Someone Please Explain This | The Boneyard

Someone Please Explain This

Reaction Score
Marquette barely beats Xavier, Creighton, DePaul and St. John’s as of late and we THRASH them. They are still 6 and we are at 11? This system for ranking and seeding (and there really isn’t one) is a total joke.

Reaction Score
They just went 17-3 and won the Big East. There's lots to complain about about our ranking and seeds, but Marquette is a really good team
Not saying they aren’t good but look at how close some of their wins against the dregs of our league were. They barely squeaked by and then we pretty much dominated them quite recently. Yes, we were at home for that but I just don’t see them as #6 in the country. I‘ve been wrong before plenty but that’s my take.

Reaction Score
Our biggest problem is that we lost so many in a tight window. We fell from 2 to 23 quickly. Spread out those losses and we would be ranked higher.
We lost to Marquette, Seton Hall and Xavier close, but had a couple bad ones in with those and we fell off a cliff rankings wise. Their close wins against mediocrity had no negative effect.

caw

Reaction Score
Marquette barely beats Xavier, Creighton, DePaul and St. John’s as of late and we THRASH them. They are still 6 and we are at 11? This system for ranking and seeding (and there really isn’t one) is a total joke.

They still won those games, and we all know close games are the mark of a good coach.

Seriously though, UConn's issue is that it went on a losing streak which allowed lesser teams to move up faster. Pollsters this year are reluctant to move teams down too much after a loss, or two because there are so many teams losing. So it comes down to perception.

Reaction Score
We had a bad stretch with 1 or 2 too many losses. Look at it this way. UConn lost no out of conference games to Marquette's 3. NET of 6. It'll all come out in the wash, otherwise known as MSG. Marquette and UConn are clearly 1 & 2 and come this weekend the Big Dog with run away with it.

Capture.JPG

Reaction Score
Lets Go Yes GIF by Bubble Punk

Pollsters must value wins over close losses. Weird
ok, win against a cellar dweller by 2 and advance, or lose by the same amount to the league leader and drop in polls? Please.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like what we have, and where we are

I should write a country western song, maybe call it "what I have"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They just went 17-3 and won the Big East. There's lots to complain about about our ranking and seeds, but Marquette is a really good team
I agree. But this goes to the point I tried to make in the seeding thread. The difference between a W and an L in a close game is overstated. UConn loses by 3 @ Creighton. That's a wash. That's a tie. Given Creighton's above average crowd, maybe even better than that.

If you are just looking at W and L, you're going to overrate a bunch of lucky teams. It's the same in football for people who ignore PF and PA. The Vikings should have had 3-4 more losses last year.

If you want to know why the metrics like us, it's because we lost to SH by 1, Xavier by 3 and Creighton by 3. But then blew a lot of teams out. Look at the Luck number.

Screenshot 2023-03-07 072011.png

Reaction Score
Seriously, you have to be kidding. We beat them at home and they beat us at home. Why should anyone care whose home game was earlier in the season? We played identical conference schedule and they beat us over a 20 game season easily. Why should anyone care that they didn’t blow as many teams away — the goal was to win games and they did significantly better than us.

People are way too hung up on predictive and performance metrics. Reward teams for winning == punish them for losing. Marquette should absolutely be seeded and ranked ahead of us, even if one thinks (as I do) that we should be favored if we’re playing in the semis on a “neutral” court on Friday night.

Reaction Score
Seriously, you have to be kidding. We beat them at home and they beat us at home. Why should anyone care whose home game was earlier in the season? We played identical conference schedule and they beat us over a 20 game season easily. Why should anyone care that they didn’t blow as many teams away — the goal was to win games and they did significantly better than us.

People are way too hung up on predictive and performance metrics. Reward teams for winning == punish them for losing. Marquette should absolutely be seeded and ranked ahead of us, even if one thinks (as I do) that we should be favored if we’re playing in the semis on a “neutral” court on Friday night.
Seeded ahead, maybe, but we would be favored on a neutral court likely and that says a lot when you consider the way we beat them recently. Now I hope we don’t fail if that happens.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The things we care about never cease to amaze. We lost more or less 6 games in a row, they did not. Voters do not watch every game they look at box scores and go off feel. None of this matters it's tourney time let's win some games, the end.

Reaction Score
The only season that matters is the 6 game season that starts next week. We've won the tourney as a 1, 2, 3 and 7 seed. I'd be fine being the first school to win the tourney at all 16 seeds. A 4 seed NC rounds things out nicely.

Reaction Score
We lost to Marquette, Seton Hall and Xavier close, but had a couple bad ones in with those and we fell off a cliff rankings wise. Their close wins against mediocrity had no negative effect.
Winning at home is good. But losing on the road has a bigger impact in the poles

Reaction Score
Call me crazy / I just don’t think Marquette is as good as thier record/ranking. I mean , really, we all kno there is only one team from big east that is built for a trip to the final 4

Reaction Score
All is forgiven when you win, all is remembered when you lose

The advanced metrics care if you win by 2 or win by 20. The voters do not. A 2 point win over GTown when you’re favored by 10 is better than a 1 point loss to Xavier when they’re favored by 3

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Not saying they aren’t good but look at how close some of their wins against the dregs of our league were. They barely squeaked by and then we pretty much dominated them quite recently. Yes, we were at home for that but I just don’t see them as #6 in the country. I‘ve been wrong before plenty but that’s my take.

a win is a win

Reaction Score
Marquette barely beats Xavier, Creighton, DePaul and St. John’s as of late and we THRASH them. They are still 6 and we are at 11? This system for ranking and seeding (and there really isn’t one) is a total
Didn’t we loose to X 2x? Barely beating is better than losing…even without Fremantle. And St John’s……..

Reaction Score
The funny thing is if we were ranked 6th and beat all those teams and got passed by a team who beat them by more, you would be complaining about how that system is a total joke.

Reaction Score
Marquette deserves and earned everything they have gotten. UConn can right the ship starting this Thursday against Providence. If they play close to their ceiling they can and will beat Providence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom