Somebody's got to be first | The Boneyard

Somebody's got to be first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the feeling is that there is going to be four super conferences, 16 in each, well somebody has got to be first. Why doesn't one conference expand to 16 and be done with it. Seems to me that would put a lot of pressure on the other three.

You know this will happen down the road, but why not do it now. I caan see three conferences scambling like crazy when the first one reaches 16.

caw

Reaction Score
If the feeling is that there is going to be four super conferences, 16 in each, well somebody has got to be first. Why doesn't one conference expand to 16 and be done with it. Seems to me that would put a lot of pressure on the other three.

You know this will happen down the road, but why not do it now. I caan see three conferences scambling like crazy when the first one reaches 16.

Big 12, SEC and Big 10 are likely waiting to see what happens to the ACC vs. Maryland case.

Pac-12 doesn't need to expand right now and can wait it out, though if they can get Texas/Oklahoma/OKST they might bite, but that is very unlikely. Similar to ND joining a conference. But who knows.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I have always been in the camp that this is all eventually leading to 4 super conferences of 16 teams. But I recently go to thinking about it more...and I am not sure if that is even the eventual ending.

I am starting to think that the final realignment will end up with three conferences of 18 or 20 schools. Everyone always says that the B1G, SEC, and PAC12 are the clear power conferences and the B12 and ACC will battle it out for the fourth spot. But if the B1G, SEC, and PAC12 are that much more powerful....why allow a 4th conference to join them? And while 16 teams is a good number (especially compared to 14), I think that 18 or 20 is actually optimal. Everyone yearns for the days of the 9 and 10 team conferences for scheduling and rivalries...you can basically get there with the 18/20 team conferences. You would basically have two 9/10 team 'divisions' that is essentially what a conference was 10 years ago. But you consolidate the content and power into a mega conference. The media rights, revenue, and power these 3 conferences would have would be mind-numbing. I think that eventually you may see the 'power 3' come to this realization and just kill off the B12 and ACC. I know that th 4x16 is the accepted conclusion...but I have to wonder if this may eventually take shape once it is all said and done.

Reaction Score
I think the PAC B1G and SEC have secured their spot. Everyone in the b12 likes to wave the GOR flag, but I think they stand on shakey ground. In the end the leftovers from the ACC big 12 and big east will be forming a new conf or just joining under one flag. 4x16 is coming.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Something like:

PAC12
1-Arizona
2-Arizona St
3-USC
4-UCLA
5-California
6-Stanford
7-Oregon
8-Oregon St
9-Washington
10-Washington St
11-Utah
12-Colorado
13-Texas
14-Texas Tech
15-Oklahoma
16-Oklahoma St
17-Kansas
18-Kansas St
19-BYU
20-Baylor

B1G
1-Minnesota
2-Wisconsin
3-Illinios
4-Northwestern
5-Iowa
6-Indiana
7-Purdue
8-Michigan
9-Michigan St
10-Ohio St
11-Penn St
12-Nebraska
13-Maryland
14-Rutgers
15-Virginia
16-North Carolina
17-Georgia Tech
18-UConn
19-Syracuse
20-Notre Dame

SEC
1-Florida
2-Georgia
3-South Carolina
4-Alabama
5-Auburn
6-Mississippi
7-Mississippi St
8-Arkansas
9-Tennessee
10-Vanderbilt
11-Kentucky
12-LSU
13-Missouri
14-Texas A&M
15-Florida St
16-Clemson
17-NC State
18-Virginia Tech
19-West Virginia
20-Pittsburgh

Reaction Score
3x20 doesn't work with a 12 game schedule. You won't play teams outside your div unless you go round robin and play a champ game with the top two teams in each conf. Might as well go 6x10 at that pt.

caw

Reaction Score
The problem is Texas. The PAC-12 would have to let them play by their rules. They are as bad as ND, well not quite because they actually play football in a league. They are the reason the BIG12 is strong, and why it is weak. If the PAC12, or whoever, offered Texas what it wants they may jump. The problem is they are so outrageous that no one has been able to stomach them.

It's the same issue with ND, if they decide to go all in, that changes the landscape immensely and suddenly the ACC (or whoever they join with) is solid and has a ton of power.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
3x20 doesn't work with a 12 game schedule. You won't play teams outside your div unless you go round robin and play a champ game with the top two teams in each conf. Might as well go 6x10 at that pt.

3x20 has 6 10 team divisions. u play your division for 9 games. thats leaves u with 3 games to do what u want. fcs games will be extinct soon as sos comes into play in getting a playoff bid. fill those 3 games as u wish. 3 ooc games or 2 occ games and a cross division game in conf. then winner of each division plays the other division of the same conf. that also known as the future round 1 of the bcs 8 game playoff.

Reaction Score
3x20 has 6 10 team divisions. u play your division for 9 games. thats leaves u with 3 games to do what u want. fcs games will be extinct soon as sos comes into play in getting a playoff bid. fill those 3 games as u wish. 3 ooc games or 2 occ games and a cross division game in conf. then winner of each division plays the other division of the same conf. that also known as the future round 1 of the bcs 8 game playoff.
I just don't think it's practical. Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box enough. To me there should be some crossover games. At least two makes sense. So there's familiarity within the conf.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score

You play the 9 teams in your division each year. So you never play the teams in the 'other division' of your conference unless you meet in your conference post season.

Either that, or you basically have four pods of teams and you always stick with your core 5 teams each year and then rotate who your other five teams are in your 'division' each year. So for example:

B1G Pod 1:
UConn
Syracuse
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn St

B1G Pod 2:
Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St
Virginia
Northwestern

B1G Pod 3:
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Illinois
Nebraka
Iowa

B1G Pod 4:
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame
Georgia Tech
North Carolina

First Year:

Division A
Pod 1
Pod 2

Division B
Pod 3
Pod 4

Second Year:

Division A
Pod 1
Pod 3

Division B
Pod 2
Pod 4

Third Year:

Division A
Pod 1
Pod 4

Division B
Pod 2
Pod 3

....and so on. So you would get to play every team at least once in a 3 year period.

And basketball is even better...you play every team every year.

Reactions: caw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104