Some Thoughts on the Big Dance | The Boneyard

Some Thoughts on the Big Dance

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Getting through the season was never a given this year. Back in November when WBB made its first tentative steps toward a season fraught with uncertainty, I must confess that I never really believed we would make it to this point. I am absolutely delighted that we are here. The coaches, players and support staff deserve enormous credit for overcoming the many obstacles they faced throughout this incredibly challenging season. With that said, I have a few thoughts on the Big Dance.

The pandemic is not over yet – It is my sincere hope that we get through the Big Dance without a single team reporting a positive covid test. But just this past week the Men’s ACC tournament was thrown into disarray when both Duke and #1 Seed UVA forfeited due to positive covid tests. Closer to home, Geno’s positive test on Sunday, after receiving both vaccinations, and Shea’s departure from TX after a family member tested positive were both extremely unsettling. 64 teams are in TX to compete in a semi-bubble environment. It only takes one positive test for a team to be out of the tournament.

Staying focused for 3 weeks – The teams that make it to the FF will not only have to play great basketball and get a few breaks along the way, but they will also need to maintain their focus over a 3-week period, living out of a suitcase in their hotel rooms, attending classes remotely and avoiding anyone outside of Tier 1 team members and personnel. This will require some serious discipline and emotional strength. Teams will need to rely on each other more than ever. For UConn, spending the first week of the tournament without their HC and an AC will be yet another hurdle to overcome.

There will be upsets – There is anywhere from 8-10 teams capable of winning the tournament this year, unlike previous years when you could typically point to a couple teams that were head and shoulders above everyone else. In addition, there are another 10-15 teams capable of pulling 1 or 2 upsets along the way. The biggest single advantage for the top 16 seeds is gone: no home court advantage in front of cheering fans for the first 2 rounds of the tournament. There are no regional locations close to home, unless you’re from TX. UConn will not play in either of their two homes away from home: Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport or the Times-Union Center in Albany.

One team will make it through this gauntlet of unprecedented challenges to win six games and carry home the national championship trophy. I got my money on the team with 7 freshmen, no seniors and a HC who is quarantining until the 3rd round of the tournament.

Reaction Score
"One team will make it through this gauntlet of unprecedented challenges to win six games and carry home the national championship trophy. I got my money on the team with 7 freshmen, no seniors and a HC who is quarantining until the 3rd round of the tournament."

Nice post @oldude. I just realized that UCONN has zero PAC-12 Teams in their bracket? Not sure how that happens with 6 PAC-12 Teams in the tournament this year, but in my mind that increases UCONN's chances to reach the F4

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"One team will make it through this gauntlet of unprecedented challenges to win six games and carry home the national championship trophy. I got my money on the team with 7 freshmen, no seniors and a HC who is quarantining until the 3rd round of the tournament."

Nice post @oldude. I just realized that UCONN has zero PAC-12 Teams in their bracket? Not sure how that happens with 6 PAC-12 Teams in the tournament this year, but in my mind that increases UCONN's chances to reach the F4
I would happily trade Baylor for any Pac-12 team other than the one from Palo Alto.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First and foremost, I'm hoping that the tournament gets played without a Covid-related forfeit.

Then I'm hoping for Louisville, UConn, and NC State in the Final Four - "my" team and the other two teams that I've most enjoyed watching this season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
First and foremost, I'm hoping that the tournament gets played without a Covid-related forfeit.

Then I'm hoping for Louisville, UConn, and NC State in the Final Four - "my" team and the other two teams that I've most enjoyed watching this season.
I would be thrilled if Louisville knocked off Stanford, who I view as the toughest potential opponent in the tournament.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This can be the most exciting tournament in its history. So many teams can actually win this, not like in the past when maybe 3 or 4 had a real chance. Its so wide open that there's a possibility that none of the #1 seeds are really guaranteed to make it to the final four. Its just sad that the fans have to miss out on this years dance. I have to congratulate the TV networks for televising every game this year. This is unprecedented in the womens game and hopefully will continue in the years to come. I just pray that every team is safe and have a chance to perform for all of us to see and celebrate.
GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
There are no regional locations close to home, unless you’re from TX. UConn will not play in either of their two homes away from home: Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport or the Times-Union Center in Albany.

One team will make it through this gauntlet of unprecedented challenges to win six games and carry home the national championship trophy. I got my money on the team with 7 freshmen, no seniors and a HC who is quarantining until the 3rd round of the tournament.
Not to mention the friendly confines of Mohegan Sun Arena. Have they ever lost there?

Reaction Score
They need to go a weekend at a time and a game at a time. Build momentum from the first game and be consistent and dont lose it. Win these first two games for their 2 leaders! So they can help win the following weekend games. Only deal with what you can control at the time it appears. One weekend, 2 days and one game at a time! Keep it simple and have a great weekend!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The only concern right now should be High Point. Loose to High Point and the rest of the discussion doesn't matter.

One day at a time, one game at a time.

Reaction Score
6 games of no foul trouble for ONO and AE is on my wish list!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom