 2nd in scoring, 3rd in rebounds). Yes, I know it's a small sample size, but I'm still impressed.

Regarding Mir -- excluding the concerns of if her defense is bad, her body language is bad (which apparently Geno highly emphasizes), and if she forgets offensive and defensive assignments more than what is deemed acceptable-- just looking at her points per minute--

How effectively can she score vs top 5 - top 10 teams? She wasn't that great of a scorer in college- good - but not "great." And I didn't hear from players like CWill or Evina that Mir was "unstoppable" in practices (though she received praise I believe). And if she "is" this tremendous offensive force-- I'd expect that would have showed up in practices. If the player is a force in practices, then not only does the head coach see it, so does the Asst. Coaches, and so do the players. SO even if the Head Coach is missing it-- there are others there to give him a tug.

I'm impressed too - - what an athlete!! But also have skepticism.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So I guess this has become a Mir thread.

To my amateur eyes, it appears that she is making progress in understanding where she is supposed to be on offense and defense. She clearly isn't used to setting screens, and when she tried to do it one time against Villanova, she used her elbow and got called for a foul. But at least she is trying to carry out the assignment that is called for in the offense.

There is probably a limited role for her against teams like South Carolina and Baylor, where mixing it up in the lane (and absorbing some fouls that would otherwise be charged to Olivia or Aaliyah) is necessary. If she sticks it out and learns the offense and defense (even if it happens slowly, as well Megan Walker and KML), then in future years that will be significantly more minutes available to her.

Reaction Score
I think if we as a team moved better or at least more consistently without the ball. Paige would not have any of these "down times". As a result, Paige sometimes has to create 1-1 or worse (1-3) which she is very capable of doing but you can tell it is not her preference or try to thread a pass into a very narrow area. I wish I understood why this happens so often with Geno going ballistic on the sidelines to move and screen and cut which would lead to a boatload of Paige gift wrapped opportunities. :confused::confused:

What I see for periods of games is Bueckers trying to learn how to play without the ball. She's learning to play within the UConn system. I think it's important for the upperclassmen to be effective despite how Bueckers is playing. As a freshman she doesn't have the conditioning to carry UConn through a season. So I was happy to see how well the upperclassmen did. Come the NCAA's I want a strong and relatively rested Bueckers.

Reaction Score
So far Mir's athleticism has substituted for team skills. It may stay like that this season. But she has been very productive. A good deal of that may have been due to the opposition. If she gets into the Baylor game I'll be surprised but I'd love to see her remind Kim of Davis.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Think back to last season when UConn’s offense would become stagnant for large segments of games, leading Crystal, Megan and others to force up shots. The ball and player movement this season is light years ahead of where it was last year at this time, and it will only get better. The Huskies are very close to being that beautiful symphony on offense that we’ve seen in so many UConn teams from just a few years back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are incredibly young. The fact that our offense looks as coherent as it does is actually pretty impressive.
Spot on. We may lose a game or two and it may come when least unexpected but by March all things are possible with this group. For perspective, watching archived games is terrific. This team may be the most physically explosive group to ever start a season. Watching DePaul at Creighton and am instantly seeing slow feet and 10 players “waiting”. UConn is, collectively, a whirling dervish and there are long periods when you’re well advised not to take your eyes off the screen. They should fly past DePaul. Kim Mulkey and the Lady Bears ? Kim got no idea what she’s about to get hit with...a hallmark of Baylor-UConn games is Baylor simply being a step slower and less versatile. UConn by twenty.

Reaction Score
Think back to last season when UConn’s offense would become stagnant for large segments of games, leading Crystal, Megan and others to force up shots. The ball and player movement this season is light years ahead of where it was last year at this time, and it will only get better. The Huskies are very close to being that beautiful symphony on offense that we’ve seen in so many UConn teams from just a few years back.
Oh yes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We are incredibly young. The fact that our offense looks as coherent as it does is actually pretty impressive.
It’s also impressive that we only committed 10 fouls the entire game. Mir and ONO had 8 of them. Westbrook had the other 2. One player on Villanova went to the line Tuesday, and split a pair of free throws. Keeping your opponent off the line also helps win games, especially close ones.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s also impressive that we only committed 10 fouls the entire game. Mir and ONO had 8 of them. Westbrook had the other 2. One player on Villanova went to the line Tuesday, and split a pair of free throws. Keeping your opponent off the line also helps win games, especially close ones.
Vigorous defense without fouling is a hallmark at UConn. It is good to see that tradition continuing. A lot of zone this year is a different look. No doubt it is in place to protect the freshman, particularly Paige.

Reaction Score
So I guess this has become a Mir thread.

To my amateur eyes, it appears that she is making progress in understanding where she is supposed to be on offense and defense. She clearly isn't used to setting screens, and when she tried to do it one time against Villanova, she used her elbow and got called for a foul. But at least she is trying to carry out the assignment that is called for in the offense.

There is probably a limited role for her against teams like South Carolina and Baylor, where mixing it up in the lane (and absorbing some fouls that would otherwise be charged to Olivia or Aaliyah) is necessary. If she sticks it out and learns the offense and defense (even if it happens slowly, as well Megan Walker and KML), then in future years that will be significantly more minutes available to her.
Vigorous defense without fouling is a hallmark at UConn. It is good to see that tradition continuing. A lot of zone this year is a different look. No doubt it is in place to protect the freshman, particularly Paige.
Speaking of Baylor (some folks brought that up), Aliyah getting hurt, and ONO prone to fouling, makes our remaining 6-5 player, now more important. Piath is indeed a presence, yet to demonstrate the skills she'll need if ONO and Edwards aren't able to answer the bell at a critical game moment. The Christmas break would be a good time to work on her offensive and defensive foot work, maybe staying after practice a few times, bodying up with some rugged volunteers and Jamelle.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Speaking of Baylor (some folks brought that up), Aliyah getting hurt, and ONO prone to fouling, makes our remaining 6-5 player, now more important. Piath is indeed a presence, yet to demonstrate the skills she'll need if ONO and Edwards aren't able to answer the bell at a critical game moment. The Christmas break would be a good time to work on her offensive and defensive foot work, maybe staying after practice a few times, bodying up with some rugged volunteers and Jamelle.

and Piath has shown some positive traits with good interior passing and more importantly the willingness to make those passes which for me demonstrates a fearlessness you can definitely build on.

Reaction Score
When they’re all in motion on D it’s a loud symphony. And then we run. Poor Kim.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
and Piath has shown some positive traits with good interior passing and more importantly the willingness to make those passes which for me demonstrates a fearlessness you can definitely build on.
She does seem to be making progress thankfully. I can't help but thinking that every time she plays it's hard for me to believe she is 6'5". she seems much shorter when playing. Maybe I need an eye exam.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She does seem to be making progress thankfully. I can't help but thinking that every time she plays it's hard for me to believe she is 6'5". she seems much shorter when playing. Maybe I need an eye exam.
I think it is her aspect ratio which tricks you. Compared to liv.

Reaction Score

If she was more consistent, she'd be playing more.

Reaction Score

The refs have missed some fouls against UConn. There was one where Maddie Siegrist was mugged, but nothing was called.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The refs have missed some fouls against UConn. There was one where Maddie Siegrist was mugged, but nothing was called.
I’m sure. Still, it is a core of our identity.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The refs aren't perfect. They will ALWAYS miss calls. I believe it was the Villanova game that they lost one of the refs after the 1st TV timeout in the 2nd quarter, and continued with only 2 referees. THAT may have been why they missed that call. I remember the play you're referring to. I agree, she did get mugged.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The refs aren't perfect. They will ALWAYS miss calls. It was reported that they lost one of the refs after the 1st TV timeout in the 2nd quarter, and continued with only 2 referees. THAT may have been why they missed that call. I remember the play you're referring to. I agree, she did get mugged.

That wasn't the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom