some insight | The Boneyard

some insight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/11/28/louisville-acc-big-east-rick-pitino/1731501/

Ron Butt, a member of the board of trustees, said that he informally lobbied Jurich to find the Cardinals a home in the ACC.

"To which he would reply, 'Ron, they haven't invited us," Butt said in a telephone interview.
Then, on the morning of Nov. 17, Jurich learned that Rutgers and Maryland were expected to join the Big Ten. Suddenly, the situation became more urgent, the opportunity more realistic.

"That ended up being the break that we needed," Jurich said.

Jurich canceled his trip to the Bahamas, where Louisville's basketball team was playing in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, and he combed through the contact list he had gathered over 24 years as an athletic director.

Reaction Score
While Jurich was working his magic - our boy Manuel was eating twinkees in the carribbean sun. What a joke

Reaction Score
We need to know for sure! Was it twinkees or donuts? Enough with the cloak and dagger . We want the facts goddamnit.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
While Jurich was working his magic - our boy Manuel was eating twinkees in the carribbean sun. What a joke
The joke was hiring a young, untested AD during turbulent times. Can't really blame Warde for not being ready to joust with a chess master like Jurich. Blame whoever hired him.

Reaction Score
We need to know for sure! Was it twinkees or donuts? Enough with the cloak and dagger ****. We want the facts goddamnit.

Why not Twinkie donuts?

DSC_0189_thumb2.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Jurich canceled his trip; Manuel decided to extend his by starting it two days earlier.

If one was using the type of "optics" to evaluate Manuel that he is using to evaluate Ollie, what would you say about Manuel's ability to handle his job?

I am aware of three major responsibilities he has had during the nine-plus months he's been on the job: (1) Position us favorably for conference realignment; (2) hire men's basketball coach; and (3) evaluate current football coach.

(1) Misread the situation, contributed to poorer perception of UConn athletics.
(2) Punted. No decision. Incomplete. Creating perception of instability in the meantime.
(3) Punted. No decision. Incomplete. Creating perception of "small time" football aspirations in the meantime.

I welcome any different or additional information about his job performance thus far.

Reaction Score
Jurich canceled his trip; Manuel decided to extend his by starting it two days earlier.

If one was using the type of "optics" to evaluate Manuel that he is using to evaluate Ollie, what would you say about Manuel's ability to handle his job?

I am aware of three major responsibilities he has had during the nine-plus months he's been on the job: (1) Position us favorably for conference realignment; (2) hire men's basketball coach; and (3) evaluate current football coach.

(2) Punted. No decision. Incomplete. Creating perception of instability in the meantime.
(3) Punted. No decision. Incomplete. Creating perception of "small time" football aspirations in the meantime.

I welcome any different or additional information about his job performance thus far.

That's it. For him, there is no excuse. However, I don't think he had the contacts to do anything anyway.

This was a job for Lew Perkins. Despite Lew's minor issues at Kansas, Lou was the guy we needed to come back in for a few years and handle this. I was begging for it. Jurich and Luck are on a different level. Lew is on that level, Manuel is not.

Reaction Score
Don't you guys get it!!!! Sue and Warde have no intentions for us joining ACC, they want us to join the B1G. Warde could care less about the ACC. Sue and Warde keep saying we are doing whats best for UConn,well thats joining B1G.

Reaction Score
Don't you guys get it!!!! Sue and Warde have no intentions for us joining ACC, they want us to join the B1G. Warde could care less about the ACC. Sue and Warde keep saying we are doing whats best for UConn,well thats joining B1G.

What's best is to join the ACC then leave for the B10 when asked.

Reaction Score
your kidding yourself if you dont think we would have jumped to the ACC in a heartbeat. Believe they wanted to go - they just didnt show the ACC how much they wanted to go. I wonder if they are as pissed off as I am right now

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That would be a great theory, Pete.

Except for the fact that the B1G has zero interest in UConn. Think about for a second: We got passed over, again, by the weakest of the remaining "major" football conferences because of the widely-held perception that our football program is not ready for prime time. Why in the world would the strongest of the remaining major conferences want anything to do with us--especially when we also fail to satisfy its two additional stated criteria of AAU membership and contiguous footprint?

We are a better fit with America East than we are with the B1G. The ACC is our only chance for an upgrade, and it will only happen when and if the ACC gets downgraded enough itself to have no other option but us. Feel better now?

Reaction Score

Except for the fact that the B1G has zero interest in UConn. Think about for a second: We got passed over, again, by the weakest of the remaining "major" football conferences because of the widely-held perception that our football program is not ready for prime time. Why in the world would the strongest of the remaining major conferences want anything to do with us--especially when we also fail to satisfy its two additional stated criteria of AAU membership and contiguous footprint?

We are a better fit with America East than we are with the B1G. The ACC is our only chance for an upgrade, and it will only happen when and if the ACC gets downgraded enough itself to have no other option but us. Feel better now?

I used it think what you are saying 8893. But after Rutgers...We have a shot. We need to join AAU and then find a major sponsor to expand the Rent to 60,000 to 65,000 seats. I know we can't sell seats now, but we have to send a message that we are serious, if you build it they will come.

Reaction Score
Could be that they didn't give a duck*. To me if they wanted it they would have flown back to ct in a heartbeat and started working the angle. Then they come out with this lame response to try and cheer us up. Either that or warde is just a Twinkie toting tool who just cares more about suckin down milkshakes in the sun than his job at uconn.

Suzie has done more for uconn in 18 months than the last few presidents did. I trust her hire and her judgment.

Reaction Score

This wasn't a choice of Jurich vs. Manuel. Louisville has a better national perception of its football program, period. Once FSU and Clemson, and probably VaTech, got behind them there wasn't much we could do. You can rant and rant that it was Manuel's fault, but I'm not buying into that argument. If anything, it all goes back to Hathaway's failure to manage and promote the football program after Edsall left.

What exactly was it that Manuel should've done to sway the ACC?

Reaction Score

actually, the theory is that we got passed over because the ACC believes that we have no other options. UofL was a target for Big12. If the ACC didn't take them now, they may not have been there. The feeling by the ACC is that Uconn will always be there.

We can complain, point fingers, and put our head in the sand. That just doesn't cut it... The only thing we as fans can do is to continue providing support and loyalty to the Uconn programs.

Reaction Score
What do you want him to do with the football program? Fire a guy after winning at least 5 games in two straight years. List all of the coaches who have been fired after winning 5 games two straight years.

Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/11/28/louisville-acc-big-east-rick-pitino/1731501/

Ron Butt, a member of the board of trustees, said that he informally lobbied Jurich to find the Cardinals a home in the ACC.

"To which he would reply, 'Ron, they haven't invited us," Butt said in a telephone interview.
Then, on the morning of Nov. 17, Jurich learned that Rutgers and Maryland were expected to join the Big Ten. Suddenly, the situation became more urgent, the opportunity more realistic.

"That ended up being the break that we needed," Jurich said.

Jurich canceled his trip to the Bahamas, where Louisville's basketball team was playing in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, and he combed through the contact list he had gathered over 24 years as an athletic director.

I found this Tweet interesting - he didn't need to go. he had Pitino do some work.

ericcrawford Nov 28, 7:28pm via TweetDeck
#UofL coach Rick Pitino said he and Mike Krzyzewski had a lengthy conversation about ACC in the Bahamas. "Mike was all-in with Louisville."

At the same time +/- day(s) - WM is in St. Thomas with the AD from Wake Forest @ the Paradise Jam. Business can be conducted anywhere these days, especially if it's phone work. We didn't get "snubbed" becuase WM was in St. Thomas but I do concede it makes him an easy target for criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom