Some guy on Sid, doghouses, Hurley and Geno | The Boneyard

Some guy on Sid, doghouses, Hurley and Geno

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good read. Seems like some guy is doing more reporting and less editorializing these days, which is a welcome change imo:

Jeff Jacobs: Hurley, Geno on how a Husky gets in and out of the doghouse

“I look like somebody who holds a grudge,” Hurley said. “I’m not really like that. When you’re able to change things about yourself that you harp upon, either habits, or how you carry yourself, or your playing style and how conducive it is to us winning — when I start to see those little changes and start to see guys really trying, I jump. I’m in your corner quickly.

“When you’re not responding to our pleas to change, obviously I don’t think I’m an easy person to deal with. When you start showing me you want to change and be better, I’m with you. I want you out of the doghouse. I want a vacancy. I don’t want you in there.”

“There are not a lot of fiery players on this team,” Hurley said. “There’s more ice than fire as far as personalities. This team desperately needs Christian’s confidence, his fire, his passion, his emotion. This isn’t an emotional team. There are a lot of quiet guys. He has impressed, to this point, the entire staff.

Across the building, Geno Auriemma considers Hurley’s fire, passion, emotion. He smiles.

“How long do you think Danny is going to last?” the Hall of Fame coach joked. “Man, I love watching him. He puts everything into every play.”

Reaction Score
Now this quote reminds me of another UConn coach:

“He wants me to defend and bring energy to the team, and whatever happens on offense happens.”

Loving the defensive priority, especially for earning minutes and staying on the court. Interesting also that we are scoring a lot of points, so offensively we are producing (so far). Also read yesterday how Hurley is pulling Vital (and others) after bad shot selections. He's running a team without an 'I'.

Its good to see that Jalen and others have brought completely in to Hurley's plan, message and vision. Its also evident the coaching staff have as well. Tom Moore will be unleashed on the scouting/recruiting trail with some powerful ammunition.

The ship is certainly turning and looks to reach port much quicker than expected. Last couple of years I was down below pacing in the cabin seasick. I know a lot of us are on up on deck enjoying the views, even though we can't see the shore. But I see the lighthouse light which means we're heading in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Can't wait to see how Sid Wilson impacts the game on both offense and defense. Certainly will getting more minutes as the season rolls on. To quote someone here on the Boneyard, don't remember who, "we just added another 4 star wing" seven games in. Wilson has had a year to mature in all respects, and once he shakes off the rust should be a difference maker.

Reaction Score
Can't wait to see how Sid Wilson impacts the game on both offense and defense. Certainly will getting more minutes as the season rolls on. To quote someone here on the Boneyard, don't remember who, "we just added another 4 star wing" seven games in. Wilson has had a year to mature in all respects, and once he shakes off the rust should be a difference maker.
This isn’t a dig at you, but I keep seeing posts about “shaking the rust off”... I could be mistaken but hasn’t he been practicing with the team for a year and a half now?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
“He wants me to defend and bring energy to the team, and whatever happens on offense happens.” Loving the defensive priority, especially for earning minutes and staying on the court. ...... Also read yesterday how Hurley is pulling Vital (and others) after bad shot selections. He's running a team without an 'I'..

Classic JC.

“I look like somebody who holds a grudge,” Hurley said. “I’m not really like that. .......when I start to see those little changes and start to see guys really trying, I jump. I’m in your corner quickly. When you’re not responding to our pleas to change, obviously I don’t think I’m an easy person to deal with. When you start showing me you want to change and be better, I’m with you. I want you out of the doghouse. I want a vacancy. I don’t want you in there.”

This is not so much like JC. Getting out of JC's doghouse was like climbing out of the bowels of hell.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

“He wants me to defend and bring energy to the team, and whatever happens on offense happens.”

Loving the defensive priority, especially for earning minutes and staying on the court. Interesting also that we are scoring a lot of points, so offensively we are producing (so far). Also read yesterday how Hurley is pulling Vital (and others) after bad shot selections. He's running a team without an 'I'.

Its good to see that Jalen and others have brought completely in to Hurley's plan, message and vision. Its also evident the coaching staff have as well. Tom Moore will be unleashed on the scouting/recruiting trail with some powerful ammunition.

The ship is certainly turning and looks to reach port much quicker than expected. Last couple of years I was down below pacing in the cabin seasick. I know a lot of us are on up on deck enjoying the views, even though we can't see the shore. But I see the lighthouse light which means we're heading in the right direction.

We don't want it back in port. That's like a train never leaving the station.

We want it to sail around the MFing world and no longer be adrift.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
To me, this is the most telling line of the article:

“Sid’s a talented guy. He has got to practice at such a high level that he climbs above people who are ahead of him on the depth chart. He took a good step toward that today the second half of practice. He’s got to keep going.”

It's all out there for Sid. He could get 25-30 minutes per game, and take minutes from those ahead of him. But it's all up to him to earn it.

C

Chief00

Chief loves Coach Moore but we also have a couple other assistants that can recruit. Pure recruiting Coach Young may be the best.

Reaction Score
To me, this is the most telling line of the article:

“Sid’s a talented guy. He has got to practice at such a high level that he climbs above people who are ahead of him on the depth chart. He took a good step toward that today the second half of practice. He’s got to keep going.”

It's all out there for Sid. He could get 25-30 minutes per game, and take minutes from those ahead of him. But it's all up to him to earn it.
We don’t know about Sid’s toughness yet. Skinny like Rip is OK as long as there’s a motor with toughness. What I will watch for is he sturdy enough to defend players that have 25 pounds on him? And that is a small forward who only weighs 200. He really has long arms. What’s his wingspan?

Reaction Score
I liked your post for the literary effort. But seeing the lighthouse light means you're heading for the rocks.

I like to think the lighthouse implies our “ship” is about to arrive... think AkAk

Reaction Score
I liked your post for the literary effort. But seeing the lighthouse light means you're heading for the rocks.
I never knew. Makes sense, can't build it on water. Actually thought it indicated land location. Meaning ship destination in sight.

Obviously I'm a landlubber.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
This isn’t a dig at you, but I keep seeing posts about “shaking the rust off”... I could be mistaken but hasn’t he been practicing with the team for a year and a half now?

Exactly what @8893 chimed in with. Game experience is different than practice. Look at how much better some of the players are playing already this year after seven games. You can see the progress.

Reaction Score
Maybe some Rustoleum is in order at this point

Reaction Score
Am-Am commitment is HUGE. Worst case scenario we’re running lineups of AG,Bouk/CV, Sid, AK-Ak & Carlton. Best case it’s AG, CV, PA, AK & Kofi..... any mixture in between is gravy too. I am confident for the first time/long time that we are going to put talent on the floor that is matched with coaching that leads to success. (Any of these situations leaves us with a bench that has potential to start and win games at a D1 level....gaffney, BA, Sid, Polley, Diarra)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Chief loves Coach Moore but we also have a couple other assistants that can recruit. Pure recruiting Coach Young may be the best.
As happy as this recruiting makes me, the fact that these asst. coaches can apparently also coach is just as exciting.

Reaction Score
As happy as this recruiting makes me, the fact that these asst. coaches can apparently also coach is just as exciting.

All three assistants have head coaching aspirations, and I hope they get their chances, especially Kimani and Kenya as first-timers. That means you might lose them eventually, but in the meantime, they’re committed to excelling, learning, and proving their worth. Incredibly solid staff here, from the head coach and assistants to the less visible guys (DBO, video guy, etc.).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom