Some Notes from Creighton game | The Boneyard

Some Notes from Creighton game

Reaction Score
I wanted to share some thoughts about yesterday's win against Creighton

1. UConn got lucky that Creighton couldn't hit the 3s in the second half. Defense must be better
2. UConn has to find a way to stop fouling. Especially teams that are good at free throws
3. UConn needs to work on free throws

Let's go UConn. Come on brothers get the job done

Reaction Score

1. UConn got lucky that Creighton couldn't hit the 3s in the second half. Defense must be better
2. UConn has to find a way to stop fouling. Especially teams that are good at free throws

Scheierman was launching 3s from beyond NBA range because Jackson locked him down. Other than the missed open 3 in the corner near the end of the half the defense was exceptional. Unsure why you think it needs work? They force Creighton to go 2/17 from 3 and they need to do better? I’m sorry they didn’t go 0/17, so they must have terrible D.

Reaction Score

Little secret:. Real good defense causes teams to shoot a lower 3 point %

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Creighton got lucky UCONN missed open threes. Everything seems to be luck

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
One issue from defense is not necessarily allowing the open 3s, but dribble penetration by guards. I'm not sure what the solution is except playing zone, or Diarra getting more minutes as he is better at moving his feet. It would help to have rim protection of course , so more minutes for DC or getting SJ back.

Reaction Score
If you’re pushing out the three shooter then dribble pentratrabtion is bound to happen
We really don’t seem to have the shot blockers we’ve had playing that clean up role except DC.
Brimah, Whaley, Akok , even Carlton were more adept at D
Jackson’s a shot blocker but he is playing on the perimeter, maybe Johnson will bring that dimension back .
Sanogo has some ability but he is more of an offensive threat
The good news is Jackson is tough to beat on the dribble

Reaction Score
One issue from defense is not necessarily allowing the open 3s, but dribble penetration by guards. I'm not sure what the solution is except playing zone, or Diarra getting more minutes as he is better at moving his feet. It would help to have rim protection of course , so more minutes for DC or getting SJ back.

We pressure the ball and give up some drives. If we play in a packline more (still forcing baseline), we can take away the drive, but will give up more 3s. It's a give and a take. Not everyone can be Andre and defend both.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Fouls were pretty equal between teams and not horrific compared to the previous two games. But this is subjective.

Not sure what happened in the Creighton game that makes you think we should work on free throws when we shot 19-23, an 82.6% rate.

Providence and Xavier were lucky we were not hitting open threes. There is a reason for home court advantage. Fans and noise do matter. I felt our three point coverage was outstanding this game. Scheierman had open looks but the rest of the players were very well guarded on the perimeter. We stopped a major component of their game. The downside was more driving to the basket and our players fouling because we played them very tightly on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Little secret:. Real good defense causes teams to shoot a lower 3 point %
I guarantee you that Creighton shoots better than 12.5% from 3 in the rematch.

Anyone want to take that bet? (I’ll even give you o/u 20%)

You all seem so confident that our defense shut them down from 3, we should be able to do it again.

Reaction Score

You all seem so confident that our defense shut them down from 3, we should be able to do it again.
Wow so you think creighton will shoot better at home? That’s some groundbreaking stuff

Reaction Score
Add any home/away shooting variance to the 12.5% and they’ll still shoot better than that.
Not sure what you’re getting at here? Are you trying to say UConn being top 5 in the country in defending the 3 all season is a fluke? That’s what we do

Reaction Score

This is well said and I could not agree more. To only beat a team who averages almost 10 3’s a game (good for 1st in the conference) by 9 shows that unless UConn plays an outstanding game defense with minimal turnovers - like yesterday - it will be tough to defeat them again. If CU hits just 5/16, it’s a tie game.

Reaction Score
This is well said and I could not agree more. To only beat a team who averages almost 10 3’s a game (good for 1st in the conference) by 9 shows that unless UConn plays an outstanding game defense with minimal turnovers - like yesterday - it will be tough to defeat them again. If CU hits just 5/16, it’s a tie game.
You people are delusional….are you really UConn fans? Do you not think UConn being the one of the best 3D teams in the country has something to do with it? Maybe AJax suffocating scheierman made a difference? Come on now

Reaction Score

I’m also in the camp of thinking Creighton missed a lot of open threes, but we also missed good looks. I remember Hawkins and Newton both missed wide open 15 foot jumpers, Newton missed a wide open 3 in crunch time, and Joey missed all of his shots

I expect Creighton to shoot way better than 2-16 next time, but I also expect us to shoot better than 35% FG

Reaction Score
Guess what? We shot one of worst 2pt and 3pt efforts at home all season.

If we shoot even one standard deviation closer to our average, we still win by 9.

I also bet we shoot better in the rematch too.

We can play this “what if” game all day.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was a good win no doubt
UConn needs to stop the lazy D that leads to silly fouls - the fouls are getting out of hand
Rebounding was horrendous - only when DC was in did they resemble a team that could hit the boards. Both teams had shooting woes so there were a lot of long rebounds to be had
Every team this year has had bad shooting games and Creighton only had 4 baskets in the second half - can't see why UConn didn't blow them out by 20plus.
AS had a really good game where he is comfortable - within 3 feet of the hoop. Kalkbrenner is either a worse defender than we all thought or AS just had his number - maybe a combo of both but UConn needed AS to score and he responded.
JoeyC needs to get his shot back

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I'm curious: who chose you?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

I literally said this to my brother while in the stands. My words were “if this game was at Creighton, more of these 3’s would be dropping.”

Reaction Score
Some of this “analysis” is nuts. We’ve been an outstanding defensive team this year. One of the reasons is we defend against the three, and force teams to either take less threes or be in their faces and hold them to a lower percentage.

Newsflash for some of you — if you focus your D on denying 3s at and past the line, that means you’re tight on your man, and moving towards him, a long way from the basket. That means you’re going to get beat on the dribble, and maybe commit a foul, more than you would if you didn’t play the shooters so tight 22 feet from the basket.

This isn’t rocket science. We’ve been an outstanding defensive team over the course of the season, and the way we’ve gotten there is taking away the 3. Whining about what you have to give up to do so when what you are doing is working seems bizarre.

caw

Reaction Score
Add any home/away shooting variance to the 12.5% and they’ll still shoot better than that.

Err not sure you want that.

Creighton was:
4-27 @ Texas
4-20 @ Marquette
2-16 @ UConn (espn box score says 16 not 17, that’s what I went with)

15.8% in road games.

That are all of their road games.

Now haven’t checked neutral games but in total they are at 35.3% from three.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom