Somebody's Top 10 POY Contenders | The Boneyard

Somebody's Top 10 POY Contenders

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's arguable that Sabally is actually the Ducks second best player right now rather than Hebard. Ruthy is very good but agree with others, don't see her being among the top 10 currently. It's silly having her ahead of Alanna. Clearly whoever came up with the list hasn't been watching any Pac 12 games (or Stanford beating Baylor). Kalani Brown is getting a lot of mileage from her good showing against UConn, but overall hasn't been as good as she was last year, I don't know that she belongs in the top 10 either.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's also kind of funny in that there's a lot of talk about how hard it is to differentiate among the top 8 teams this year so far, yet 2 of those teams have 2 of the top 10 players each. They should be head and shoulders ahead of the pack you would think.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd chop Hebard in favor of Smith, and then the 10th spot that Kalani Brown has is a tossup between her, Anriel Howard, Jackie Young, and Jessica Shepard.

In terms of players who have a realistic shot at POY, I think right now top candidates are Durr, Ogunbowale, McCowan, Samuelson and Ionescu. Gustafson and Anigwe are great but aren't winning it, and Smith has zero hype even though I think she's right there with those 5. Collier is good but on the outside looking in right now too.

Reaction Score
I'd chop Hebard in favor of Smith, and then the 10th spot that Kalani Brown has is a tossup between her, Anriel Howard, Jackie Young, and Jessica Shepard.

In terms of players who have a realistic shot at POY, I think right now top candidates are Durr, Ogunbowale, McCowan, Samuelson and Ionescu. Gustafson and Anigwe are great but aren't winning it, and Smith has zero hype even though I think she's right there with those 5. Collier is good but on the outside looking in right now too.
Only chance for anyone not named Ionescu to win is if Oregon drops a couple more games and doesn't win their conference. Then I suppose you never know. Could be a year where you end up seeing multiple POYs. Agreed with your list but I think Collier has had a better season than Durr. She's averaging more rebounds & shockingly, assists! I'd put her right there with Lou.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% on Smith!! She is having a breakout season. Well a really great one considering she's a senior. I feel like there should almost be one player per top ten team on this list, but some of the dominating players can rule out a player from a team. I don't think NC State needs a player. Hebard replaced with Smith, yes. I agree that Brown is having an overrated season, but I'm not sure who to replace her with. She is the best post player on her team, but she has another freshman post that takes aways some of her prestige. Plus she hasn't been as dominant.

I think the cards are for Ioenscu to win, unless something crazy unfolds during the rest of the season. I hate how mock drafts always include potential players that "could" declare." I hope Sabrina and anyother eligible player doesn't declare for the draft.

Reaction Score
KLS was the best player in the country last year and she's even sounder physically this season. Once she has all these all-time career stats (2,000 pts/ most UC 3pt fg) out of the way she will settle in and her conditioning should be ready for the stretch run to the final 4. However, I will be surprised if she won POY this time either. Her only chance would be if there were multiple winners and maybe she could win one of the media outlet awards.

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
KLS was the best player in the country last year and she's even sounder physically this season. Once she has all these all-time stats (2,000 pts/most UC 3pt fg) out of the way she will settle in and her conditioning should be ready for the stretch run to the final 4. However, I will be surprised if she won POY this time either. Her only chance would be if there were multiple winners and maybe she could win one of the media outlet awards.
I think A'ja Wilson was pretty decent as well.

Reaction Score
It's Ionesco hands down. Second is McCowan. With no support, KLS is getting mobbed on the perimeter, leading to tough shots and lower percentages. Same with Napheesa. She's just not getting free, and she's not tall enough to take on all of the other team's bigs down low. Tough year.

Ionesco may not be the better player, but she's got arguably better support.

Our kids aren't in the running this year.

Reaction Score
It's Ionesco hands down. Second is McCowan. With no support, KLS is getting mobbed on the perimeter, leading to tough shots and lower percentages. Same with Napheesa. She's just not getting free, and she's not tall enough to take on all of the other team's bigs down low. Tough year.

Ionesco may not be the better player, but she's got arguably better support.

Our kids aren't in the running this year.
True on the support part.....but Ionesco makes those support player better too.....I think that's what they call a force multiplier.

I agree with the Hands Down Ionesco.....I'd also throw in this....for a non-senior to get POY you're kinda saying she's the #1 pick in the draft that year if she is available......I think she passes that test too.

All I know about "royalty" is that "Royalty"="Princess"="Somebody else doing the dirty work for you"

Hell, why wouldn't every woman and girl in the world want to be that.....and apparently some men too !!!

Reaction Score
I think everyone should wait to crown Sabrina POY before Oregon plays Stanford, OSU twice, and ASU one more time. She's the favorite, but it could change in a heartbeat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom