Some observations from SMU game that may not have been seen on tv | The Boneyard

Some observations from SMU game that may not have been seen on tv

Reaction Score
1) Got there early and saw SMU guys warmup... boy they were making most of their shots. They weren't just making their shots, they were getting nothing but nylon type of shots.

2) Nothing surprising but during UConn's layup lines I am always impressed with the springs that Kentan and Durham have in their legs. Those guys can fly. Have to believe Kentan will get some looks by some NBA teams, he has all the tools.

3) Don't know how it came off on tv, but the crowd was awesome. It got really loud and you could feel the buzz in the crowd even before tip off. Hat off to UConn faithful. Nearly 14k cheering wildly for a .500 team in a game in which we were losing by double digits for the most part, not sure how many schools have that type of fan base.

4) During the home games I always take a peek at the bench to see the players' mood and the coaching that goes on on the sidelines. One thing that I really like about many of our young guys especially Vance, Vital, and Enoch is the fact they never talk back to the coaches and never show any signs of attitude or disrespect. Sometimes Ollie rips into them pretty good. At the end of the 1st half Vance gave up a rebound and as they were walking to the locker rooms Ollie really really ripped into Vance. Vance didn't say anything back but just nodded his head. Really happy to see players (especially in this generation) taking criticism from coaches in stride and giving coaches the respect one shows for their own parents. I hope as new recruits come in the young guys can establish that culture were talking back to coaches is never acceptable with the understanding that the coaches yell because they want the best for them and expect the best out of them. While Jalen's maturity and attitude has improved significantly since last year, you can still see bouts of him talking back to the coaches and showing some attitude. He is on the right path but he still has some work to do and could learn some from the freshmen too.

5) Rodney looked devastated at the end of the game. He wanted this game really bad. That guy bleeds blue, and I think it was one of the reasons why he took so many shots. The past 8-9 games he was playing really well by not forcing his offense and being patient, but yesterday he was pressing. He just wanted to deliver for the UConn faithful and took it very personally when the game ended. Yes he's had his frustrating moments but really happy that he is a husky.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
l

5) Rodney looked devastated at the end of the game. He wanted this game really bad. That guy bleeds blue, and I think it was one of the reasons why he took so many shots. The past 8-9 games he was playing really well by not forcing his offense and being patient, but yesterday he was pressing. He just wanted to deliver for the UConn faithful and took it very personally when the game ended. Yes he's had his frustrating moments but really happy that he is a husky.
I hope Rodney goes thermonuclear during the tournament.

Reaction Score
There was always some hesitation in our players, even with the open shots. A lot of it was a matter of confidence. On Vance's 3 in the second half, you could see him going up smoothly even with a defender in his face. Very different from the 3 he took earlier, which had a lot more arc than his normal shot.

Reaction Score
I got to go down courtside for one of the shooting competitions and Ojeleye is scarrrrry big. Haven't seen someone like him since Patrick Young of Florida a few years back.

Reaction Score
I was also down at courtside pre-game and agree with AfgHusky15 -- SMU was hitting everything and Uconn certainly more mixed. As Ricky Moore was feeding passes to the shooters, the one spot the Huskies seemed to make every one in warmups was the corner 3. I don't remember an excessive amount of corner 3s (Vance, Purvis, and Vital seem to prefer the top of the key or on the wing) but that seemed to be the honeyhole in warmups.

Reaction Score
I had a 5 row back floor seat for a first and was taken back how small RP is, but impressed with his stamina and will....and same for the killer V's.
I challenge these coaches to understand that Enoch should be a number one off season development project for next year....full time
This guy needs a double shot of Freeman, an injection of Adrien, and a hit off Hilton, and whatever it takes.....make this man....THE MAN!
We will certainly have enough perimeter and slashing play.....we need that force and Enoch can fill it....

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I had a 5 row back floor seat for a first and was taken back how small RP is, but impressed with his stamina and will....and same for the killer V's.
I challenge these coaches to understand that Enoch should be a number one off season development project for next year....full time
This guy needs a double shot of Freeman, an injection of Adrien, and a hit off Hilton, and whatever it takes.....make this man....THE MAN!
We will certainly have enough perimeter and slashing play.....we need that force and Enoch can fill it....

I don't know how Rodney is seen as small. He's a tank.

I will tell you one guy whose size doesn't translate as well to TV. Facey. He's a monster up close. As tall as brimah and jacked

Reaction Score
It's really up to Steve. I don't know if he's a gym rat or not but a good 4 to 5 hours a day working on his game during the summer would probably yield amazing results. He has talent. I feel it's all about desire with him. Does Emeka every work out with the team? A week or two with Okafor and I bet Enoch becomes a much better player

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I got to go down courtside for one of the shooting competitions and Ojeleye is scarrrrry big. Haven't seen someone like him since Patrick Young of Florida a few years back.
If I was a GM drafting near the end of the first round I'd take him and groom him to be an obscenely rich man's PJ Tucker. Dude has all the tools to be an elite 3-and-D guy who can guard 1-through-4.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I feel it's all about desire with him.
I think it's about game reps, more than anything else. In a more perfect world he'd be redshirting this year as a freshman with Govan putting up 13/8 every night and Amida off the bench.

Does Emeka every work out with the team? A week or two with Okafor and I bet Enoch becomes a much better player
Worth noting that Killings worked with Emeka in Charlotte.

Reaction Score
I don't know how Rodney is seen as small. He's a tank.

I will tell you one guy whose size doesn't translate as well to TV. Facey. He's a monster up close. As tall as brimah and jacked

Until Kentan stands next to Ojeleye, who makes him seem undernourished. I think his full name is Semi-truck Ojeleye.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom