Some observations from Memphis game that tv may not have captured | The Boneyard

Some observations from Memphis game that tv may not have captured

Reaction Score
Was fortunate enough to be able to go to the Memphis game sitting close to the court. I love going to the home games and its always amazing how much more you see live on the court both when the game clock is running and when the play clock is stopped.

Thought I'd share some observations that may not have been captured on tv:

1) When Jalen had the ball with under a minute left and ended up turning the ball over, he was clearly upset with himself. I mean everyone was pretty disappointed, but one man who was not was KO. During the ensuing Memphis timeout, KO stormed to mid-court not to chastise him but to lend him support and encouragement, the rest of the players followed him out there too. Very much like a shepherd leading his flock. He met Jalen at mid-court and encouraged him, and Jalen put his arm around him to lean on him. Beautiful moment. The bond between the players and coaches is really based on love and loyalty, and that is pretty special...that is very UConn.

2) After Vital's break away dunk, Memphis had 20 + seconds to tie the game. The Memphis players brought up the ball, and the crowd got very loud, so loud that the Memphis players could not hear or see Tubby yelling for a timeout. The crowd helped take off nearly 10 seconds of game time before Memphis called timeout. Its moments like those that a home crowd really becomes a factor. Not a full house on Thursday but nonetheless an electric crowd.

3) This is not in chronological order, but late in the game Jalen was bringing the ball up to call a timeout, and was staring at the ref yelling "timeout, timeout" and for some reason the ref just would not blow his whistle. A Memphis player nearly stole the ball before the ref ultimately did call a timeout, but Jalen was pretty upset. The ref then tried to stare down Adams and walked after him, after Jalen was walking away from him, as though looking for a confrontation. Completely immature and unprofessional. The AAC/SEC pool of refs are arguably the worst. In the same game the refs didn't call an injury timeout when Adams and Vital were practically lying motionless on the floor for several seconds, they didn't call an injury timeout until KO had to yell at them for several seconds to make them realize his guys were injured.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
As rough as this season has been, I never got the sense that the players stopped listening to Ollie or believing in themselves.

These guys could have completely unraveled but they didn't. We may not be a good team but these guys are fighters and they're improving under Ollie -- and that all bodes very well for next year when Gilbert, Larrier, Diarra, Polley, Carlton and MAL join (or re-join) the team.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
In the same game the refs didn't call an injury timeout when Adams and Vital were practically lying motionless on the floor for several seconds, they didn't call an injury timeout until KO had to yell at them for several seconds to make them realize his guys were injured.

This drove me nuts. One ref was STARING at them on the floor and didn't call timeout. We HAD the ball too. Looked like Ollie was yelling at them to call the injury stoppage. Just crazy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have felt from day one in this hell-hole of a league that the refs favor barbarian basketball. UConn shines when we get away from them.

Go back to that Oregon game, which we lost by 10 in our second game without Laurier and Gilbert. That's pretty freaking impressive. For four years now, UConn has played better away from AAC refs. Cinci is usually the opposite. These refs are perfect for their style.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom