Something To Watch: The Future | The Boneyard

Something To Watch: The Future

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I don't think it was necessary to tell us about KIK and her future with UConn. We all knew this, but I take issue with this nobody blaming the Ohio State meltdown all on Nika. This guy truely did not watch the game, and probably doesn't know much about WBB.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was necessary to tell us about KIK and her future with UConn. We all knew this, but I take issue with this nobody blaming the Ohio State meltdown all on Nika. This guy truely did not watch the game, and probably doesn't know much about WBB.
I agree. If the team had only turned the ball over in the backcourt UCONN would have had a third of the TOs they had in that game. They lost that game because they couldn't make a bucket when it mattered and didn't attack when they did break the press. If you don't make easy buckets against the press you gave the other team no reason to back off of it. But to blame Nika? Nope.

Reaction Score
You can be a real fan if you don't face reality and the reality is as good as Nika is defensively she does commit a lot of turnovers and if you're not making shots and turning the ball over then the Ohio states of the world will beat you. That said I love Nika her game is defense and passing KK's game is passing drawing fouls and defense they will both contribute to the team this year.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
You can be a real fan if you don't face reality and the reality is as good as Nika is defensively she does commit a lot of turnovers and if you're not making shots and turning the ball over then the Ohio states of the world will beat you. That said I love Nika her game is defense and passing KK's game is passing drawing fouls and defense they will both contribute to the team this year.
Good Lord, how does this myth keep promulgating on a Uconn fan base?

Bird A/T ratio junior year = 1.9
Clark A/T ratio junior year = 2.06
Muhl A/T ratio junior year = 2.3

For further perspective, Bueckers A/T ratio for her career to date is also around 2.3.

For more perspective, Fudd’s and Ducharme’s A/T ratios aren’t even in the same league as the four above players.

Muhl is good at passing, defense AND making decisions that limit mistakes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hey, Nika's my girl; the EverReady bunny. It's summer, it's slow, this was a new video, I said what the heck.

Reaction Score

For further perspective, Bueckers A/T ratio for her career to date is also around 2.3.

For more perspective, Fudd’s and Ducharme’s A/T ratios aren’t even in the same league as the four above players.

of those players listed who turns the over the most? or who has a higher turnover rate?..don't drink the kool-aid so much that you can face real facts. It's not about disparaging Nika it's having an honest assessment of her game..Same with Paige a great player when she's healthy and so far in her career she's been injury prone so has Ducharme and Azzi..But I would still take them over Clark, Van Lith, or Reese

Reaction Score

Stop it… why does anyone need stats and facts

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
of those players listed who turns the over the most? or who has a higher turnover rate?..don't drink the kool-aid so much that you can face real facts. It's not about disparaging Nika it's having an honest assessment of her game..Same with Paige a great player when she's healthy and so far in her career she's been injury prone so has Ducharme and Azzi..But I would still take them over Clark, Van Lith, or Reese
Lol. I am presenting real facts. The facts you presented were …. none. You provided nothing for the reader to support your assertion. Nothing. You are counting on a “because I said so” defense.

People who handle the ball more are going to have more turnovers. That’s simple logic. They will also have more assists, also simple logic. The ratio of the two determines how efficient they are, how many mistakes they make, how good their decisions or execution is. Once again, simple logic. Compared to other players handling the ball often, players considered to be elite, Muhl compares favorably. She had a couple fewer assists than Clark last year, but she had much fewer turnovers.

By turnover rate I assume you mean per 40 minutes? Obviously, by simple logic again, Muhl’s will be higher than those who handle point duties less. So in the OSU game Muhl had 7 turnovers, Fudd only 4. But Muhl had 5 assists, Fudd only 1. Muhl has a higher rate per 40, but Fudd has a higher rate for how much they handle the ball. Which one should you trust more with handling the point with better decisions and fewer mistakes? Which one really turns the ball over more per handling? The guard with a 5/7 ratio, or the one with 1/4?

Fwiw, Clark also had 7 turnovers in a game against OSU, in fewer minutes. Both her turnover rate per 40 and for the amount she handles the ball was higher than Muhl’s. Based on your concern that would indict Clark. But Clark also had 15 assists that game. I would say she had the better game against a common foe, even apart from her scoring and despite her higher turnover rate than Muhl.

Drink the kool-aid? I claimed Muhl is good at passing, defense and making decisions in executing an offense. Since you already agree with two of those you must think I am drinking the kool-aid in claiming she makes good decisions. Please present some evidence besides ”I said so” to support that assertion.

sun

Reaction Score
Daily's comments made it clear that KK is viewed as being more than just a PG but also as a well rounded guard.
She has some of the qualities that UConn has been missing since Christine Williams graduated.
When a guard has speed & quickness combined with scoring ability then she'll be rewarded with PT independent of how well that Nika, Carol & other guards can play.
She knows how to get enough separation to make shots.
Since no one knows if both Paige & Nika will be back next year, KK will be fast tracked because she is the future and maybe an important part of the present too since she's at least the 3rd best ball handler on the team.
She'll be able to help UConn dribble out of pressure situations & draw defensive attention away from other guards by attacking the lane.
KK knows how to dish the ball & I'll bet that she'll quickly learn how to complement Paige & Azzi & whoever else is playing.
They'll also be looking to dish the ball to KK because she's a Speedy Gonzales.
Every time that she does something right she'll earn more brownie points & Geno's trust.

71wRDvtAJLL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Eventually KK will get playing time, maybe alot. Starting, no way. This is high level WBB, not High School. Nika has the big game experience, and also knows the UConn players and their tendences. Caroline, Aaliyah, Paige, Azzi, all know what Nika will do, and vice versa. Nika knows where they like to shoot, where they are going when they are on the move, and where every player has to be on the fast break. Just being a very good High School shooter, passer, and mentally aware of their surroundings are not enough. Experience will move the team forward, so for now, KK will have to take a back seat and watch. Her time will come, but for now, if we want a NC, then Nika must be the head of the snake and get us there.

Reaction Score
Eventually KK will get playing time, maybe alot. Starting, no way. This is high level WBB, not High School. Nika has the big game experience, and also knows the UConn players and their tendences. Caroline, Aaliyah, Paige, Azzi, all know what Nika will do, and vice versa. Nika knows where they like to shoot, where they are going when they are on the move, and where every player has to be on the fast break. Just being a very good High School shooter, passer, and mentally aware of their surroundings are not enough. Experience will move the team forward, so for now, KK will have to take a back seat and watch. Her time will come, but for now, if we want a NC, then Nika must be the head of the snake and get us there.
You see the point guard position in much the same way I do, the PG is the QB of the team. A really great PG knows all the other player’s tendencies and makes sure to distribute the ball to that player in the right spot. Difficult for a first year player to be a great PG because it takes time and playing together to learn the strength and weaknesses of teammates. From what I have observed Nika is that player for UConn, Paige can fill that role but she is most valuable to the team getting to her spot, for Paige she appears to have a number of spots. Paige is to valuable as a scorer to be a PG, she needs to be the one receiving the ball rather than distributing the ball.

sun

Reaction Score
There's some things that only KK can do that even Paige can't do.
I think that Paige & KK can make an awesome duo, & maybe an even awesome trio with Azzi at times.
This is purely based on KK's ability as a guard.
She has a lot of tools in her toolbox & shows enough confidence to know how to use them.
She only needs to get the nod from Geno & into the game she goes.
It shouldn't be a mystery that fans are anticipating watching her play & then Geno will get credit for recruiting her.
If KK can make Geno happy & the fans happy then KK will get more PT & maybe even beat out some upper classmen for PT when March rolls around.
She can be electric & energizing.
Being a freshmen will have no relation to how much Geno may eventually choose to deploy her.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Look at it this way.
In the NCAAT, what will be more important to Geno, pressing the other team or breaking the other team's press?
If KK can be used to effectively break a press, then Geno won't have any doubts about using her for that purpose.
And if she can attack the lane better than anyone else on the team then she'll also become a valuable weapon.
It depends on the circumstances but a larger roster allows for skilled specialization.
There's no doubt that she'll get the chance to prove it over & over during the season.
It's only a matter of time.
If Paige or Nika ever miss a game or PT then KK can end up becoming a savior & a saint.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You see the point guard position in much the same way I do, the PG is the QB of the team. A really great PG knows all the other player’s tendencies and makes sure to distribute the ball to that player in the right spot. Difficult for a first year player to be a great PG because it takes time and playing together to learn the strength and weaknesses of teammates. From what I have observed Nika is that player for UConn, Paige can fill that role but she is most valuable to the team getting to her spot, for Paige she appears to have a number of spots. Paige is to valuable as a scorer to be a PG, she needs to be the one receiving the ball rather than distributing the ball.

Are pg's not allowed to score?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom