Something to note from last night. | The Boneyard

Something to note from last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
MD was by far the tallest team we have matched up with this year. DeVaughn, Howard, and Thomas gave MD tremendous size across the front.

Reaction Score
The Stanford front court will also be a challenge, ranging from 6'2" to 6'3" or so. Probably, as a group, they are not as physical as Maryland though.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thomas 6'2", DeVaughn 6'4", Howard 6'4", Hawkins 6'3", Pfirman 6'2"

DNP Townsend 6'7"

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
When those guards come back next year Maryland should give Duke a real run for the ACC title [presumably the Terps last
year in the conference]. Our game down there as well should be a barnburner. Say...Milfordhusky....you have a moral obligation to be courtside in that one.

BTW: I see that the ACC is filing a lawsuit against Md for the 50 million exit fee....Md doesn't want to pay [they and FSU voted against such a large fee but were outvoted].
What happens to the move to the Big 10 if the lawsuit still is ongoing come 2014-2015?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Interesting that St. Joe's was able to beat a much bigger Maryland's squad with a three guard lineup and two forwards that go 6'3" and 6'0". (These forwards played 38 and 39 mins in that win.) Not that they won the battle of the boards (they got killed on the boards) but they won the game.

Reaction Score
When those guards come back next year Maryland should give Duke a real run for the ACC title [presumably the Terps last
year in the conference]. Our game down there as well should be a barnburner. Say...Milfordhusky....you have a moral obligation to be courtside in that one.

BTW: I see that the ACC is filing a lawsuit against Md for the 50 million exit fee....Md doesn't want to pay [they and FSU voted against such a large fee but were outvoted].
What happens to the move to the Big 10 if the lawsuit still is ongoing come 2014-2015?
It will get settled. Nothing will stop Maryland from going to the B1G. The payout is too big.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I'll look up the date. If I'm in town, I'll certainly try to get there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I haven't read very many posts on the game, but here are my thoughts:

Maryland played better defense than I expected. Their length was disruptive in the passing lanes and underneath.

Maryland played hard the whole game. I think the TV exposure and Jimmy V connection may have helped in that regard.

Our offensive game was about a C+. We missed some makeable shots and put up a lot of bricks. We missed Kaleena.

I like Caroline starting. She gives us stability. When she comes off the bench, she does not add offensive punch. Kaleena would.

Bria's shot looked very, very flat. I thought she had a so-so game.

Kelly was All-World. She played 34 minutes like she played in the national semifinal last year. A wrecking crew.

Breanna didn't shoot great but is clearly an impact player.

Brianna was very good again. Our best guard last night, in my view, especially when points were scarce.

Kaleena was all over the court and showed a vast offensive repertoire in just 13 minutes.

Stef battled effectively against other good and physical players.

Reaction Score
I agree with all your observations, Milford. We didn't have a great shooting night...kudos to the MD defense...and they had the size, strength and conditioning to defend the paint. Last year, we could've dropped a game like this. This year, we can survive a bad shooting night and a very tough adversary. I actually think the way we responded bodes well for us against Baylor and Stanford...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bria plays better out of the 2 Geno said that several times last year. It may be that the time is best split between Bria and Kaleena and Brianna at the 2 and Caroline and Bria at the point. I think trying to run the point took Bria out of her game which is not helpful. Bria made several horrid passes last night attempting to force things and didn't many quality ones. I think that Kelly and Kaleena, also, divide the time up at the 3.

Reaction Score
Bria plays better out of the 2 Geno said that several times last year. It may be that the time is best split between Bria and Kaleena and Brianna at the 2 and Caroline and Bria at the point. I think trying to run the point took Bria out of her game which is not helpful. Bria made several horrid passes last night attempting to force things and didn't many quality ones. I think that Kelly and Kaleena, also, divide the time up at the 3.

Spot on, Ice...and a big reason Kaleena's decision to play Faris-ball looks so so good!

Reaction Score

Maryland played better defense than I expected. Their length was disruptive in the passing lanes and underneath.

Maryland played hard the whole game. I think the TV exposure and Jimmy V connection may have helped in that regard.

Our offensive game was about a C+. We missed some makeable shots and put up a lot of bricks. We missed Kaleena.

I like Caroline starting. She gives us stability. When she comes off the bench, she does not add offensive punch. Kaleena would.

Kelly was All-World. She played 34 minutes like she played in the national semifinal last year. A wrecking crew.

Brianna was very good again. Our best guard last night, in my view, especially when points were scarce.

Kaleena was all over the court and showed a vast offensive repertoire in just 13 minutes.

Kelly and Stef were the two best players on the court. They took everything MD could throw at them. Md bounced us all night. Don'y think Stef could have handled that kind of game last year. She is going to be an AA. And Kelly is just Kelly, the toughest kid I've seen in years. Going down low to guard much bigger and stronger players and still getting the best of them. Could be a great year if the freshman develop. Also thought we really missed Kaleena's offense.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As someone who has been especially critical of Kiah on this board, let me say that I think she played with full effort and hustle last night. I'm actually surprised that she didn't get more minutes, although it was apparent that her shot was being affected by the Maryland pressure. That is the sort of problem that can only be overcome by dealing with it constantly, i.e., by more minutes. Probably the major difficulty was the Stef was playing so well.

I would give Bria a pass on last night. As CD said in the radio postgame, she is going through her pre-season now, and her timing and instincts aren't quite there yet. We know enough about her to know that she will gain consistency and make fewer bad decisions as she plays more.

I agree with everyone's comments about Brianna -- hitting those two late 3's when the game was on the line would be outstanding even if it were KML or Bria who did it, but for Brianna to do it is amazing. I am beginning to think the she and KML will set the standard for effort and all-around play after Kelly graduates.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I would give Bria a pass on last night. As CD said in the radio postgame, she is going through her pre-season now, and her timing and instincts aren't quite there yet. We know enough about her to know that she will gain consistency and make fewer bad decisions as she plays more.

Good point on Bria. As I watched the game last night, it was apparent to me that Bria isn't there yet. She seems to be moving okay, but her timing is off and, as Milford posted above, her shot is flat.

CD praised the defense, Kelly's game and Brianna playing aggressively. CD said she's not quite ready for the coronation of Breanna Stewart. She said Breanna will be a great player but she needs to learn so much, including how to play against opponents that are physical (like Maryland) because UConn is going to see a lot of that down the road.

CD also said that she thought Breanna should have been in the lane a little more on offense. She wasn't sure if it was because of the stuff the team was running or whether it was the physical play. I agree, but in looking back I'm not sure of the reason. I'm sure the coaches will address it.

Reaction Score

I think Bria looks out of her game because she's not quit sure where she fits. Geno's using a much bigger rotation, and the team has played a few games without her. Her shot was also clearly flat, and I have to think a majority of her off game was because she's just not in rhythm yet.

Bria ran the offense fine. And despite what a few broadcasters say..she makes the right passes. (She also forces things, which is where the turnovers come from, but I didn't see a lot of that last night. In fact, I thought Bria was very passive) And is a good point guard. She'll be a point guard in the WNBA. But she's best when she's used as combo guard. Having Carolyn on the floor allows Bria to make plays for others that Doty can't make, but it also gives her the freedom to do what she's best at, which is scoring and defending.

I can see starting Doty, Bria, Kelly, Stewart, and Dolson. The problem there is that I'm not sure Moriah is ready to play the backup PG spot against good teams. But then again, the Guard rotation could be Doty, Banks, and Hartley with KML splitting time between the 2 and the 3. (And perhaps Kelly splitting time between the 2, 3, and 4.)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I agree with everyone's comments about Brianna -- hitting those two late 3's when the game was on the line would be outstanding even if it were KML or Bria who did it, but for Brianna to do it is amazing. I am beginning to think the she and KML will set the standard for effort and all-around play after Kelly graduates.

I was thinking this very same thing today. When Kelly leaves, she is going to leave one giant hole, and Brianna and Kaleena are my chosen ones to fill the space, hard though it may be.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I, too agree with Mil. I was very surprised at MD's aggressiveness on defense, and that they had the energy to carry this through for the entire game. they did not give up which is admirable (yes I know this is MD we are discussing). Also, I think that Stef got just plain beat up in the post last night and despite that still played so very well. we missed a lot of shots we normally do not, but we got the win and I think it an important win despite the injuries to MD.

And I especially agree with the point of Caroline starting. Someone else needs to come off the bench - who, I couldn't say at this point.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When a poster in the game thread complained about Stef's effort I was in complete shock. She was the warrior she has been all year.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
When a poster in the game thread complained about Stef's effort I was in complete shock. She was the warrior she has been all year.

Folks are looking at the missed shots and not at the effort. Sad.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Folks are looking at the missed shots and not at the effort. Sad.
A lot of those missed shots were from contact and being off balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom