Something very bad must have happened to make ND move... | The Boneyard

Something very bad must have happened to make ND move...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and schedule 5 guaranteed games vs. the ACC. They had NBC ready to consolidate all of their games onto the network they already have a contract with. They had bowl tie ins and never had to play one snap against BE teams.

Then they leave. It was a rumor yesterday and now it's true. The BE is now CUSA.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don't understand why the removal of a non-football team from the Big East now makes the Big East football into Conference USA (not saying it wasn't before but this move certainly doesn't change it)? What this seems to do is close the potential escape hatch to the ACC for UConn and hurt the basketball product of the Big East.

It sucks still. I'm glad I'm leaving the country because this whole expansion / conference realignment crap will no longer be so close by.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how this impacts football either. Or for that matter why it does all that much for basketball, either. This is a program that was at best a middle of the road basketball program. In fact they are the definition of a middle-of-the road baskeball program...Last time they got to the Sweet 16 was 2003. Before that, 1987. Last Elite 8 was 1979. They are essentially something to keep the boys off the street until football season rolls around in South Bend. Not sure how that hurts Big East basketball all that much. this is a move that needed to happen 5 years ago, but like everything Big East, it is too little too late.

Reaction Score
ACC = better olympic sports league, better bowl tie-ins, schools NDU wishes to associate itself with. Simple as that. Would be pissed if I was a catholic school.

Reaction Score
F 'em. I guess between BC, Wake, Pitt, Cuse and another team it's pretty easy for ND to get 5 easy wins in the ACC with teams they have quasi long standing rivalries with. This arrangement all but guarantees bowl eligibility every year, and they couldn't have had that in any other conference. Adding ND only further heightens the disconnect between the ACC's ability on the field and their perceived quality

Reaction Score
The BE football schools had a slim chance in 2004 to go off on their own and consolidate (with WV, Cuse, Pitt still in league) but ND voted with the Catholic schools and made it very difficult to split.

That was a key point in the downfall of the BE.

The 8 schools could have added one more school to go to 9 and signed a decent contract that kept the league together for many years. But the unwieldy size and multiple allegiances split the league. If the BE had 8 or 9 members, they might have even pounced on Kansas and KSt. back when the B12 looked kaput instead of having voted down the proposition. Like I said, this was a slim chance, but recently we were just talking about CUSA 2.0 getting $15m per team a year from NBC. I guarantee you that the NBE with WV, Pitt and Cuse would have been worth AT LEAST that much. It would have been enough money to keep the league together.

Reaction Score
The BE football schools had a slim chance in 2004 to go off on their own and consolidate (with WV, Cuse, Pitt still in league) but ND voted with the Catholic schools and made it very difficult to split.

That was a key point in the downfall of the BE.

The 8 schools could have added one more school to go to 9 and signed a decent contract that kept the league together for many years. But the unwieldy size and multiple allegiances split the league. If the BE had 8 or 9 members, they might have even pounced on Kansas and KSt. back when the B12 looked kaput instead of having voted down the proposition. Like I said, this was a slim chance, but recently we were just talking about CUSA 2.0 getting $15m per team a year from NBC. I guarantee you that the NBE with WV, Pitt and Cuse would have been worth AT LEAST that much. It would have been enough money to keep the league together.
that is an excellent analysis. I would add that the lack of leadership in theis conference has been unbelivable over the years. Not just leadership from the commissioner but from the presidents and athletic directors as well.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
F 'em. I guess between BC, Wake, Pitt, Cuse and another team it's pretty easy for ND to get 5 easy wins in the ACC with teams they have quasi long standing rivalries with. This arrangement all but guarantees bowl eligibility every year, and they couldn't have had that in any other conference. Adding ND only further heightens the disconnect between the ACC's ability on the field and their perceived quality

...and that's the part that sucks. They are going to schedule guaranteed games with teams that they refused to guarantee games in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Something bad did happen.

They woke up and realized they were in a basketball conference with SMU, Houston, UCF, USF, Memphis and Temple.
I know the move was a no brainer for ND but Memphis and Temple have been better than ND in hoops for the past 25 years havent they?

Reaction Score
and schedule 5 guaranteed games vs. the ACC. They had NBC ready to consolidate all of their games onto the network they already have a contract with. They had bowl tie ins and never had to play one snap against BE teams.

Then they leave. It was a rumor yesterday and now it's true. The BE is now CUSA.
But ND still keeps the BE bowl tie-ins, right? BCU West. Another backstabber.

Reaction Score
ND was forced to act now by the BE media deal and lack of BE bowl tie-ins. ND may have had to sign a GORs to remain in the BE and I don't think any of the football schools were excited about losing out on bowls to ND. Time for both sides to move on.

pj

Reaction Score
With 14-16 teams in the league and the number of bowls possibly shrinking, it's hard to give up bowl slots.

It is disappointing that we couldn't form an NBC-ND-NBE alliance, but that's the way it goes. Still a chance for an NBC-NBE alliance that gives us a chance to be competitive on the field, which is what I care about.

Anyway in 10-15 years all these conference alignments are going to reshuffle again, the current set up is not natural. We have to set ourselves up to be a top candidate when that occurs.

Reaction Score
With 14-16 teams in the league and the number of bowls possibly shrinking, it's hard to give up bowl slots.

It is disappointing that we couldn't form an NBC-ND-NBE alliance, but that's the way it goes. Still a chance for an NBC-NBE alliance that gives us a chance to be competitive on the field, which is what I care about.

Anyway in 10-15 years all these conference alignments are going to reshuffle again, the current set up is not natural. We have to set ourselves up to be a top candidate when that occurs.

Totally agree.

Reaction Score
Something bad did happen to cause this, but it wasn't something in the NBE. The ACC essentially was in the same position as the old Big East, getting pounded in the media and smoke-filled backrooms of NCAA conventions with a reputation for being below the other major conferences in football. They needed to do something to prop that up. They can now imply that ND will ultimately join in football; negotiate future bowl tie-ins with the type of "or Notre Dame" provisions the BE did; and add ND to their TV schedule in other sports (which will give an indirect impression that ND's football popularity is tied to the ACC). I'm quite sure that if the ACC was doing well in FB and PR they wouldn't have caved in to ND's "only on my terms" model.

Reaction Score
I know the move was a no brainer for ND but Memphis and Temple have been better than ND in hoops for the past 25 years havent they?

Temple has been rather nondescript for years(there are a dozen non BCS BB programs in the east/MW just as good a brand)...Memphis is very good but realistically the ND brand trumps despite Memphis having some run under Calipari. Their current coach may or may not get it done going forward.

ND leaving hurts perception the most and kills the BE leverage in getting better bowls.

UConn needs to get the last ticket...I think they have a great shot. The ACC really needs one more NE school in the ACC...UConn>>>>Rutgirls

Reaction Score
Temple has been rather nondescript for years(there are a dozen non BCS BB programs in the east/MW just as good a brand)...Memphis is very good but realistically the ND brand trumps despite Memphis having some run under Calipari. Their current coach may or may not get it done going forward.

ND leaving hurts perception the most and kills the BE leverage in getting better bowls.

UConn needs to get the last ticket...I think they have a great shot. The ACC really needs one more NE school in the ACC...UConn>>>>Rutgirls

Unfortunately, I think this thing goes quiet for quite a while. Unless FL State or Clemson are getting ready to take a powder before the the ink dries on the new exit fee, I think the ACC is holding pat.

Very disappointing the college athletics is ignoring the importance of regional ties to basketball schools like Syracuse and UCONN, and what was developing on the football side as well.

Short-term money at the expense of something more lasting imo. Frankly, it just sucks.

Reaction Score
I'm actually pleased about this. I can unabashedly root against ND in everything like I want to. They're a loss to the conference in women's basketball. Men's, not so much.

Reaction Score
that is an excellent analysis. I would add that the lack of leadership in theis conference has been unbelivable over the years. Not just leadership from the commissioner but from the presidents and athletic directors as well.
don't forget Edsell is a ...

Reaction Score

That is a GREAT avatar Mark :D

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think this thing goes quiet for quite a while. Unless FL State or Clemson are getting ready to take a powder before the the ink dries on the new exit fee, I think the ACC is holding pat.

Very disappointing the college athletics is ignoring the importance of regional ties to basketball schools like Syracuse and UCONN, and what was developing on the football side as well.

Short-term money at the expense of something more lasting imo. Frankly, it just sucks.

I disagree that it goes quiet for "quite awhile". The same thing was said a few months back after FSU and Clemson didn't move after all the chatter. Then out of the blue this happens after only a day or two of chatter. Don't worry, come mid to end of October some other bombshell will come that shakes up some conference, probably the Big East. While I was jumping off the ledge on Wednesday, I'm back off of it and realize that UConn will get their due and end up somewhere better than the current set-up. I also feel this will happen sooner than later.

I just wish this crap would wait until after March so we could all enjoy our college football and basketball season without having other outside distractions. Re-alignment is a fun guessing game but it takes away so much of the enjoyment of the CFB season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom