Somebody explain this to me slowly because I just don't get it | The Boneyard

Somebody explain this to me slowly because I just don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Houston, SMU and UCF are all assumed to be automatic yes to the BE. Boise is a maybe as are and Navy. ECU is maybe stronger than a maybe. How does adding these schools add up to a bigger TV deal than ESPN offered?

Houston is probably #3 or potentially lower in the Houston market for TV ratings behind Bevo, aTm and maybe even Texas Tech. SMU is definitely #3 in the Dallas market behind Bevo and aTm and maybe behind TCU. Boise is #1 is Boise and Idaho, AFA is #3 in Colorado and Navy has a small nationwide audience. ECU dominates Greenville but is #4 or lower with some SEC teams rating higher in NC. When the jewel of the additions is Boise...

What BE matchups will cause any of these teams to produce greater TV numbers than the old BE with Pitt and Cuse? Boise will bring some interest based on reputation (but will that take a hit when they can't schedule huge games OOC?) but I can not see huge appeal in any market for RU and SMU or Uconn and Houston until they have played each other for at least 6-8 years. So explain to me slowly why there is once again a renewed expectation that the reformulated Big East/West will get some kind of huge 10 year TV contract that will rival the ACC?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If we don't like the new Big East TV deal that ESPN offers us, we can always beg harder.

Reaction Score
Houston, SMU and UCF are all assumed to be automatic yes to the BE. Boise is a maybe as are and Navy. ECU is maybe stronger than a maybe. How does adding these schools add up to a bigger TV deal than ESPN offered?

Houston is probably #3 or potentially lower in the Houston market for TV ratings behind Bevo, aTm and maybe even Texas Tech. SMU is definitely #3 in the Dallas market behind Bevo and aTm and maybe behind TCU. Boise is #1 is Boise and Idaho, AFA is #3 in Colorado and Navy has a small nationwide audience. ECU dominates Greenville but is #4 or lower with some SEC teams rating higher in NC. When the jewel of the additions is Boise...

What BE matchups will cause any of these teams to produce greater TV numbers than the old BE with Pitt and Cuse? Boise will bring some interest based on reputation (but will that take a hit when they can't schedule huge games OOC?) but I can not see huge appeal in any market for RU and SMU or Uconn and Houston until they have played each other for at least 6-8 years. So explain to me slowly why there is once again a renewed expectation that the reformulated Big East/West will get some kind of huge 10 year TV contract that will rival the ACC?

Big East Basketball will still be strong and football will be stronger. I don't see how losing 2 schools makes our deal significantly worse when the Basketball product will still be on the same level, get 9 schools into the tourney instead of 11 big deal, and football will actually be a better product on the field and in more and larger TV markets.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
quote]

Simple answer: It doesn't.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nobody knows what type of contract will be offered. The question also applies to why would the ACC expect a much better deal with Cuse and Pitt? There are no established rivalries with either team outside of BC.

Every one is arguing for different combinations of universities which tells me that no one has a consensus and every combination is equally plausible to the other combination.

I'm just hoping the rumors are serious. A separate commissioner for the football schools and basketball schools with the football schools having autonomy over their sport is the salient point in this arrangement.

Reaction Score
Big East Basketball will still be strong and football will be stronger. I don't see how losing 2 schools makes our deal significantly worse when the Basketball product will still be on the same level, get 9 schools into the tourney instead of 11 big deal, and football will actually be a better product on the field and in more and larger TV markets.
So why aren't all the FB schools lining up to a bigger exit fee?If this is the case, then why would they all be poised to leave? The people that know about this stuff must not have the same conclusions you have about the markets, strength of product and potential TV revenue.

Someone needs to post the ratings for season games for all of the various markets. I know one of you guys has to have them available to you thru some channel. Just post them.

Reaction Score
The deal ESPN offered was good compared to what we have now but nowhere near competitive with the other BCS leagues. Everyone knows with Cuse and Pitt we would have been able to beat that offer and more than likely by good margin. I hope everyone understands that. Without Pitt and Cuse it's not as attractive but with Boise St. and a 12 team format including the service academies it can be argued that the football product is improved without the basketball product taking a major hit. I find it hard to believe that the deal would not be better. I guess those who think it will be better just see it very differently from those who think it will not be.

Reaction Score
So why aren't all the FB schools lining up to a bigger exit fee?If this is the case, then why would they all be poised to leave? The people that know about this stuff must not have the same conclusions you have about the markets, strength of product and potential TV revenue.

Someone needs to post the ratings for season games for all of the various markets. I know one of you guys has to have them available to you thru some channel. Just post them.

Looking at the ratings now would not tell the growth potential for those teams. It would be like comparing CUSA Louisville, USF, and Cinci to what they draw in the Big East. The football schools are not lining up because it's not a done deal yet. Everyone wants a gaurantee which the BE can't give you yet. There has been more than one article posted today with so called experts saying that the TV deal could still be very good.

Reaction Score
The deal ESPN offered was good compared to what we have now but nowhere near competitive with the other BCS leagues. Everyone knows with Cuse and Pitt we would have been able to beat that offer and more than likely by good margin. I hope everyone understands that. Without Pitt and Cuse it's not as attractive but with Boise St. and a 12 team format including the service academies it can be argued that the football product is improved without the basketball product taking a major hit. I find it hard to believe that the deal would not be better. I guess those who think it will be better just see it very differently from those who think it will not be.
How is the basketball product not taking a major hit? We are losing 2 of the top 4 programs in the league. We are not replacing the basketball product with any school that can compare with Pitt and Cuse, football will be made stronger but hoops is taking a hit.

Reaction Score
How is the basketball product not taking a major hit? We are losing 2 of the top 4 programs in the league. We are not replacing the basketball product with any school that can compare with Pitt and Cuse, football will be made stronger but hoops is taking a hit.

OK, maybe it would qualify as a major hit but in a league as strong as ours is for basketball is is a manageable hit and as has been discussed ad nauseum the real money comes from the football product. Basketball is a nice little side dish for the main course so I think it evens out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You are right. We should dissolve the conference and go independent.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is it possible that you might start letting people speak for themselves, and arguing with what they actually say?

No. Complaining about the only solution on the table without offering an alternative is an invitation for me, or anyone else, to fill in the blank. The original post is a complaint for complaining's sake.

Woe is us, the program is finished, everything is awful. I got it. It has been said before.

Reaction Score
While we are trying to explain things, here is another that eludes me. What is the "culture" of a conference that has teams asgeographically spread out and as different as those being mentioned. I read many comments in threads about how originally BC to the ACC was such a cultural mistake. What kind of "cultural" mistake are we making if we end up in a conference like that currently under discussion?

Reaction Score
While we are trying to explain things, here is another that eludes me. What is the "culture" of a conference that has teams asgeographically spread out and as different as those being mentioned. I read many comments in threads about how originally BC to the ACC was such a cultural mistake. What kind of "cultural" mistake are we making if we end up in a conference like that currently under discussion?

There is already a cultural divide between the football schools and the basketball onlies. This is not an ideal situation for anyone and that is why any football school would bolt at their first given chance and the bb schools are discussing splitting if uconn of UofL were to leave.

Reaction Score
There is already a cultural divide between the football schools and the basketball onlies. This is not an ideal situation for anyone and that is why any football school would bolt at their first given chance and the bb schools are discussing splitting if uconn of UofL were to leave.
I get the BB/football divide as a major problem, but I also get the feeling at times that we should be careful what we wish for since we may get it. Before you jump all over that last statement let me also say I understand that a conference with schools which are third or fourth in their markets and spread all over kingdom come is not anyone's ideal outcome. But if we get into it because it is expedient or necessary, are we willing to take the potential risk to some non athletic institutional goals? I don't have the answer but it bothers me. The new Pres has some very lofty non athletic goals.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
An unmitigated cultural disaster. I think UL, UC and WVU can fit in a conference with SMU, Houston, SFU, CFU, Memphis, S Miss and ECU. Maybe Tulane. It's a mix of mostly southern urban schools except WVU. Cincy isn't quite southern but much of its burbs are in Kentucky. It is what those schools should do.

UConn and Rutgers have no fit except ACC or B1G.

Reaction Score
An unmitigated cultural disaster. I think UL, UC and WVU can fit in a conference with SMU, Houston, SFU, CFU, Memphis, S Miss and ECU. Maybe Tulane. It's a mix of mostly southern urban schools except WVU. Cincy isn't quite southern but much of its burbs are in Kentucky. It is what those schools should do.

UConn and Rutgers have no fit except ACC or B1G.
Hopefully you are wrong as to the degree of disaster. The options (short of a quick ACC invite) do not look wonderful. When I first read some advocate staying with the BB schools and trying to hang on as an indepentent for a couple of years I thought they were crazy. Now I half think that it might not be totally bonkers. At least we would not be taking the risk of being stuck in a bad marriage for some period of time.

Don't know if I have become a negative nelly over this but it is starting to depress me.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's simple supply and demands. There's a lot of demand for college football... there's Fox Sports Net and NBC Sports that are currently filling that demand with such high quality products as Lehigh @ Colgate.... and fishing shows.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's simple supply and demands. There's a lot of demand for college football... there's Fox Sports Net and NBC Sports that are currently filling that demand with such high quality products as Lehigh @ Colgate.... and fishing shows.
College fishing shows! I swear, I think it was Versus, they had two-man teams from VTech, Ramapo, and a couple small colleges I hadn't heard of, competing in a bass fishing tournament.

I don't think it was scholarship, but you never know.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
College fishing shows! I swear, I think it was Versus, they had two-man teams from VTech, Ramapo, and a couple small colleges I hadn't heard of, competing in a bass fishing tournament.

I don't think it was scholarship, but you never know.

Are you kidding? In some parts of the south that's an honors program!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
http://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/college-top-10

2010 Top 25 College Bass Fishing teams

1 North Carolina State
2 North Texas
3 Northwestern State
4 Virginia Tech
5 Eastern Kentucky
6 Florida
7 Auburn
8 Stephen F. Austin
9 Texas A&M
10 Murray state
11 Alabama
12 Arkansas
13 Indiana
14 San Jose State
15 Arizona State
16 Louisiana - Lafayette
17 Oklahoma
18 LSU - Shreveport
19 UCF
20 Arkansas - Little Rock
21 Sacramento State
22 Texas State
23 Tarleton State
24 North Alabama
25 Faulkner

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
June 22, 2010
Gone Fishing on Scholarship, With Hopes of Turning Pro

By JAMES CARD

GIBSON COUNTY LAKE, Tenn. — The college freshmen Jake Lawrence and Jacob Hardy have two priorities: getting good grades and catching big fish. Standing on the deck of a 20-foot-long bass boat on a 560-acre lake in west Tennessee, they almost look like two tanned brothers. They wear the same uniform of flip-flops, wraparound polarized sunglasses, frayed Bethel University ball caps, and fishing shirts plastered with sponsor logos.
They room together, go to school together and fish together. And Bethel University brought them together as the first students in America to receive an athletic scholarship for competitive bass fishing. This week, these boys of summer will make room on their boat for another team member, Lauren Stamps, the first woman in the United States to receive a scholarship for bass fishing and one of a handful of women to compete on the nearly all-male college circuit.
The growth of collegiate bass-fishing tournaments caught the eye of Bethel University in McKenzie, Tenn. There are an estimated 220 college bass-fishing clubs throughout the United States and Canada, according to collegebass.com, an ESPN-partnered Web site. The Bethel administrators decided that a strong bass-fishing team could be a good recruiting tool, so they officially recognized it as a sport, included it in their athletic department’s budget, and hired Garry Mason, a professional hunting and fishing guide, to be their coach. Scholarships range from $1,000 to $4,000 a year.
“We’re looking for a mix of a background in fishing and good academics,” Mason said. “We’re not looking for the Michael Jordan of the fishing world.”
He believes bass fishing is something that can be mastered by spending a lot of time on the water and by learning from more experienced team members.
In the other boat, Coach Garry — as his student-anglers call him — gave Stamps tips on using a bait-casting reel, while Blake Welch, another freshman team member, pointed out splashy riffles on the water’s surface.
“They’re chasing shad,” he said, and his rod slashed through the air like a fencing saber and he dropped the minnowlike lure within inches of the disturbance. “I’ve been fishing ever since the day I could first hold a rod in my hand.”
Mason has eight students in the program and plans to have 12 to 13 in the lineup. Two students from Alabama and another from Iowa are expected to join the team.
“Bethel was really aggressive in expanding their recruiting to attract students, and for some students, the kicker was joining the bass-fishing team,” Mason said.
Students can now make enrollment decisions based on whether a college has a bass-fishing team.
“I would have loved to receive a scholarship for fishing,” Shayne Chelminiak, a student at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, said in an e-mail message. “As a high school athlete, I received scholarships to play college football, but I turned them down to go to a school near home which had a great academic background but also a fishing team where I could drive home in an hour and be able to fish on the weekends.”
Dan Langton, the president of the Murray State bass angler’s club, said: “I like the idea of the college getting involved and funding their team. Schools do not yet realize the enrollment and recruiting possibilities in this sport. I know of about 10 anglers on our team that came to Murray just because of the fishing team. I get calls and e-mails every week from high school students wanting to know more about our team.”
FLW Outdoors, the largest sanctioning organization for sport fishing tournament tours, just finished its second year organizing college-level bass tournaments.
“We have students now deciding on which college to go to based on the school’s bass-fishing club,” said Charlie Evans, president of FLW.
“It was an out-of-the-park home run,” Evans said of the tournament’s popularity. “These college anglers are unbelievably talented for their age.”
To encourage participation, FLW provides boats for the anglers to use, waives entry fees and offers a travel allowance.
This year, the University of Florida bass fishing team won the National Guard FLW College Fishing National Championship. The team’s winnings included a new Ranger bass boat, $25,000 for the bass club, and $50,000 to be passed on to its university but to be used as bass anglers see fit. Florida used the money to create a scholarship for students in need of financial assistance.
By winning the national championship, Florida qualified to fish in the Forest Wood Cup, the biggest tournament in competitive bass fishing, in which the winner could take home $1 million. Evans of FLW likens it to a college baseball player having a chance to play in the World Series.
The Illinois High School Athletic Association recognized bass fishing as a sport in 2009 and this year has 225 schools competing in sectional tournaments and state finals. Other states have expressed interest in the sport, and Alabama started a tournament series this year with 20 schools competing.
In theory, a student could fish on a high school team, then compete on a top college bass-fishing team and garner some titles. By graduation time, the angler could have the skill, reputation, and savvy to attract sponsors and turn professional.
It is a path Jake Lawrence and Jacob Hardy have considered more than a few times.
In hourslong conversations, they have discussed the idea while on trips between bass tournaments this spring. They learned how tough the bass fishing circuit can be and they have experienced the cheap hotels, predawn wake-up calls, and fishing in foul weather. In February, they fished in two inches of snow at Lake Guntersville in Alabama, and Hardy slipped and fell overboard into the icy water. He fished the rest of the day in borrowed clothing.
“It’s both a dream of ours,” Hardy said. “We’re hoping that through college bass fishing, we can have a foot in the door for sponsors.”
Lawrence tied on a coffee-scented Rage Tail Thumper, a lure that resembles a baby garter snake jabbed with a large hook, and cast into a creek bed on the bottom of the lake that is invisible to the naked eye but evident with side-scan sonar and depth finders.
“Ever since I learned how to fish, that’s all I ever thought about,” he said. “I don’t know if there’s any better way to do it with this opportunity we’ve been given

Reaction Score
Isn't this the part of the segment where someone bemoans how Hathaway runied the program by not focusing on the fishing team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom