Someone please list a 4 guard lineup that won championship! | The Boneyard

Someone please list a 4 guard lineup that won championship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't recall any!

Wasn't this exact same question posed in another thread within the past week or so? Was it you that asked the question in that thread?

Both UConn and ND go with 4-guard lineups so they have no chance. It's settled: Baylor wins.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't exactly recall the starting lineup for the 2003 and 2004 teams, but as I recall it was Conlon / Taurasi / Strother / Turner / Jess Moore. You can say that Ann and Barbara were forwards, but they certainly played a lot on the perimeter. Barbara was only 5-10 but was an effective rebounder and defender (very much like Kelly Faris).

Reaction Score

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Purdue is very similar in 1999 with Figgs, White-McCarty, Douglas, Duhart and Cooper.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And how is that relevant ? if a poster has a question they can certainly ask a pointed question more than once, can they not ? if one is of the feeling to disagree that is fine but one should not purposefully attempt to quash the question from being discussed would one not think so ?

I'm not saying the question can not be asked twice, thrice or 100 times. I just wanted to avoid my responding to it more than once by incorporating my response from the earlier thread in to this thread. I asked whether this particular poster asked the question the first time only to aid in my search for the first thread. I was able to find it anyway. That's all.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geez, not long ago there was a thread that a team without a dominant center couldn't win the championship.

We're dooooomed!

Reaction Score
And how is that relevant ? if a poster has a question they can certainly ask a pointed question more than once, can they not ? if one is of the feeling to disagree that is fine but one should not purposefully attempt to quash the question from being discussed would one not think so ?
Some folks are self-appointed censors and board administrators.

Reaction Score
I don't recall any!
UCONN has a better chance of winning the NC if it is ranked #1.
Since the women's tournament began in 1982, 13 teams have entered the tournament ranked #1 in at least 1 poll and gone on to win the tournament:
  • 1982: Louisiana Tech
  • 1983: USC
  • 1986: Texas
  • 1988: Tennessee
  • 1989: Tennessee
  • 1995: Connecticut
  • 1998: Tennessee
  • 1999: Purdue
  • 2000: Connecticut
  • 2002: Connecticut
  • 2003: Connecticut
  • 2009: Connecticut
  • 2010: Connecticut

Frank

Roundabout
Reaction Score
Cafe Poliziano

Cafe Poliziano and Magic, sorry you were not informed...Section 4, Artical three, segment 1A...On this board you are not allowed to suggestion Geno is making coaching mistakes or Challange Doty's play or her playing time...e.g. playing four guards...shame on you as John A. would say go to your corner.... But I could not agree with with you more. For whatever reason Geno is intent much like he was in the NC last year to live and die by playing is "nominated players", not giving the NC the best shot by giving experience to players that could be better long term prospects. Yeah we beat up on the easy teams, but look at the trend...Look at all the big games that Doty has played in Since Nat'l Championship 2010....Final Four, Baylor, Stanford, ND (exclude T A&M). When do we give the rest of the team a chance? Imagine if he actually started KLM, Hartly, Ferris, Stokes and Dolson. Go back and watch the ND game midway through the second half. When that line up was in, they were playing like the old days, having fun, being creative, moving the ball. Then Geno came to his senses and got Stokes out of there and put in Dolson, and then Doty and Hayes came back in....and ooops there goes the lead.......Oh did you notice Geno Yelling at everybody like KLM leading scorer and Hartly could not even say good job to after lighting up ND. No was too buys smiling at Doty and telling her good job for punching the ball out of the defenseless ND player hand well after the whistle blew with about 1:30 left or saying better try next time when she missed that layup at the end of regulation. Sorry Magic...this year you need to sit back and just accept that we are going to win or loose with the name starting five no matter what......BTW did you notice who was on the flow at the end of over time.....hum why are your starters not on the floor?

Anyway, Magic, had to say it even though the moderators are going to burn me at the stake.....

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If you are going to rant the least you could do is learn to spell the players' names correctly.

Reaction Score
Yeah, so what if I asked the question? I didn't get any responses. Besides, Strother and Turner did not play soley on the perimeter, which from a basketball sense is what I am getting at. That team rebounded. This team is designed to pass the ball around the perimeter or to hit a cutting player. Look at husky stats. They are getting no points in the paint. The weakness of Irish is the "paint". Apparently BRUINBALL came up with 1999 purdue, which I will research. Perhaps I stand corrected that there may be one team in the history of basketball. All I'm saying is there is a reason why championship teams aren't made up like this.

Reaction Score
If you are going to rant the least you could do is learn to spell the players' names correctly.
Thank you. Now they can burn us both at the stake!

Reaction Score
He's got to play his best players, that's it.
Last year I started a post on "Where are the Forwards?".
Most responses indicated "no worries" but there seems to be lots of concerns now.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
He's got to play his best players, that's it.
Last year I started a post on "Where are the Forwards?".
Most responses indicated "no worries" but there seems to be lots of concerns now.

I think Geno has gone with 4 guards because that puts the team's 5 best players on the court. I think Muffet said something along the same lines when she talked about going with the 4-guard lineup at BE media day. But Geno told Rebecca Lobo (which she repeated during the Stanford game) that the key to the season (presumably against certain teams) could very well be the development of Kiah Stokes' ability to play the power forward with Stef at center. Interestingly, ND briefly abandoned the 4-guard lineup on Saturday and actually started Achonwa over McBride. But McBride was back in the starting lineup to start the 2nd half. It'll be interesting to see how this story line develops during the season and in to the tournament.

BTW, here's a quote from Muffet earlier this year:

Notre Dame head coach Muffet McGraw likes the way Achonwa and Peters,
who scored 10 points and grabbed nine rebounds against Creighton,
worked together.

“It’s huge,” McGraw said. “We’re a perimeter-oriented team at times,
starting the four guards. It’s nice to be able to go with a team that
has two bigs and have them play so well together. We can change our
style. That’s another good thing about this team. They can adapt to
different styles.

We'll see if UConn is able to play two bigs effectively this year.

Reaction Score
Purdue is very similar in 1999 with Figgs, White-McCarty, Douglas, Duhart and Cooper.
DOUGLAS- 6'1 G/F, WHITE-McCARTHY-5-11 G/F, FIGGS-5-11 G, DUHART -6'0F, COOPER 6-4 C. I don't recall Cooper playing at the top of the key, though.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
She didn't have to. Her passing skills were not equal to that of Dolson and her outside shooting was not great - only shot 50% FT. What she did well was defend the paint and rebound. She had 5 assists the year they won the NC - that's for the ENTIRE YEAR! She wasn't passing the ball to anyone.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Cooper is a blast from the past. Had a brief stint with the Liberty in the W I think. I don't think she was a prototypical center, very mobile if I am remembering correctly.

But to the other point - I can only tell you the mantra of many coaches - in March, "Guards Rule".

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Knight: Camille was quick and mobile for a girl her size. She also scored very well around the rim.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I liked the Kiah Stef combo. Kiah has just recently been getting more minutes. Hopefully that will continue, however imo thats not why we lost. We have lost twice in a row to ND on the road and imo the reason is UConn dosnt foul but in ND games on the road there are alot of fouls called on UConn and in this game 26 turnovers????? My question is why is UConn called for so many fouls againest and only againest ND on the road???? You can call it a complaint but it is an observation backed by the replay

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Cafe Poliziano and Magic, sorry you were not informed...Section 4, Artical three, segment 1A...On this board you are not allowed to suggestion Geno is making coaching mistakes or Challange Doty's play or her playing time...
It's always interesting when people say that they "can't" say certain things. Obviously they can. What they really mean to say is that they don't want other people to disagree with them.

Reaction Score
Cafe Poliziano

Cafe Poliziano and Magic, sorry you were not informed...Section 4, Artical three, segment 1A...On this board you are not allowed to suggestion Geno is making coaching mistakes or Challange Doty's play or her playing time...e.g. playing four guards...shame on you as John A. would say go to your corner.... But I could not agree with with you more. For whatever reason Geno is intent much like he was in the NC last year to live and die by playing is "nominated players", not giving the NC the best shot by giving experience to players that could be better long term prospects. Yeah we beat up on the easy teams, but look at the trend...Look at all the big games that Doty has played in Since Nat'l Championship 2010....Final Four, Baylor, Stanford, ND (exclude T A&M). When do we give the rest of the team a chance? Imagine if he actually started KLM, Hartly, Ferris, Stokes and Dolson. Go back and watch the ND game midway through the second half. When that line up was in, they were playing like the old days, having fun, being creative, moving the ball. Then Geno came to his senses and got Stokes out of there and put in Dolson, and then Doty and Hayes came back in....and ooops there goes the lead.......Oh did you notice Geno Yelling at everybody like KLM leading scorer and Hartly could not even say good job to after lighting up ND. No was too buys smiling at Doty and telling her good job for punching the ball out of the defenseless ND player hand well after the whistle blew with about 1:30 left or saying better try next time when she missed that layup at the end of regulation. Sorry Magic...this year you need to sit back and just accept that we are going to win or loose with the name starting five no matter what......BTW did you notice who was on the flow at the end of over time.....hum why are your starters not on the floor?

Anyway, Magic, had to say it even though the moderators are going to burn me at the stake.....

It is starting to be a forest through the trees sort of deal, I always thought the reason you play the game is to win it, and that means you sit the players who are not getting done for those that are getting it done regardless of if they are freshman or not. I become wary of watching ugly ball being played when there is an alternative.

Reaction Score
It's always interesting when people say that they "can't" say certain things. Obviously they can. What they really mean to say is that they don't want other people to disagree with them.

I believe it was an example sarcasm and gentle teasing aimed at some board members who take umbrage with those that disagree with the coaches methods, not so much the not wanting others to disagree with them thing...

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It is starting to be a forest through the trees sort of deal, I always thought the reason you play the game is to win it, and that means you sit the players who are not getting done for those that are getting it done regardless of if they are freshman or not. I become wary of watching ugly ball being played when there is an alternative.
yup. old movie reruns on AMC. Some of 'em are pretty good, some ya gotta be "weary" off..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom