Something Worth Noting Regarding Possible UConn-ACC Deal | The Boneyard

Something Worth Noting Regarding Possible UConn-ACC Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Article basically says if UCONN were to move to the ACC, nothing with SNY would be affected.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seems to say more than that, that the contract could very well be an inducement to a new league.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The SNY deal should be a major consideration for the ACC.

Market shares have been bantered about lately, especially from Louisville in their attempt to replace Maryland. The Hartford/ New Haven tv market is considerable. Fairfield County is in the New York market and not figured in others. The SNY deal delivers Fairfield County plus. This should be a very attractive thing for the ACC. It does open the New York market to the ACC which is part of the BiG's reason for taking Rutgers.

But who knows what these presidents and AD's are really thinking!

Reaction Score
I'm not sure they're thinking; or rather, not sure the Big East counts for much in their process.

That is a mistake.

The ACC is not a good fit for the northern BE locale. Plus, the ACC is already too big.

I do wish someone would come up with a "moneyball" algorithm that can properly assess the merits of a UCONN-led Big East.

The herd mentality may be safe but it is not sound.

You heard it here first.

Reaction Score
Bigger is not better. Farther away is not closer. The northeast corridor has no affinity with Tobacco Road, the Piedmont, or the blue ridge; let alone Joe Jatek :)

UCONN can LEAD the BE.

Does anyone recall the phrase:

BEAST OF THE EAST

That is what a UCONN-led BE would allow.

It is better to go 11-1 or10-2 and an occasional 12-0 in football in the BE than it is to go 8-4, 7-5 in, what, a 16 team ACC year in and year out. Fans are not going to come to the Rense to see Clemson and they aren't traveling to Tally to see Fessu.

The herd is going in the wrong direction.

Stop, look, listen

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Bigger is not better. Farther away is not closer. The northeast corridor has no affinity with Tobacco Road, the Piedmont, or the blue ridge; let alone Joe Jatek :)

UCONN can LEAD the BE.

BEAST OF THE EAST

It is better to go 11-1 or10-2 and an occasional 12-0 in football in the BE than it is to go 8-4, 7-5 in, what, a 16 team ACC year in and year out. Fans are not going to come to the Rense to see Clemson and they aren't traveling to Tally to see Fessu.

Stop, look, listen

I do stop, look and listen. I do not think I am in a "herd"...we just differ...

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

UCONN can LEAD the BE.

BEAST OF THE EAST

Stop, look, listen

Your argument here is something that could have been used to promote staying in the Yankee Conference, rather than leaving for the Big East. FWIW, I support geography based conferences. I had no problem with our move to the Big East because the geography still made sense. Rivalries still could blossom and travel budgets and time need not get out of control.

Now the Big "East" no longer makes any kind of geographic sense; not in the slightest. There are burdens to budgets; there are burdens to students. To be quite frank I would prefer the good old days of the Yankee Conference, which would address your priorities perfectly by the way, than to continue with this geographic charade. Given a combination of you can't go back; UConn fans are now used to being a major program; and the ACC provides at least some measure of geographic sense let's get this over with and move to a new home.

Reaction Score
Bigger is not better. Farther away is not closer. The northeast corridor has no affinity with Tobacco Road, the Piedmont, or the blue ridge . . .

. Fans are not going to come to the Rense to see Clemson and they aren't traveling to Tally to see Fessu.

1. The new Big East will include Houston, SMU, Central Florida, Memphis, Boise State (football), and San Diego State (football). Will continue to have Marquette, DePaul, Louisville, Cinci, South Florida. Maybe the maps have changed since I last looked, but none of those 11 schools appear to be anywhere close to Storrs. In fact, they are all further away than most of the ACC schools.

With the ACC already having Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, and Notre Dame, if UConn joined it would be more like the true Big East than what will be left of the so-called Big East.

2. If fans won't turn out to see a football power like Clemson or travel to see a team like Florida State, then they certainly won't turn out for SMU, Houston, Central Florida, Memphis, etal.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
1. The new Big East will include Houston, SMU, Central Florida, Memphis, Boise State (football), and San Diego State (football). Will continue to have Marquette, DePaul, Louisville, Cinci, South Florida. Maybe the maps have changed since I last looked, but none of those 11 schools appear to be anywhere close to Storrs. In fact, they are all further away than most of the ACC schools.

With the ACC already having Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, and Notre Dame, if UConn joined it would be more like the true Big East than what will be left of the so-called Big East.

2. If fans won't turn out to see a football power like Clemson or travel to see a team like Florida State, then they certainly won't turn out for SMU, Houston, Central Florida, Memphis, etal.

This is most certainly true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits