Some thoughts on where this season could be heading | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on where this season could be heading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of opinions circulating the board right now. I might as well throw a few more out there.

I think just about all of us would agree that 1-1 wasn't a terrible result this week. To play 48 hours and a flight after an emotional game against SMU was always going to be difficult. Yes, Cincinnati had to do the same thing, but they were at home and needed to have that win. I'm guessing a lot of us penciled that in as a loss even before the season.

As far as I'm concerned, the main question confronting this team isn't whether they will make the tournament, but rather, if they're good enough to accomplish anything if and when they get there. Obviously, they have to get in first, but my point is, all of the agonizing over the bubble watch is really besides the point and I haven't spent much time worrying about. If, following the next 5-8 games, it isn't conclusive that we should be in the tournament on our own merits, then I have no interest in dancing anyways. There's no point in showing up if we're going to play like we did in the first half of the Gonzaga and Maryland games. I don't want to hear about the AAC getting screwed or anything else. There's no damn reason we shouldn't win the conference tournament. If we lose three in a row to a team like Cincinnati or Temple, then we deserve what we get.

I will attempt to answer the question that introduces the preceding paragraph, but first, I must admit that this team befuddles me. Much as it seems I and countless others have been screaming it from the mountaintops all season, it's worth mentioning again: the pieces are there. I projected this group as the #2 team in America before the season, and despite all evidence flying in opposition of that stance, I'm still not convinced that I was wrong.

By some distinct creation of my mind, there is a certain reluctance of reality to align with the boneyard visionaries that plotted their path to greatness before the beginning of the season. There are recurring moments of incredulity with this group that summon this:

5bd.jpg

Only difference being, I actually am mad, because with everything being in place for another Utopian realization of UConn basketball - where we win a championship and leave everybody else bewildered - there appears to be some sort of mental blockade prohibiting this from happening. We're not ruling out the possibility that this is supernatural, but also, there is a tendency of our players to make unconscionable errors at times when it feels like we're starting to figure things out. Name a player, and I'll make a very quick association to a play or habit that leaves me gasping for air. How many times are we going to watch Daniel Hamilton travel before Kevin Ollie loses his mind? How many layups - unmistakably uncontested layups - have Gibbs, Purvis, and Nolan left on the table this season? Amida Brimah? I sympathize with the fact that he's a relative novice to the game, but it's time to learn how to catch the basketball. Not some of the time, not most of the time, all of the time. Hell, I'm fairly certain there was one game this season where we were called for multiple lane violations.

There has been a lot of criticism directed towards the coaching staff, not all of it unjustified. But this group...they sometimes don't do the things that all D-1 basketball players are expected to know how to do from day one. The double-dribble that Purvis was called for near the end of the Temple game was stupefying to the extent that it was evident there had to have been psychological factors at play. That psychological factor could be as simple as "it was late in the game, he was nervous, and opposing students were screaming at him" but nonetheless it's concerning when your leaders sometimes resemble a middle-schooler trying to talk to a girl for the first time during crunch-time (still not sure why the girls wouldn't engage me back in the day on the topic of the motion offense, losers).

I'm as big a believer as anybody else that luck plays an inordinate role in determining the outcome of sports games. However, this core group of players has lost close games at an abnormal rate for nearly two seasons now (318th in luck last year, 320 in luck this year). At some point, that becomes tricky to qualify. Maybe they're due to rip off 6 straight close wins...it seemed to happen with the 2011 team after they were snake-bitten in Big East play. Then again, maybe there's a concrete reason that we're struggling to win close games.

I don't want my post to be rejected by the infamous character limit (there's a good chance I'm the only one who encounters this problem), so I'll leave you with a couple observations on what I've seen and how I project things to evolve moving forward:

1. Enough with the cuteness. Get your five best players on the court to start the game. I can handle one of Rodney and Jalen coming off the bench, but not both. And if one of them picks up a foul or two, that doesn't mean we need to sit them for ten minutes at a time. I understand protecting Brimah, but if Ollie sits somebody like Adams because he picks up two fouls in the first half one more time I'm going to crawl through the TV and bring him to the scorers table myself. You can't coach paralyzed by the fear of foul trouble. We played, what, 12 games without Brimah? If he fouls out, he fouls out.

2. It may be difficult to notice, but I think the offense is coming along. There have been moments for this offense, and typically, they involve fairly straightforward dribble-drives and kicks that eventually decentralizes the help defense. Eventually, Adams is going to have to acquire a jumper, but for now, assuming the spacing is pristine, he can continue to play the role of 2014 Terrence Samuel 2.0.

I have and will object to Brimah being the primary ball screener. Opponents know that you're not going to zip a pass into him at the elbow. He's not a threat to pass or dribble. If somebody like Hamilton is operating out of a ball screen at the top of the key, allow Miller to set the high ball screen, roll towards the paint, and station Brimah as a lurker along the baseline.

Moreover, utilizing a big man as a ball screener allows him to establish post position easier. Screening forces your defender to engage in the screening action, meaning Miller can slip to the block unscathed. Swing the ball from the top of the key to the strong side, and suddenly the post entry is a lot easier.

3. Match-ups - assuming we make the tournament - will be vital, simply because our front court defense often vacillates between dominant and average based on opposing personnel. Miller, for instance, is a valuable defensive piece who can guard the ball well and switch onto guards, but when he's stuck with a dangerous pick and pop big, he tends to veer too far off. Against a team like Villanova (four out), UConn would likely switch 1-4, soft hedge 1-5 screens, and force Villanova to hit enough shots over Brimah to win.

You go up against a team like Duke where Ingram is playing the four and popping weak side, it could be trouble for UConn defending ball screens (though I'd imagine they'd score on the other end, too). Iowa would be tough, too.

4. One of the prevailing flaws of this team concerns the ability of our guards to get their shots off quickly. Purvis and Gibbs are effective set shooters, but I don't think they're guys who can get accurate shots off in tight windows.

The NCAAT is a ways away. For now, I'm worried about the conference tournament. Yes, I know that's not for another couple weeks, but this UConn team can mend a lot of wounds during three days in Orlando. There is not a team there we should not beat. We haven't played our best basketball, but fortunately, there is still plenty of time. If we can condense each possession from every game into carefully negotiated chess matches, we are going to very likely win.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I also traveled the first time I tried talking to a girl I liked in junior high school... into the front of a locker when another guy twice my size who liked her threw me. Unless they've put in new lockers since I graduated, some kid in Oakbank today has one with my tooth mark in it.

Reaction Score
Good post @champs99and04. As frustrated as I was about Saturday, they were in a tough spot with the quick turnaround, tough environment, and desperate opponent. Cincy and UConn are different types of teams, but having similar seasons where a couple of plays here and there could have their season in a different direction.

What frustrates me is the two Temple games, and the Cincy game at home. If we had won those 3 close games, we would be 22-5, and 12-2 in the conference and looking at a Top 4 seed. They gave away those games with terrible end game management, and really just listless play in the first Temple game.

What worries is their inability to win close games. This has been a trend for 2 years, and I feel like they struggle getting over the hump. SMU was a step in the right direction, but you could argue that if Hamilton doesn't hit that shot to get the lead up to 4, they would have folded.

Like you said, the conference tournament gives them not only an opportunity to improve their resume, but give them some nice momentum going into the tournament. If they play Houston/Temple/Tulsa or Cincy (this would be the current path) they could pick up 3 Top 100 RPI wins, and move off the 8/9 line.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
As much as it kills me to say this, don't sleep on Kentucky. They got past their early season struggles and are rolling. We can do some damage but I think our lack of ball handling will be the hindrance. You can never have enough ball handlers.

Reaction Score
As much as it kills me to say this, don't sleep on Kentucky. They got past their early season struggles and are rolling. We can do some damage but I think our lack of ball handling will be the hindrance. You can never have enough ball handlers.
Ulis might be the best pg in college and probably has the biggest upside

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ulis might be the best pg in college and probably has the biggest upside

In my eyes its Monte Morris @ Iowa St

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
TLDR - we are talented, but flawed, particularly in crunch time. Get the best players on the floor and let them play through foul trouble. We are heavily matchup dependent (like all of college basketball -oka interjection). Champs still 10 toes in.

Reaction Score
I think you should have put a period after "college." His upside is limited by the fact that he's 5-9.
Isaiah Thomas all star . Kemba Walker near all star and 5'11. But I agree ulis isn't as talented as those two . Just a great college pg a la Dee brown .

And to @champs99and04 , brimah is the primary ball screener IMO ( or atlesst should be) because otherwise the offense is operating 4v5. He could never in his life catch the ball and create within the arc ( in Iso). Let AB roll hard to the paint because he's actually an above average offensive rebounder .

Just coach better schemes to get your best players the ball in ideal spots , like Miller anywhere in the arc . better off ball movement and exchanges that keep the defense engaged leaving Miller room to operate off simple entry passes

Reaction Score
Everyone should go ahead and look at all of the 9-5 and 9-6 conference record teams in the power 5 plus the AAC and Big East. There are a ton of teams that have similar talent and records and guess what? We're one of them. I happen to think that anybody can beat anybody on any given day, that's the kind of year it is. Lots of teams with talent and flaws. I know we all hoped we would be ahead of most of them, but unfortunately we are not. That's where we are heading.

Reaction Score
Good post @champs99and04. As frustrated as I was about Saturday, they were in a tough spot with the quick turnaround, tough environment, and desperate opponent. Cincy and UConn are different types of teams, but having similar seasons where a couple of plays here and there could have their season in a different direction.

What frustrates me is the two Temple games, and the Cincy game at home. If we had won those 3 close games, we would be 22-5, and 12-2 in the conference and looking at a Top 4 seed. They gave away those games with terrible end game management, and really just listless play in the first Temple game.

What worries is their inability to win close games. This has been a trend for 2 years, and I feel like they struggle getting over the hump. SMU was a step in the right direction, but you could argue that if Hamilton doesn't hit that shot to get the lead up to 4, they would have folded.

Like you said, the conference tournament gives them not only an opportunity to improve their resume, but give them some nice momentum going into the tournament. If they play Houston/Temple/Tulsa or Cincy (this would be the current path) they could pick up 3 Top 100 RPI wins, and move off the 8/9 line.
Even if we just split with Temple and Cincy, we would still be first place in the conference with an 11-3 record and 21-6 overall. Its a completely different conversation right now if that was the case. It just goes to show how close yet how far this team was to being in the conversation for a 4/5 seed. The margin for error is very thin in the AAC, and they only have themselves to blame because they couldnt take care of business vs teams they should have beat.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
A lot of opinions circulating the board right now. I might as well throw a few more out there.

I think just about all of us would agree that 1-1 wasn't a terrible result this week. To play 48 hours and a flight after an emotional game against SMU was always going to be difficult. Yes, Cincinnati had to do the same thing, but they were at home and needed to have that win. I'm guessing a lot of us penciled that in as a loss even before the season.

As far as I'm concerned, the main question confronting this team isn't whether they will make the tournament, but rather, if they're good enough to accomplish anything if and when they get there. Obviously, they have to get in first, but my point is, all of the agonizing over the bubble watch is really besides the point and I haven't spent much time worrying about. If, following the next 5-8 games, it isn't conclusive that we should be in the tournament on our own merits, then I have no interest in dancing anyways. There's no point in showing up if we're going to play like we did in the first half of the Gonzaga and Maryland games. I don't want to hear about the AAC getting screwed or anything else. There's no damn reason we shouldn't win the conference tournament. If we lose three in a row to a team like Cincinnati or Temple, then we deserve what we get.

I will attempt to answer the question that introduces the preceding paragraph, but first, I must admit that this team befuddles me. Much as it seems I and countless others have been screaming it from the mountaintops all season, it's worth mentioning again: the pieces are there. I projected this group as the #2 team in America before the season, and despite all evidence flying in opposition of that stance, I'm still not convinced that I was wrong.

By some distinct creation of my mind, there is a certain reluctance of reality to align with the boneyard visionaries that plotted their path to greatness before the beginning of the season. There are recurring moments of incredulity with this group that summon this:

5bd.jpg

Only difference being, I actually am mad, because with everything being in place for another Utopian realization of UConn basketball - where we win a championship and leave everybody else bewildered - there appears to be some sort of mental blockade prohibiting this from happening. We're not ruling out the possibility that this is supernatural, but also, there is a tendency of our players to make unconscionable errors at times when it feels like we're starting to figure things out. Name a player, and I'll make a very quick association to a play or habit that leaves me gasping for air. How many times are we going to watch Daniel Hamilton travel before Kevin Ollie loses his mind? How many layups - unmistakably uncontested layups - have Gibbs, Purvis, and Nolan left on the table this season? Amida Brimah? I sympathize with the fact that he's a relative novice to the game, but it's time to learn how to catch the basketball. Not some of the time, not most of the time, all of the time. Hell, I'm fairly certain there was one game this season where we were called for multiple lane violations.

There has been a lot of criticism directed towards the coaching staff, not all of it unjustified. But this group...they sometimes don't do the things that all D-1 basketball players are expected to know how to do from day one. The double-dribble that Purvis was called for near the end of the Temple game was stupefying to the extent that it was evident there had to have been psychological factors at play. That psychological factor could be as simple as "it was late in the game, he was nervous, and opposing students were screaming at him" but nonetheless it's concerning when your leaders sometimes resemble a middle-schooler trying to talk to a girl for the first time during crunch-time (still not sure why the girls wouldn't engage me back in the day on the topic of the motion offense, losers).

I'm as big a believer as anybody else that luck plays an inordinate role in determining the outcome of sports games. However, this core group of players has lost close games at an abnormal rate for nearly two seasons now (318th in luck last year, 320 in luck this year). At some point, that becomes tricky to qualify. Maybe they're due to rip off 6 straight close wins...it seemed to happen with the 2011 team after they were snake-bitten in Big East play. Then again, maybe there's a concrete reason that we're struggling to win close games.

I don't want my post to be rejected by the infamous character limit (there's a good chance I'm the only one who encounters this problem), so I'll leave you with a couple observations on what I've seen and how I project things to evolve moving forward:

1. Enough with the cuteness. Get your five best players on the court to start the game. I can handle one of Rodney and Jalen coming off the bench, but not both. And if one of them picks up a foul or two, that doesn't mean we need to sit them for ten minutes at a time. I understand protecting Brimah, but if Ollie sits somebody like Adams because he picks up two fouls in the first half one more time I'm going to crawl through the TV and bring him to the scorers table myself. You can't coach paralyzed by the fear of foul trouble. We played, what, 12 games without Brimah? If he fouls out, he fouls out.

2. It may be difficult to notice, but I think the offense is coming along. There have been moments for this offense, and typically, they involve fairly straightforward dribble-drives and kicks that eventually decentralizes the help defense. Eventually, Adams is going to have to acquire a jumper, but for now, assuming the spacing is pristine, he can continue to play the role of 2014 Terrence Samuel 2.0.

I have and will object to Brimah being the primary ball screener. Opponents know that you're not going to zip a pass into him at the elbow. He's not a threat to pass or dribble. If somebody like Hamilton is operating out of a ball screen at the top of the key, allow Miller to set the high ball screen, roll towards the paint, and station Brimah as a lurker along the baseline.

Moreover, utilizing a big man as a ball screener allows him to establish post position easier. Screening forces your defender to engage in the screening action, meaning Miller can slip to the block unscathed. Swing the ball from the top of the key to the strong side, and suddenly the post entry is a lot easier.

3. Match-ups - assuming we make the tournament - will be vital, simply because our front court defense often vacillates between dominant and average based on opposing personnel. Miller, for instance, is a valuable defensive piece who can guard the ball well and switch onto guards, but when he's stuck with a dangerous pick and pop big, he tends to veer too far off. Against a team like Villanova (four out), UConn would likely switch 1-4, soft hedge 1-5 screens, and force Villanova to hit enough shots over Brimah to win.

You go up against a team like Duke where Ingram is playing the four and popping weak side, it could be trouble for UConn defending ball screens (though I'd imagine they'd score on the other end, too). Iowa would be tough, too.

4. One of the prevailing flaws of this team concerns the ability of our guards to get their shots off quickly. Purvis and Gibbs are effective set shooters, but I don't think they're guys who can get accurate shots off in tight windows.

The NCAAT is a ways away. For now, I'm worried about the conference tournament. Yes, I know that's not for another couple weeks, but this UConn team can mend a lot of wounds during three days in Orlando. There is not a team there we should not beat. We haven't played our best basketball, but fortunately, there is still plenty of time. If we can condense each possession from every game into carefully negotiated chess matches, we are going to very likely win.

Someone complained about the Thursday/Saturday turnaround in a previous post and my thought is that the schedule was made that way by design. This late in the season it was a good experience of what tournament play will be like. If SMU/Cincy is any predictor we just flamed out in the second round and did not make the Sweet 16

Reaction Score
Isaiah Thomas all star . Kemba Walker near all star and 5'11. But I agree ulis isn't as talented as those two . Just a great college pg a la Dee brown .

And to @champs99and04 , brimah is the primary ball screener IMO ( or atlesst should be) because otherwise the offense is operating 4v5. He could never in his life catch the ball and create within the arc ( in Iso). Let AB roll hard to the paint because he's actually an above average offensive rebounder .

Just coach better schemes to get your best players the ball in ideal spots , like Miller anywhere in the arc . better off ball movement and exchanges that keep the defense engaged leaving Miller room to operate off simple entry passes

I may have misspoke. I don't want Brimah catching the ball and creating. At that particular skill (catching and making a play off a ball screen trap), I have to think Miller is better than Brimah.

To me, Brimah's greatest value as an offensive player is his ability to immobilize the backside help defender. I think that can be accomplished, though, in multiple ways. One way to do it is to use him as a ball screener and have him roll...but then defenses just hard hedge it, the back man pinches up, and we don't reverse the ball fast enough to capitalize on that. I'll see if I can find a screen shot to represent what I'm trying to say.

What's really holding the offense back is the fact that there's no ideal screener on the roster. Hamilton's too thin, Brimah's a non-starter as far as making plays in traffic, and Miller probably isn't quite good enough making plays off the bounce (though his tape from Cornell would suggest he has more of that in him than we've seen). Because of this, the staff has resorted to a lot of circle action.

Reaction Score
@James this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It didn't take me long to find. Ellis knows that Calhoun isn't threading a bounce pass to Brimah in this spot, so he's free to trap. But what if you swapped Miller and Brimah? Now Miller has the ball in the middle of the floor with options. You've got Gibbs on the left wing if Cobb sags down to stop penetration. If Clark moves off Brimah (who hypothetically would take Miller's place) then it's an easy lob dunk. Clearly, Miller's not the best passer in the world, but these are fairly elementary reads that he would make better than Brimah, IMO.

upload_2016-2-23_20-56-39.png

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 its true , in a basic high screen in role if the screener isn't an scoring option or bone crushing screener+passer, he allows the defense to play 5v4.(shrink the floor coaches term).

In my head , I was thinking it could be the only thing to maximize ABs value on the offensive end ... But idk it's clear his breads buttered as a rim protector and that's it .

This is why brimah and Miller should be staggered 3-5 min into the half, get the small ball look going as soon as possible.(instead Ollie likes going big with Nolan+facey) Frankly someone like Calhoun should get more looks at the '4' as a screener, I'm certain he fared well back in the day vs cj fair. He also LOVES catch n shoots (unlike our other stretch 4s).

Having said all that the offense is still garbage until they start playing like a unit and cutting with purpose . In college it's easier to pack the paint , subtle offball exchanges can mean the world to an otherwise useless offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The NCAA is all about attendance and $$$$, expect to see uconn, Nova and Cuse, if they make it in the NYC pod.

Reaction Score
We all know that we can beat any team on a given night. We make the tourney but our inconsistency will do us in. We may win a game or 2 but eventually we'll have a bad night and get eliminated. Maybe they will get better at making in game adjustments but that hasn't been the pattern during the regular season.

Reaction Score
We all know that we can beat any team on a given night. We make the tourney but our inconsistency will do us in. We may win a game or 2 but eventually we'll have a bad night and get eliminated. Maybe they will get better at making in game adjustments but that hasn't been the pattern during the regular season.

Reaction Score
I think Uconn is headed to at least the sweet 16, look for them to really start to come on.

A big indication will be the AAC tournament, they should win that and they should be the favorites with SMU not being in it.

If they can win that and build the confidence I see them winning at least 2 games in the NCAA tournament and possibly cutting down the nets to make it to the final four.

I really like the talent on this team, I am hoping they just need a little more time to gel and put everything together.

Adams is really starting to come on and Ollie is a wonderful coach!

Uconn will be very dangerous the further they go and the more confidence they gain!!

Reaction Score
If anyone can predict this team's success in the Tourney, then they should immediately head to Foxwoods. We are unpredictable, uncertain and inconsistent. That is who we are now and will be next month.

Its not a dead end thing as we know from 2014 and to a lesser extent 2011. However I really don't see a FF product only because we don't have a desperately needed AA (or even candidate) and a bona fide leader. Fortunately we all know what a final four product looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom