Some weird, some stats, some observations about Memphis | The Boneyard

Some weird, some stats, some observations about Memphis

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
1. If the three shots that Nat had go in and out fall, she has her best game of the year. She passed well.
2. Chong's missed foul shot was her first since January 1st against UCF.
3. Speaking of FTs, how many other teams can boast having four starters shooting at least 80% from the line.
4. Who takes over for Lawlor as the high five person after threes?
5. Memphis did not want to be there. They gave up the fight early; the exception being their sudden interest in wanting to guard Lawlor at the end of the game.
6. I liked the pink shoes though.
7. Gabby had a few plays that had been fouls all year that weren't called today. Tough to adjust when the officiating varies that much from game to game.
8. My favorite two plays were the two full court passes between Lou and Saniya.
9. I missed reading Nan's posts in the game thread.
10. Is it me? Has this season flown by?

Reaction Score
1. If the three shots that Nat had go in and out fall, she has her best game of the year. She passed well.
2. Chong's missed foul shot was her first since January 1st against UCF.
3. Speaking of FTs, how many other teams can boast having four starters shooting at least 80% from the line.
4. Who takes over for Lawlor as the high five person after threes?
5. Memphis did not want to be there. They gave up the fight early; the exception being their sudden interest in wanting to guard Lawlor at the end of the game.
6. I liked the pink shoes though.
7. Gabby had a few plays that had been fouls all year that weren't called today. Tough to adjust when the officiating varies that much from game to game.
8. My favorite two plays were the two full court passes between Lou and Saniya.
9. I missed reading Nan's posts in the game thread.
10. Is it me? Has this season flown by?
I saw one of the KLS passes to Saniya on a clip and I was awed on both sides. The pass was perfectly thrown but Saniya had very little time to react catching and then putting up the shot and it was flawless on both ends. Awesome is the only word that describes it!

Reaction Score
....the exception being their sudden interest in wanting to guard Lawlor at the end of the game.

Noticed that during the game, and was discussing it with others in the stands at the time. That was BUSH-LEAGUE; if this was a team trying to get a player 50 points for the game or a triple-double, that would be different. I'm not saying that they should back off and let the player score, just keep doing what you were doing, and see what happens.

AFAIAC: The next time UConn plays Memphis, they should put all effort into shutting The Tigers (avoiding the Colombian colloquialism for the Carolina Tiger team for fear of being censored) out for the first quarter, then hang 125 on them. Teach them that if they mess with the bull (Husky), they'll get the horns (teeth).

I LOVED the play by our team to try and get TLaw a shot, especially that last run of screens to get her open. That might have been the hardest that I have seen Natalie play in her career!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The long passes for layups this season have been a thing of beauty. A few have been overthrown, but most have been right on target and converted.

I thought that Nat was as mobile yesterday as I've seen her. She looks 15 lbs lighter than in October. I'm glad she wasn't part of the Senior Day festivities yesterday. She'll have her niche next year. She's stronger than Azura and both taller and a better shooter than Batouly.

Reaction Score
Fun game! Much more relaxing than the last I attended (SC!) Maybe I have become good at "reading" KatieLou. Before the SC game I was concerned when I watched the pregame warmups. She just didn't look fluid and confident. I had hoped it was one of those "bad rehearsal - good play" situations, but her shot was not on in that game. When I watched the warmups for this game I thought she looked much better. Sure enough, she put in a great shooting (and all around) game.
I like Butler much more in the high post than low. With her physical attributes, you would think she should be great down low, but it just doesn't work that well for her on offense. When she is at the high post she holds the ball up and pulls a defender out and can make good passes or shoot the foul line jumper. She seems much more mobile on defense now.
Also appreciated the progress Crystal has made on the defensive end. And of course Gabby and Napheesa continue to impress. And continue to be happy for Saniya. Such a fun team to watch!

Reaction Score
Fun game! Much more relaxing than the last I attended (SC!) Maybe I have become good at "reading" KatieLou. Before the SC game I was concerned when I watched the pregame warmups. She just didn't look fluid and confident. I had hoped it was one of those "bad rehearsal - good play" situations, but her shot was not on in that game. When I watched the warmups for this game I thought she looked much better. Sure enough, she put in a great shooting (and all around) game.
I like Butler much more in the high post than low. With her physical attributes, you would think she should be great down low, but it just doesn't work that well for her on offense. When she is at the high post she holds the ball up and pulls a defender out and can make good passes or shoot the foul line jumper. She seems much more mobile on defense now.
Also appreciated the progress Crystal has made on the defensive end. And of course Gabby and Napheesa continue to impress. And continue to be happy for Saniya. Such a fun team to watch!
I think this was the first game in weeks that KLS looked healthy.

Reaction Score
The most remarkable thing for me about this game was the way that KLS kept moving and not stopping and staying in one spot. When she moves, she is like Breanna Stewart and puts herself in many different ways of scoring and obtaining rebounds.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The most remarkable thing for me about this game was the way that KLS kept moving and not stopping and staying in one spot. When she moves, she is like Breanna Stewart and puts herself in many different ways of scoring and obtaining rebounds.

There is a lot more upside in that lanky frame.

Reaction Score
I love the balance of this team and the chemistry is through the roof. As you mentioned, such a fun team to watch. They all add so much to the overall. It took a game to figure out playing without Kia and they figured it out. Hopefully her return will just make this team that much more imposing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom